1Likes
  • 1 Post By turmic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-24-2013, 10:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

zach is an unknown
'02 Impreza WRX STi

Hey there,

I drive a well-maintained 2002 Impreza WRX STi w/ 145,000 miles and no mods (other than paint job). At about 140,000 I noticed that the car would start "knocking" whenever the car had been driven for more than 30 minutes and I made turns to the left or right. After getting the CV axels replaced at 141,000 miles, I noticed that the issue remained (what a waste). Around 143,000 I took the car into two mechanics who told me that the car was definitely drivable, but that the transfer case (which I was later told Subaru doesn't have) was going out and would need replacing.

Over the last 250 miles, the car has decreased in power by about 90%. Though the engine revs well, if the car is on any kind of incline, it will not go. And if the car is on a flat drive, it takes a good 10-15 seconds to get up to 30mph.

I've been told that either I have to spend the cost of the value of the car (~$4500) to get a new transmission or that I need to find a salvage yard that has my car model and swap out parts (which would still run upwards of $1000-1500.

I wanted to reach out to you to see if you had any previous experience, thoughts, or advice.

Thanks!
z

+

Zach McNair • Creative Director

zachmcnair.com | @zachmcnair

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-24-2013, 10:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

RayRay is an unknown
Well if all you need is a new transmission, then the $4500 will have your car running in tip-top shape. If you venture and replace parts with a possible high mileage or damaged parts, you will be right back where you started. If the car is in mint condition, then little by little bring it back to life. If the engine is running great and no problems, the new transmission will bring it back to that "new feeling" again.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
#3 Old 08-24-2013, 11:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
Hey there,

I drive a well-maintained 2002 Impreza WRX STi w/ 145,000 miles and no mods (other than paint job). At about 140,000 I noticed that the car would start "knocking" whenever the car had been driven for more than 30 minutes and I made turns to the left or right. After getting the CV axels replaced at 141,000 miles, I noticed that the issue remained (what a waste). Around 143,000 I took the car into two mechanics who told me that the car was definitely drivable, but that the transfer case (which I was later told Subaru doesn't have) was going out and would need replacing.

Over the last 250 miles, the car has decreased in power by about 90%. Though the engine revs well, if the car is on any kind of incline, it will not go. And if the car is on a flat drive, it takes a good 10-15 seconds to get up to 30mph.

I've been told that either I have to spend the cost of the value of the car (~$4500) to get a new transmission or that I need to find a salvage yard that has my car model and swap out parts (which would still run upwards of $1000-1500.

I wanted to reach out to you to see if you had any previous experience, thoughts, or advice.

Thanks!
z
Is your car RHD and imported? If no, you don't own a STI.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
BLAZE2099 likes this.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#4 Old 08-25-2013, 11:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
He owns a WRX, not an STI despite his post.

I'd look for a used '02-early '04 WRX transmission. You're still going to spend a good amount if it's the center diff that's bad.