02 wrx clutch need help - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-21-2010, 09:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

ky-tech is an unknown
02 wrx clutch need help

so i did the clutch in my buddys 02 wrx and got it all togther and now i cant get the pressure plate to disengage. there is no air in the slave, and i see it pushing the fork about a half inch to an inch. the fork is in the slots on the the release bearing..
i have no clue whats wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-21-2010, 09:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
are you sure that the throw-out bearing is properly installed?

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#3 Old 09-21-2010, 09:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

ky-tech is an unknown
i mean yea it clicked into the pressure plate and looked just like the one i took out
#4 Old 09-21-2010, 09:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

jdowrx is an unknown
I don't know if it matters or not, but when i did mine i placed the throw out bearing on the input shaft on the transmission, then slid the tranny in.
#5 Old 09-21-2010, 11:07 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdowrx View Post
I don't know if it matters or not, but when i did mine i placed the throw out bearing on the input shaft on the transmission, then slid the tranny in.
That's correct. More often than not, you need to shove the fork back, vigorously by hand (move the pin from the slave cylinder out of the way) to snap the release bearing into the pressure plate . I've forgotten that trick before, had no clutch, and had to pull the intercooler back off to do that. Viola ! clutch again

I'll bet money that works for you. I don't know why that isn't in anyone's installations instructions
#6 Old 09-21-2010, 11:15 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky-tech View Post
i mean yea it clicked into the pressure plate and looked just like the one i took out
If you snapped it on before you re-assembled, you've got some re-doing ahead. If it's an Exedy, you can gently pry the release bearing off and re-use. What kind of clutch is it, and where did you get the instructions ?
#7 Old 09-22-2010, 09:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

ky-tech is an unknown
its a spec stage one and yea i snapped it on before reassemble. and i did not get any instructions im a tech i do at least a tranny/clutch a week just never done a subie, i knew bc of a buddy you had to pull the release fork pin before tranny removal.
but if i can get the throwout bearing off the clutch i will be in good shape ?
#8 Old 09-22-2010, 08:00 PM

Yeah, it's kind of a weird install. Gently twist a screwdriver to separate the ring that snaps the release bearing to the pressure plate, to get it apart undamaged. The bearing goes on the fork, on the tranny shaft, then after you get the bell housing back together, use my advice above to shove the fork to snap them together. You probably didn't get the fork all the way into it's slots on the bearing, would be my guess.