02 wagon STI turbo problem - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-13-2010, 12:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

626wagonSTI is an unknown
02 wagon STI turbo problem

Ok so im new to the subaru family, which i love, and i been having a problem with the turbo spool. It seems like when i get to higher RPM the turbo spool goes from 15psi down to 12-10 psi and back up. Like if its bogging out. First gears at low RPM it pulls hard and spools nice untill it starts going towards the 5-6 RPM. I feel it more on 5th gear. Dose not pull like it shoud. Please help.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-13-2010, 12:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
So you have the STi turbo on your 02 WRX?

What mods are on the car?

The boost going down to 10-12 after you peak is normal, but going back up is odd. To me it sounds like a boost control issue. List out your mods and we can probably help you more.

-Chris
#3 Old 06-13-2010, 04:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
So you have the STi turbo on your 02 WRX?

What mods are on the car?

The boost going down to 10-12 after you peak is normal, but going back up is odd. To me it sounds like a boost control issue. List out your mods and we can probably help you more.
Its a complete EJ25 swap. Thats about it for now. It runs awesome except the part of the turbo lag. Its hard to describe, but i been told that it might need some tuning...?
#4 Old 06-14-2010, 04:36 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Did you purchase the car like it is now? Its possible that the tune isnt exactly right, but like mentioned could be the BCS also.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#5 Old 06-14-2010, 08:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

03stg2wrx is an unknown
It might still be running the stock wrx fuel pump if you didnt do the swap, its wayy to small to meet the demands of a vf39, try a sti fuel pump. it bolts right in like stock
#6 Old 06-14-2010, 09:47 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
It can't be a "complete EJ25 swap" unless you changed everything over including the petals. You need to be much more specific about the mods that are on your heavily modified car to get any kind of good advise.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#7 Old 06-15-2010, 12:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03stg2wrx View Post
It might still be running the stock wrx fuel pump if you didnt do the swap, its wayy to small to meet the demands of a vf39, try a sti fuel pump. it bolts right in like stock
koo thanks.... good info and ill get it up to its 100% soon
#8 Old 06-15-2010, 12:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
It can't be a "complete EJ25 swap" unless you changed everything over including the petals. You need to be much more specific about the mods that are on your heavily modified car to get any kind of good advise.
what do you mean>? i havent done anything to it. All i did was buy the shell basically and did a swap , stock EJ25 to my knowledge. Didnt change out the fuel pump
#9 Old 06-15-2010, 10:44 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If you are going to replace the fuel pump, get at least a warlboro. They can be found for around $80-100 and drop right in also.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#10 Old 06-15-2010, 11:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

03stg2wrx is an unknown
I lucked out and got a whole sti fuel sending unit for 50 bucks shipped on ebay and I just used the pump out of it and it's working great on my stage 2 setup, from what Ive seen, the walbros have to be ziptied on and modified alittle bit I think.
#11 Old 06-15-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03stg2wrx View Post
I lucked out and got a whole sti fuel sending unit for 50 bucks shipped on ebay and I just used the pump out of it and it's working great on my stage 2 setup, from what Ive seen, the walbros have to be ziptied on and modified alittle bit I think.
I have seen guys max out their stock injectors easily on a stage 2 tune and Im pretty sure the stock unit was under some strain to supply the fuel. My walboro dropped right in with no issues what so ever. Im sure either would work, but I would get something that might be a little over the top just to be safe (thats just me).

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#12 Old 06-15-2010, 03:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

koo soo my understanding is STI fuel pumps is the way to go..... Its more like a 50 50 so i have to decide and find out what suits my car better. Koo thanks brothers... another thing, i posted this question on the right thread but looks like no ones has been on there for a while. do you guys know of a good website to purchase rain guards and jdm parts. Exterior parts. thanks peace
#13 Old 06-16-2010, 11:30 AM

Mach V motorsports and theres another one, but cant remember of the top of my head, sorry.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"