Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Road Course/Autocross Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f71/)
-   -   Track diary dribble 5/26/07 ASR (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f71/track-diary-dribble-5-26-07-asr-18601/)

wagonracer 06-05-2007 11:50 PM

Track diary dribble 5/26/07 ASR

Well, I just can't seem to get enough track driving experience to keep me happy. I'm trying to sieze every available opportunity to work on my driving skills. On May 26th and 27th, there was an informal, unsanctioned Time Attack event at Arroyo Seco Raceway. I was only able to work it out to be there on Sat., the 26th. It takes me about 5 1/2 hours to get there so I drove down on Friday night through some torrential down pours. Got a cheap room and a good night's sleep. Got to the track early to see if it was damp, and to get as many runs in as I could before it got too hot.

Saturday was really just a loose open track day, with timing only happening on Sunday. I was kind of bummed to find that out, but was running on street tires and street brake pads, so I knew I wouldn't be too competitive. The reason for street tires is that my R compounds are heat cycled out (still plenty of rubber, but not sticky anymore) and I wanted to save what's left of them for the NASA event the following weekend. The reason I'm on street pads is that the EBC yellow stuffs that I ordered to try out still haven't arrived, oh well.....

There were three other WRXs, one wagon and two sedans. Nice to share the track with some Subarus for a change. The wagon was running a big turbo (I forget which) and was struggling with grip, so he spent a lot of time adjusting his camber. I gave him some camber bolts that I had extra so he could get a little more out of his set-up. It must have worked because he won his class on Sunday.

All I did with my time was drive a [I]bunch[/I] trying out different lines, braking technique, controlling throttle lift oversteer etc. Did some lead and follow with some of the other cars just to compare speeds and times. I checked my odometer at the end of the day and figured I had done about 85 laps before I took off, with about 9 MPG on 91 oct pump gas. Not a bad day for the low $50 track fee.

Here's a link to some photos taken by one of the local tuner nuts, good turn out of some very cool cars. The datsun Z club cars were quick, but the two fastest were the Viper (of course) and the white Nissan racer #27

[url]http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1257670&page=3[/url]

It was definitely the fix I needed to get warmed up for our next real event with NASA. No issues with the car to report....those all waited to surface until the next weekend at La Junta. More on that in another thread. Thanks for reading !Thumbs Up

chevarian113 06-06-2007 10:27 AM

Sounds like a blast. I want to get a serious day like that at the track to just run hard and lots of laps. The event at CHP, I probably only got 25 laps or so, maybe 30....

wagonracer 06-06-2007 01:14 PM

NASA weekends are really where it's at (better than open track days). Eight 20 minutes sessions = a lot of laps. The instructors are great, as are the other folks you run with. Next Colo event is July 21 22 at Pueblo. You should really try to make that.

chevarian113 06-06-2007 02:14 PM

[QUOTE=wagonracer;156297]NASA weekends are really where it's at (better than open track days). Eight 20 minutes sessions = a lot of laps. The instructors are great, as are the other folks you run with. Next Colo event is July 21 22 at Pueblo. You should really try to make that.[/QUOTE]

How much does it cost? I have a busy next month with vacation and everything, so not sure I could come up with the dough. Would be fun though! Im afraid I have to get some upgraded brakes pretty soon if I keep this up. Mine were getting mushy at CSP. Hopefully my stock tires will last me the summer, so I can just buy snow tires and hold off on a new summer set til next year. Hopefully, by next season I will have a good setup to do quite a few events.

wagonracer 06-06-2007 02:47 PM

registration for Pueblo will probably be $229 with or without an instructor.

chevarian113 06-06-2007 03:40 PM

holy friggin hell. I can't do that.. I'm a poor college student. :-D

newtothegame 06-06-2007 04:39 PM

Nice write up and pics wagon. I love reading about your events and seeing the action that takes place.!Thumbs Up