Subaru WRX Forum banner

02 wrx Car won't start acts like dead battery????

13K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  bad grocerygetter 
#1 ·
Back in January my 02 WRX had a issue with starting. I can get in the car turn the key and it will start right up most times. Then there are times i get in it, turn the key and my whole gauge cluster dies out and it wont start or turn over ( acts like a dead battery )..... I cycle key on - off numerous times and finally it will start. A couple times i went under the hood wiggled the power and ground on battery thinking it might help. The terminals did seem a lil loose so i tightened them both up, but same thing still happens. Replaced all the grounds, and a new ignition switch, and the problem went away for about 2 months.

Now it is back again, had AAA come and the guy put a jump pack on the car and amazingly the car started up. But as soon as i shut it off it acts up again. Was told my battery had dead cells and that was the problem. So i went out and bought a new battery, installed it and cleaned all terminals. worked perfect for a day. Come out this morning and same problem all over again. Turn key on everything works, as soon as i try to turn the car over the whole cars electrical goes dead, as soon as i turn the key back off and on i have full power again.... Trying to love my 1st subaru but its getting harder by the day

#3 ·
Alternator checks out good, when car is running it is charging the 14v and did a load test on it and is ok. Weather doesnt play a part at all, cause it has did it in 10 degree weather and yesterday in 70 degree weather, and this morning was about 40 degree. so is just random hit and miss, but lately it wont even start, to where before i can cycle key numerous times and it would finally start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.