Subaru WRX Forum banner

02 wrx knocking from top of engine driver side

10K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Dah808kine 
#1 · (Edited)
OK so I'm new here..
I've had my subie for a while now.

But recently I had just hopping in the car to leave walmart so I start up the engine and and drive off (the car was warm already I was there for a very short period of time)
As I was driving off I noticed a slight knocking noise but figured was just one of suzies normal ticks... it went away with high rpm and the cars performance hasn't changed a bit it still hadoesn't good power and ran normal other then that knock... when I got home I noticed it's only happening In lower rpm, and gets quiter as the engine revs up higher..
The noise I'm here is coming from the top half of the engine on the driver side closers to the front but not close enough to the timing belt area as I'd hoped it to be only a tentioner...
I made a video in hopes one of u may be able to point me in the right direction to go with this... any help is greatly appreciated as I frigging love my subie.. lol and plus I've had a really bad day... and this had my it worse... lol

Here is the video, it's the only way I could figure out how to show it to you guys, here is the link

See less See more
#3 ·
sounds like a tractor. but i dont hear any rod knock. usually they are loud and sporatic.

probably just your paranoia over your baby but keep an eye on it, i cant say its nothing.

not the greatest audio though so its hard to guess.

#4 ·
That doesnt sound like knock to me, Knock is more of a marbles noise, higher pitched. Check for exhaust leaks of loose vac lines, sounds like low idle as well.

Could be a valve issue or possibly a timing issue but it doesnt sound like rod knock to me.

#5 ·
Thnx guys for ## input, ya the noise does kinda sound like a tractor lol

I will be checking the timing belt tentioner today hopfully I'm in high hopes that that's what the noise is... when it stared making the noise it was night time here so kinda hard to check

I'll keep an update

#6 ·
yea if im to guess, that noise is coming from something that spinning... like an idler or pulley or something. are you due for a timing belt? and if recently done did you do tensioners and idlers? maybe your water pump? just things to keep an eye on.

#7 ·
OK guyso so I am down to the timing belt now I know know the tentioner is bad the belt is a little loose and the tentioner jumps around and isn't holding tention very well.... now I want to take off the tentioner ### that's what I think is knocking around in there but I noticed that I can't get my timing alined I think it may have jumped timing... but the thing is the car still ran perfectly fine... it's idled at 500 since I've had the car...

So I've alined the cam shaft pullys but the crank shaft pully won't line up with its marks it has now gotten beyond me I'm now sure how to put it back into timing so I may be screwed...

I don't plan on taking the tentioner out till I figure out how to get it timed properly...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.