02 wrx. severe hesitation at 4500rpm - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-08-2008, 12:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

burtonboy759 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to burtonboy759
02 wrx. severe hesitation at 4500rpm

so i have a bit of a problem.
i was coming home the other day and decided to punch my car down the street. only to unfortunately find my car hesitate severely at about 4500-5000rpm at WOT. It sounds like gargling almost.

My CEL flashed the first time it happened ( a misfire as im aware)

so i ran my codes P0420 P0546 and P1312. all exhaust codes including my EGT. i have a full turboback and upipe. along with a ihi turbo (not sure what it is 34 or 39 most likely, the tag is really hard to read and i bought my car at a dealer )

i did not pull any codes for a misfire. so tonight i changed my spark plugs. this did not change anything. it still bogs and hesitates at the same throttle range at WOT. the car runs and idles smooth when not beating on it. what possible places could i look next? the coil packs were fine so ignition is out of the question.

im thinking fuel system? possibly my pump, filter, or injectors. my only question is why would a clogged fuel system only experience this problem at WOT?? any advice would be sweet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-08-2008, 08:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

shamrock is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonboy759 View Post
so i have a bit of a problem.
i was coming home the other day and decided to punch my car down the street. only to unfortunately find my car hesitate severely at about 4500-5000rpm at WOT. It sounds like gargling almost.

My CEL flashed the first time it happened ( a misfire as im aware)

so i ran my codes P0420 P0546 and P1312. all exhaust codes including my EGT. i have a full turboback and upipe. along with a ihi turbo (not sure what it is 34 or 39 most likely, the tag is really hard to read and i bought my car at a dealer )

i did not pull any codes for a misfire. so tonight i changed my spark plugs. this did not change anything. it still bogs and hesitates at the same throttle range at WOT. the car runs and idles smooth when not beating on it. what possible places could i look next? the coil packs were fine so ignition is out of the question.

im thinking fuel system? possibly my pump, filter, or injectors. my only question is why would a clogged fuel system only experience this problem at WOT?? any advice would be sweet

You are putting more fuel through it. Try resetting your ecu. Disconnect the neg battery cable, then pump the brakes 3 times and let her sit for 15 min. Hook the cable back up and take her for a drive. If you have further questions go over to Nasioc.com and ask there. This site is so small hard to get answers sometimes.

_Ryan_
2004 Wrb "BUGEYE"
http://www.misubie.com/
#3 Old 08-08-2008, 09:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
[/B]

You are putting more fuel through it. Try resetting your ecu. Disconnect the neg battery cable, then pump the brakes 3 times and let her sit for 15 min. Hook the cable back up and take her for a drive. If you have further questions go over to Nasioc.com and ask there. This site is so small hard to get answers sometimes.
to tell you truth i've honestly had more luck posting problems on here and getting better answers than nasioc. i already posted on there and some guy thinks i should go out and buy a ossicoscope (spelling?) and listen for soundwaves between my TPS sensor and crankshaft position sensor. if im gettin people to tell me to do that then im just gonna have my local shop do it and save me the hassle... and i tried resetting the ecu. no go on that. it just seems that my car at WOT is hesistating because, yes im injecting more fuel, however my car is basically choking on it, which leads me to assume the fuel isn't burning off in the cylinders. i could be wrong idk
#4 Old 08-08-2008, 10:13 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
What form of EM are you running? If your answer is "I don't know", then that's your problem. Take it to a tuner preferably.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#5 Old 08-08-2008, 05:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
What form of EM are you running? If your answer is "I don't know", then that's your problem. Take it to a tuner preferably.
exactly what im doing when i get $400 together. im a student (19) and my income is low. im just trying to find a possible fix before doing that.
#6 Old 08-08-2009, 10:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

ad0784 is an unknown
Hey, i have the same model WRX and i am experiencing what seems to be the same issue as what you have had. Have you had any luck in fixing what the problem is??? Any help appreciated, cheers
#7 Old 08-09-2009, 12:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
There's a simple answer. YOU NEED A TUNE. If it's turbo swapped without a proper tune, you're screwed.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
#8 Old 08-09-2009, 04:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
not to mention if they didnt upgrade injectors and fuel pump. Im pretty sure if they didn't upgrade injectors then your stockers are maxed out and getting fuel cut.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#9 Old 08-11-2009, 08:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

Squamr is an unknown
I had a very similar issue with my '04. It turned out the car had modified injectors. The injectors appeared to be stock from the exterior, so we didn't check them at first. I still had to swap the injectors because I didn't know what they were flowing at, (or you can get them flow tested).

If the car has a bigger turbo and all the mods you listed, it most likely has larger injectors as well. If it is not tuned for the correct injectors too much fuel will be released when it goes into open-loop (probably about 4,500rpm)

If you can find the previous owner, you might be able to ask him/her what it has exactly for mods.

From my experience I would advise you to stay away from a dealer when it comes to any tuning type issues, they might flash it back to the stock settings and then you will lose any tune that the car had, which is probably what happened to it already.
#10 Old 09-15-2009, 10:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

mpz530 is an unknown
I'm really not sure of your setup - but I had A LOT of hesitation around 3500-4500K when punching it hard...yet over 5K I could hit peak poost after pushing it through. Mine was bone stock except for a Cobb tune, and later reflashed to stock.

Turns out I had a turbo that was starting to go..and needs to be replaced (per the dealer).

I'd defintely listen to everyone else's posts and suggestions first as I can assure you they probably know more, but just letting you know from recent experience(this week) that severe hesitation when punching it can be a turbo. Mine is in the shop as I write this - and a dealer repair is by no means cheap and quick.

After all if your car is a 02 I'm sure your turbo has some wear and tear on it...