The wagon is back on the track ! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-15-2008, 11:21 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Thumbs up The wagon is back on the track !

After a couple of rod bearing issues taking my POS 944spec racer, and me out of racing for a while, the wagon is back on track duty. I should have stuck with the reliable car all along I ran it very gently at our May NASA event, because the clutch was starting to slip, and I was about 10k mile past due to replace the timing belt.

I did both of those jobs a couple of weeks ago, and I can proudly say, they went very smoothly. I had the engine swinging by a chain in about 3 1/2 hours, and it tool about half a day to do the belt and clutch and stab it back in. I also discovered a questionable wheel bearing upfront, which I took care of before hitting the track.

I am on a very low budget most of the time, but especially now, since I'm paying somebody else to rebuild the POrSche engine this time. I got some cheapo Sumitomo HTR Z tires ($62 at tirerack) and headed up to Pueblo Motorsports Park (Colorado) for our usual NASA Rocky Mountain midsummer event. The wagon is now classed TTD since I am back to the stock intercooler, no more front lip and splitter, and running on street radials.

I received my instructors license earlier this year and made my student my main focus, running time trials basically for s**ts and giggles, since I knew I would be a bit slower this year, and I just wanted to have fun and work on my driving. My student was quite a challenge too !

It was hotter than hell when I arrived on Fri night. The track was running open drags (the main straight of the road course is a drag strip) and I thought about paying the $15 to collect a couple of time slips, but realized sleep was more important.

Sat morning was surprisingly cooler, and stayed that way until after lunch. In the morning sessions, I ran what I knew would be my fastest times of the weekend. Those laps were about 3 seconds slower than what I was running last year on R comps. Good enough to be tops in TTD Saturday until one of the other instructors went out in my competitors M3 and beat me by 1.5 seconds (ouch)

The rest of the day and weekend, for that matter, I just goofed off during the HPDE 4/TT sessions, working on car control as the Sumitomos got hot and greasy. I spent a lot of laps getting sideways, riding as much curb as I could to unsettle the car, and pretty much being a hooligan !! Lots of fun, not very fast, but a great way to drive at, and a little past the limit, to refine technique, especially driving off line. We had an awesome bunch of drivers in our group, which created some interesting traffic, and passing opportunities without ever putting each other at risk, even when going three wide into some turns. What a hoot !!

I did post the fastest time in TTD for Sunday I'll add pics later if anybody snapped some I can use. I can't recommend enough to get yourself and your Subaru (or whatever) out on track, esp with NASA for the time of your life. Most fun you can have fully clothed I'll report on my first ever autoX next weekend, Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-16-2008, 12:59 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Wagon. Its so great to hear your back out there with the subie. Sounds like an awesome time. Glad you enjoyed it. I hope there will be pictures to follow up on this. Great having you back, and reading about your weekends again.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 07-21-2008, 04:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

stagger_lee is more helpful than not
Sounds like good times. Cant wait to get out to the track.

Still love my 4 rings, but now all I see is stars.
White Collar Hippie
#4 Old 07-21-2008, 07:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Thanks for the time you put into these reports! I'm looking forward to your future successes

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#5 Old 07-22-2008, 12:16 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Good stuff!

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#6 Old 07-22-2008, 12:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Longshot is a helpful contributing member
Send a message via AIM to Longshot
Excellent, congrats on getting your instructors license and posting the fastest time on Sunday!

Mike
DTRacing Tuned
#7 Old 07-22-2008, 03:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

awd4life is an unknown
Great to hear about someone that gets to do what we all want to! Thank you sir!
#8 Old 07-22-2008, 09:28 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Thank's. Just remember, it's never too late to have a happy childhood

Only my daughter's hockey career (goalie !) is holding me back from really getting serious about the racing. Why couldn't she have taken up knitting or something ? I'll post up an account of my first cone encounter soon.
#9 Old 07-23-2008, 12:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

tom_noland is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to tom_noland Send a message via Yahoo to tom_noland
I just did a SCCA event and it was awsome with the exception of working the course.....but that was ok ### i got to see some awsome cars running up close

Tom
'05 WRX Wagon (RIP)
Cobb AP Stg 2

RIP baby....Here I come STi.
Stupid deer.