02 wrx AT slip - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-01-2011, 09:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

ninjajnin is an unknown
Exclamation 02 wrx AT slip

I am a new owner of an 02 WRX and sadly although i love the car it has been nothing but a headache. i bought the car about 3 weeks ago, (and i have bought many cars before and know what to look for), bt the subaru pulled the wool over my eyes. i test drove the car and it didnt have any problems that i could detect, no engine knock, no tranny problems, no smoke, tons of power. after signing the check and handing to the dealer i was on my way home.... i made it about 3.5 MI down the road and it sounded like a rock was tumbling inside of my engine. after a lil research i concluded that it was a spun bearing. my suspicion was confirmed after paying a mechanic 3500 to do an engine swap. so last saturday i got my car back and i notice the transmission sliping under hard acceleration. bt it wasnt very bad so i thought nothing of it but maybe low fluid level. on sunday i didnt drive the car at all. on monday i got in it to drive to work and it backed out of the parking space perfectly fine. when i put it in drive it shifted into gear fine but would just rev up and bearly crawl to 5 mph when at 5k rpm. no grinding sounds or anything it just wouldnt go anywhere. I checked the fluid level and it was at full, although the fluid was a goldish-brown color (and not red like tranny fluid should look like). before the engine swap the tranny didnt show any signs of slipping. so now that you have my back story this are the questions that i am asking myself and would apperciate any help i can get from yall.

*could this be due to loss of fluid in the torque converter?
*could this be due to the engine not being properly installed into the tranny?
*could it just be that i bought a car with a bad motor and tranny, and since the tranny never did this before the engine swap, is it possible that it just decided to take a complete shit at the worst possible time.

If there is anyone out there that has had a similar problem with thier WRX could you please give me some advice. Thanks and it will be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-01-2011, 03:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Could be any number of things, but I'd start with the cheapest fix and work my way up. Sounds like you need to change the fluid and trans filter to begin with and go from there.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#3 Old 12-03-2011, 05:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jontheginger is an unknown
You said TE trans fluid was a Goldish brown color? Like the color of engine oil or different? I know a few Podunk shops where they have a good mechanic an then a broom pusher that gives a helping hand every now and then. Perhaps the broom pusher put oil in by mistake? Things happen

Jon - sadly no WRX yet
#4 Old 12-03-2011, 07:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

ejs0806 is more helpful than not
cheapest is always best place to start..but yes it sounds like a torque convertor