02 wrx knock questions - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-13-2012, 06:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

yog22 is an unknown
02 wrx knock questions

hey guys so i got a 02 wrx. ive had it a couple months now. its ran awesome since ive had it. it has intake turbo back exhaust. a bov. and its stage 2 on a cobb accessport. and supposedly the internals are built but who knows. but i recently have been watching the knock reading on the accessport and sometimes on light throttle it will read 1.0 knock... and if i rev it to rev limit or my launch control setting it will read 4.2 knock... and sometiems if i shift hard it will read 4.2 for a slight moment right as i shift into the next gear....is this bad? i dont know what normal is... sometimes it seems like i can hear a slight knock while the car is idling but i'm not sure. the car runs great and stil has all the power it had when i bought it. should i be worried? or is this normal? a guy at oreillys said thats completely normal. said his 450 hp eclipse hits 26 knock when he revs it to his launch control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-13-2012, 08:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

bad grocerygetter is a helpful contributing member
Different car...that mitz has a whole different set of readings, and what those numbers mean. Curious...what is the dynamic advance multiplier at?

Kevin.
Cobb ap stage 2 ots, catless uppipe, catless turboback, Cobb Sf intake.
#3 Old 03-13-2012, 09:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
If his dynamic advance is low and the knock is where its at. The only thing I could say is if the internals are forged especially if the pistons are forged. Then I'd say its completely normal. My car has the pistons side and top coated and I still get low knock levels. My tuner said is impossible to get rid of knock on forged pistons because the pistons aren't going to as flexible and quiet as the OEM pistons that the knock sensor is made for. Believe me...I've had two forged engines and this one I was very paranoid about when I first got it back. I monitored everything at first and had tons of questions for my tuner.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#4 Old 03-13-2012, 10:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Good call Kirt. That was something I was thinking but a little unsure of...being I don't have a built block

Kevin.

Last edited by bad grocerygetter; 03-13-2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: spelling
#5 Old 03-13-2012, 10:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Yeah, I was getting anywhere from 0 to 1 knock at idle and if I was getting on it. I was getting 0 up to 4 on the knock at the highest end. Its from the resonance (noise) and stiffness of the forged pistons. Now, if the OPs car does not have forged pistons. Then he should definitely get it check out.

Kirt
#6 Old 03-14-2012, 07:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
It's impossible to get rid of knock on any car, forged pistons or not.
#7 Old 03-14-2012, 07:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

yog22 is an unknown
how do i know what the dynamic advance multiplier is set at? and supposedly it has forged pistons in it. so should i be ok? i have been limping it around sscared to blow it and really just wanna feel ok to drive normal again lol
#8 Old 03-14-2012, 08:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Dam will be in the live data menu on the Cobb ap. Should be alphabetical so somewhere near the top of the list.

Ps. It's not an adjustable thing. Just a reading on how generally happy the ecu is with what the car is telling it. On that car you want the number 16. Anything less means the ecu isn't all that happy and is detuning the car for its own protection.

Kevin.

Last edited by bad grocerygetter; 03-14-2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: ps
#9 Old 03-14-2012, 08:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

yog22 is an unknown
alright i checked it and it reads 16
#10 Old 03-14-2012, 08:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

yog22 is an unknown
and i can hear a knock in the motor at idle. and if i rev it it gets louder. coming from right near the turbo area of the motor. but at idle i get a 0 reading on the knock sensor.. adn when i rev it i sometimes get 0.3 and sometimes get 0
#11 Old 03-14-2012, 10:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
It's impossible to get rid of knock on any car, forged pistons or not.
Thanks Justin, I was under the assumption it was a lot easier to get or keep the OEM engine to a lower knock then what I was getting.

Kirt