02 wrx (CEL) - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-09-2010, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Dougie is an unknown
02 wrx (CEL)

It is a 02 wrx, with a full Cobb exhaust and Cobb stage II chip. I need to pass inspection so i reprogrammed the ECM back to stock. So really were only working with a full turbo back Cobb exhaust. Im getting a P0420, and i have read that its a rear sensor code, but i also dont have a cat. So will replacing that sensor do anything or dose anyone know if i can use like a spark plug fowler to pull the sensor away from the exhaust stream, a resister i can put inline or anything? I just need to pass inspection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-10-2010, 12:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
the easiest way would to just get an opensource stage 2 tune with that particular code disabled

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #3 of 13 Old 06-10-2010, 09:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
I tried all tricks to cheat the O2 sensor code thing when I first installed the DP/UP. None of them worked, the only thing that worked was to reprogram...

I got a question though: How would it be possible to pass inspection with no cats? I did not have that problem while in FL but now in PR I do have to pass inspection... which I do, with a few extra bucks, if you know what I mean... ...just wondering
post #4 of 13 Old 06-10-2010, 11:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
some states inspection just check to make sure there are no emmission DTC's but then others like NY, CT, CA, MD and others but the sniffer in your tailpipe

which is why as soon as I started college in FL I got FL plates before I even checked into the dorms for the first time

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #5 of 13 Old 06-13-2010, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Dougie is an unknown
Fuapiti - There suppose to visually inspect for cats but i know a couple inspectors who will let that slide, however in NC any car 96^ has to bee hooked through your OBDII connector and it connects directly through the state computer so you cant drop and extra 80 buck on the table like you could a couple years ago
Now with that said, I have a tuner chip that disables the light but i believe it also disables communication. So can anyone list some of the cheats I can maybe try?
post #6 of 13 Old 06-13-2010, 03:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

like I said before if you get a new tune with the CEL disabled you will be fine

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
post #7 of 13 Old 06-13-2010, 05:28 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
The Cobb stage 2 took care of disabling that. Have no idea why you flashed back to stock when the Cobb stage 2 map will easilly pass emissions............

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #8 of 13 Old 06-14-2010, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Dougie is an unknown
Well this is my cousins car, he said when he took it to get inspected they couldnt connect to his ecm at all and was told that it was because his tune chip. So i told him to re-flash it back to stage II and take it to a different place. So ill let ya'll know what happens after he dose this.
post #9 of 13 Old 06-14-2010, 09:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

03stg2wrx is an unknown
the way I passed inspection was that I got a fake cat welded in my downpipe and I parked close to where I was getting the car inspected and unhooked the negative on the battery for like ten minutes then hooked it back up and went over and presto chango she passed inspection and the light came back on on my way home
post #10 of 13 Old 06-14-2010, 09:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03stg2wrx View Post
the way I passed inspection was that I got a fake cat welded in my downpipe and I parked close to where I was getting the car inspected and unhooked the negative on the battery for like ten minutes then hooked it back up and went over and presto chango she passed inspection and the light came back on on my way home
So you just drive around with a CEL on all the time? Is there some reason you don't disable the CEL or do a manual fix?

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
post #11 of 13 Old 06-14-2010, 09:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

03stg2wrx is an unknown
yea I just drive around with it on, my tuner forgot to disable the code that reads for a cat in the rear o2 sensor and I dont feel like driving 2 hours away again at the moment for him to fix it, it has to flashed on the ecu to clear it completely
post #12 of 13 Old 06-14-2010, 09:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
You should find someone local with a tactrix cable if your tuner is using open source. You can just pull the map off the car, disable the cel, flash it back and problem solved.

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
post #13 of 13 Old 06-14-2010, 09:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

03stg2wrx is an unknown
I dont think I have anyone around who can do that, I really wouldnt want a non professional to work on my map anyway really haha