02 subaru tons of white smoke and oil out of exhaust! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-08-2009, 05:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

quick02subar is an unknown
02 subaru tons of white smoke and oil out of exhaust!

I bought a 02 subaru wrx with 71,000 miles on it. on my way home the fogs machines went off in my exhaust i have never seen so much smoke and oil is in exhaust. compression test front left 95 back left 145 front right 140 back right 145. obviously the one cylinder is having problems where do i start ?
?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-08-2009, 06:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful 03 CrazyTaxi is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via MSN to 03 CrazyTaxi Send a message via Yahoo to 03 CrazyTaxi
I suggest a leak down test to see if you need a head gasket, piston rings, or new heads. That 95 is really low, that's the cylinder where your problem is obviously.

VF34'd Corvette Killer aka Doug
#3 Old 04-08-2009, 07:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
My guess is bad piston rings and/or piston. Hopefully no damage was done to the block itself. Regardless it needs to be torn apart for an exact diagnosis.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#4 Old 04-08-2009, 07:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
What is all done to the car for mods? I think it's time for the engine to come out and take it apart, perfect time to built it up stronger as well or if you are on a tight budget you can just replace what is wrong, My bet is that the piston is cracked and or the rings as well. I wonder if whoever owned your car before you turned up the boost the engine ran lean burned hot spots in the piston maybe took out the head gasket and thats where your coolant (white smoke) is coming from and then the piston broke and thats your oil prob. Just a guess at it.
#5 Old 04-08-2009, 08:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

It has a upgraded turbo, perrin fuel injectors and fuel rail, aem fuel pump, dg catless exhaust,intake and front mount intercooler from what i can see. a mechanic said the same as you messed up piston... what should i do ? buy a long block from subaru ? rebuild this one ? find a used motor ? where do i find them at ? thanks for the help.
#6 Old 04-08-2009, 08:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
A bad piston doesn't necessarily mean a bad block. You should really take it to a trusty subaru mechanic and see the condition of it and then go from there. It depends if you are on a budget or if money is not a problem. You could always do a hybrid build with the 2.5 shortblock if money is not an issue.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#7 Old 04-08-2009, 10:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Well it doesnt grow on trees around my house but, i would like to build the best possible motor i could. might as well since it will be out of the car anyways. how much money you talking ? where would i find the block ?
#9 Old 04-11-2009, 12:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

oldfartracer is more helpful than not
You could also go to your local dealership and order a STI short block.
#10 Old 04-11-2009, 01:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfartracer View Post
You could also go to your local dealership and order a STI short block.
That will cost more and alot of other places will throw in a free gasket kit as well. Go to this website this is where i bought my 2 STI short blocks and they are great people to do business with.

P&L Motorsports - Home
#11 Old 01-17-2010, 06:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

busadave is an unknown
it might be a good idea to drop the down pipe and ck the turbo for oil,the seals may be blown.