Subaru WRX Forum banner

Would you be scared if you saw this in the rearview!

9K views 53 replies 26 participants last post by  Outrider 
#1 ·
I love my wrx but it is still in kinda stock form (intake,bov,short shift) I no i would be scared if this came up on me.

Tell me what you guys think do you have any evo stories anybody smoke on lately?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You know I have never even seen one on the road! I see Lancer with the stupid wheel package (a lot of em) but never an Evo. I have seen a few SRT-4s. Plenty of modded Eclipses.

Speaking of Eclipse. This guy in a new one with the V6. I had to hand him his. I turn left at a light and get about 250 ft down the road and he comes from the same turn and comes blasting by me to the red light ahead. So I coasted up to the red and I was laughing. I tore away from the light and he tried to keep up. Once wasn't enough and at the next light I did it again. Then he whipped behind me and turned down a sidestreet. I guess he was trying to get in front of me to turn. !Laugh!

#4 ·
Pretty funny I saw my first Evo on the road today! Man the FMIC on those looks tiny. Especially after seeing the pic you posted here with the TurboXS one. I'm sure it's not much different in size to WRX IC. Nice looking Silver one. They should offer a wagon version!! Has anyone seen the new Sportback Ralliart they are selling? http://www.mitsubishicars.com/mitsubishistreet/

I don't like the looks of the back end. Too straight up and down like a Volvo though.

#11 ·
i am telling you...the evo's i have had experience with are not taking too kindly to mods. transfer case blew out of it, clutch out of it, etc.

and, it shares nothing with the 4G63 that most people know. Engine management, turbo(reverse scroll), head, intake, block...you get the idea. the only thing it shares is the name.

i dont like teh interiors, either. fatboys DO NOT like the seats in them. nor the SRT4 either....due to seats. i have "custom contoured" the seats in the wagon...due to my fat ass crushing the bolsters down. :p

#13 ·
um i dunno i guess car and drive lies then.. they said evo ran 14.0 in 1/4 and that the sti did a 13.6.. i know both cars can do faster but i guess that is an average.. but i also saw and evo at the track run a 13.9 stock .. it got beat by a srt that ran a 13.6 .. A kid at my school has an evo that runs 12s.. and even he said the evo stock runs about a 13.9+.. so you can maby pretend that the evo does 13.5 stock.. but its not going to happen ..

#15 ·
i used to work at Renn Kirby Mitsubishi last year, i sold like 3 or 4 evo's...they have severe quality issues!! Every one except for one was in the shop for something within the first month. Mostly cause idiot kids were driving the piss out of them before they were even broken in. One kid my roomate just sold one to burnt up the clutch within 350 miles...hardly even a tank of gas!!! One guy i sold one to, 3 days after he had it, spent almost 8 grand at RaceRedi (perfomance shop in town) he replaced and upgraded the turbo, intercooler, got full race exhaust, up and down pipes... and a bunch of other stuff...he showed me the dyno jet tests 467 whp!!!! ummmmmm i bout crapped my pants:D

other than that you see them always ragged out real quick and having trouble....id take the subbie over that for quality

#16 ·
CaptnBoost said:
i used to work at Renn Kirby Mitsubishi last year, i sold like 3 or 4 evo's...they have severe quality issues!! Every one except for one was in the shop for something within the first month. Mostly cause idiot kids were driving the piss out of them before they were even broken in. One kid my roomate just sold one to burnt up the clutch within 350 miles...hardly even a tank of gas!!! One guy i sold one to, 3 days after he had it, spent almost 8 grand at RaceRedi (perfomance shop in town) he replaced and upgraded the turbo, intercooler, got full race exhaust, up and down pipes... and a bunch of other stuff...he showed me the dyno jet tests 467 whp!!!! ummmmmm i bout crapped my pants:D

other than that you see them always ragged out real quick and having trouble....id take the subbie over that for quality
And after that dyno run he replaced his tranny and clutch, not to mention engine internal. 467 whp is custom work, not bolt ons for 8k.

Thats over 625 crank HP.

-kobi

#17 ·
WRXblurr said:
i never knew but the evo runs a 14.0 stock.. i mean yeah thats faster then are cars.. but its nothing to be that scared of.. simple bolt ons will take care of that..
the '99 St205 setup I have in my GT-Four runs 13.9 stock and i've had no problems laying waste to every EVO i'e come across except one that was heavily modded and had a built motor. As you said...they're also boosting 19psi stock to my 11psi stock...a lil maxed out from the mitsu factory...

#18 ·
I work for Tempe Mitsubishi here in the Phoenix area, (suppose thats why I drive a Scooby) they do have some quality issues as well as super crappy clutches, replaced two in the last week and a half, each with less than 750 miles on them. they also have major issues with the heaterboxes. they bind up and usually stick on the hot side. going to be funny when its 120 degrees here and they have no cold A/C! (racing tip:wait till the evo driver passes out from heatstroke, then stage!) fast cars out of the box but they seem maxed out performance-wise without doing turbo upgrades and other big dollar mods.

#19 ·
EVO and STI

Man I have a 02 WRX with the following... downpipe, exhaust, UTECH, Intake, BOV and fuel pump and I came up on an EVO on the express way and we were in like third gear just crusing and then I pulled next to him and he dropped it and took off but I shited into second and just pulled him down soo bad by the time I hit 4th I was like 3 cars ahead of him, but im not sure he knew how to drive it..... and Also a buddy of mine has an STI with downpipe, UTECH, Exhaust and boost controller and he couldent turn anything faster than me at the track... In fact I smoked his ass all night long.... Kinda weird HUH?

#20 ·
ex-employer had an '04 EVO

... he had it 2 months and traded it cause he got tired of being on I-81 w/out cruise control. Does a lot of 4+ hr. biz trips so I can't blame him. He's also got an NSX, and a 350Z Track Ed., but said he was really impressed with the EVO the short time he had it. He's had various M Bimmers and Porshes over the years so he's pretty spoiled!

It is the only one I have ever seen an EVO up close. Didn't ride it, but love their wheels and that carbon fiber tail wing! Their interior makes the Sube's look like BMW quality, I HATE the EVO's dash!
--dB

#22 ·
Re: EVO and STI

Boost12wrx said:
Man I have a 02 WRX with the following... downpipe, exhaust, UTECH, Intake, BOV and fuel pump and I came up on an EVO on the express way and we were in like third gear just crusing and then I pulled next to him and he dropped it and took off but I shited into second and just pulled him down soo bad by the time I hit 4th I was like 3 cars ahead of him, but im not sure he knew how to drive it..... and Also a buddy of mine has an STI with downpipe, UTECH, Exhaust and boost controller and he couldent turn anything faster than me at the track... In fact I smoked his ass all night long.... Kinda weird HUH?
No, not weird at all. It all is about the drivers skill. If a skilled driver is driving that STi, or any STi for that matter, he should be able to beat you.

#23 ·
Evo doesn't do 14.0 1/4 and STi doesn't do 13.6 1/4.

STi with GOOD driver is in the 12.9-13.1 range, 13.2-13.4 with an average driver. 13.5+ would be with a bad driver or broken car.

A GOOD driver in an Evo can pull 13.3-13.5, I'd suspect, since I've seen people report 13.4 totally stock. An average driver should be only a little slower than that...maybe 13.6-13.8. 14.0+ would be with a bad driver or broken car.

RN

#24 ·
Buschur racing has gone 11.60's on the stock turbo with just bolt-ons, a WRX with the same mods would only run 12's..and mid to high 12's at that ...but there is a guy around town with the baddest WRX i have ever seen, he is running 30 p.s.i and a 100 shot of gas..he walked away from a fully built 383 stroker motor in a 6 -speed camero and that was from a roll, not a dead stop..and my car runs low 12's and that camero could only beat me on top end so i know that WRX has to atleast run low 11's, maybe high 10's

#26 ·
renichms said:
Evo doesn't do 14.0 1/4 and STi doesn't do 13.6 1/4.

STi with GOOD driver is in the 12.9-13.1 range, 13.2-13.4 with an average driver. 13.5+ would be with a bad driver or broken car.

A GOOD driver in an Evo can pull 13.3-13.5, I'd suspect, since I've seen people report 13.4 totally stock. An average driver should be only a little slower than that...maybe 13.6-13.8. 14.0+ would be with a bad driver or broken car.

RN
Holy crap, if I could get the STi around a 12.9 I would probably pass out. I can't wait to take her to the track :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.