Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Road Course/Autocross Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f71/)
-   -   WRX Drifting (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f71/wrx-drifting-10322/)

awd>fwd 01-12-2006 04:42 AM

WRX Drifting

Anybody ever SUCCESSFULLY pulled it off? I have gotten it sideways a few times in 2nd through long intersections (of the race tracks) and really long wet corners. Real fun, you just need to know WHERE to do it and how to do it without pulling the e-brake because that is terrible for our diff's. Just a good downshift and wheelspeed.

ManicsWrX 01-12-2006 09:04 AM

WTF NOOO :eek:

When you actually pay for the car its a diff ball game, I dont even nail my accelerator when I race...I just hit it enough to get some boost. Ya I know :tease: but I hate to beat on it....I never SMASHED the gas when racing, I usually....acelerate to hit some boost then shift round 5,500RPM.

Ha to come to think about it...... I hit it ONCE pretty good and I was suprised it had that much power WTF Last time I do that for quite some time lol!Laugh!

Nose Nuggets 01-12-2006 02:13 PM

i can slide real nice in the rain. its short in the dry. i need a rear sway :|

awd>fwd 01-12-2006 05:25 PM

I dont like to try it in the dry weather, but were on our 25th straight day of rain so it's super slick out, with windstorms almost every night.

9d2TSi 01-12-2006 07:18 PM

[QUOTE=Nose Nuggets]i can slide real nice in the rain. its short in the dry. i need a rear sway :|[/QUOTE]

Me too bro, me too. :(

leewmlds 01-18-2006 08:21 AM

i can't in the rain. my car understeers like no other. when i had the oem all season tires i could in the dry. i love a trail of white smoke. i broke the syncros in first gear about 40,000 miles ago trying to do it with a friend in the car. i jammed it into first a 15-20mph, cut the wheel full lock and i would start to rotate, then i would fallow it as long as i could without doing a doughnut. usually 5-10 seconds

nick4592 01-18-2006 10:41 AM

Yes....a good friend of mine takes his STI to drifting events all the time...Here's an older Video I posted a while back [url]http://media.putfile.com/ScottyBLAH-M-Drifting-His-STI[/url]

awd>fwd 01-18-2006 08:14 PM

WOW...my drifts do get pretty sideways but DAMN I went out to lunch with my buddy in his 88 RX-7 that is modded some and jeez he could get it straight sideways and could whip it back at any given time fully under control.

Nose Nuggets 01-19-2006 01:16 PM

[QUOTE=awd>fwd]WOW...my drifts do get pretty sideways but DAMN I went out to lunch with my buddy in his 88 RX-7 that is modded some and jeez he could get it straight sideways and could whip it back at any given time fully under control.[/QUOTE]

aaahhh, the joys of RWD. its almost effortless to slide a rwd car with descient hp. but its not nealy as comical as say, a neon sliding 92 degrees to his direction of travel, thats funny stuff.

awd>fwd 01-19-2006 08:02 PM

I love in the RX7 looking out the passenger window to look forward. He's pretty good with it too. He doesn't exactly beat on it, but he tests it's integrity.

awd>fwd 01-20-2006 12:16 AM

So I dont want to drift all the time, sometimes I want to stick on the road, but when I do, what are some good mods to help? The STi center diff is completley different right? So I couldnt use the STi center diff controller? I just went out and tried it a few times while out on a grocery getting run got it sideways under control and snapped it back on command, which was nice. Then I got a weak understeer slide in 1st, 2nd seems to be working much better. Is there any reason for that? When I got it sideways real nice the car behind me passed me when it changed to a 4 lane road and they both gave me a thumbs up!Thumbs Up

Nose Nuggets 01-20-2006 04:38 PM

you want mods for good traction? go take a driving class. if not, get good tires

dont bother with your suspension, unless you want less understeer, then get a rear sway and be done with it.

mxboy15u 01-21-2006 10:17 PM

Be careful doing this, wheel bearings really don't like taking huge side loads.

Nose Nuggets 01-23-2006 12:42 PM

the wheel bearing is the least of your troubles. it costs what? $100 to get some new bearing and greese, and an hour to pack and install them. it costs me at LEAST $600 bucks to get new tires.

03 CrazyTaxi 03-07-2006 03:52 PM

With the power split between the front and rear wheels, I didn't think it was possible. That was until I was leaving a local mall making a right on dry pavement and I was able to keep it at about 45 to direction of travel for a good hundred feet. Nice straight line, people behind me where like :eek: . My friend just about crapped his pants.