Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Road Course/Autocross Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f71/)
-   -   track allignment, crossover, subframe, brake bleed etc. (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f71/track-allignment-crossover-subframe-brake-bleed-etc-16912/)

wagonracer 03-04-2007 11:32 PM

track allignment, crossover, subframe, brake bleed etc.

2 Attachment(s)
That's right, our first NASA track event is rapidly approaching, and I really want to be ready this year. Last season, I started with just a good thorough check of the car and a new set of brake pads.

I've already written up my race seat and harness install, and my homefabbed brake ducts aerodynamics (soon to be updated) but here's what's kept me busy lately.

After installing koni strut cartridges, whiteline "control" springs and Noltec camber/castor plates, I needed an allignment. A shop was recommended by a fellow NASA guy down here in NM, and they knocked out a perfect track/street friendly set-up. I told them what I wanted and they gave me exactly that with as close to zero toe and cross camber numbers possible. [url]www.chetswheelallignment.com[/url] A well deserved plug is shown below, along with the allignment specs.

This weekend I installed a ceramic coated highflow crossover pipe from Grimmspeed, along with port matched, polished, and coated manifolds. The workmanship on everything was beautiful, the fitment on the non-flex crossover perfect. [url]www.grimmspeed.com[/url]. The install was pretty straight forward, except I forgot how much of a bi-atch the o2 sensor on the passenger side manifold was. Took a couple of hours, the trick was starting at the UP side leaving everything a little loose, until all the pipes were lined up, then tighten it up, reinstall heatshields, and go driving to cure all that nice new ceramic coating.

I also installed Perrin's rear subframe bushing and lock bolt kit, to give the rear handling a little upgrade. My car's just a stage two with a large TMIC, but I was experiencing a pretty good thunk back there between 1st and 2nd, plus anything I can do to stiffen things up will pay dividends on track. The hardest part of that install was getting the studs out of the differential housing, but a little well directed anger did the trick.

Last week I was stuck waiting for all the parts I just installed, so I took the time to give the brakes some attention, by completely changing out the fluid with ATE superblue, and giving the calipers a fresh coat of ceramic paint (red) My front pads were pretty shot, so I put in my back-up set (Axxis ultimates) that had about 2/3 meat left. I'll probably run the first event with those, and am debating EBC yellow stuff or Hawk HP + for my next set.

I also pulled the stock grill and made one out of the same screen that's in my hood scoop and brake duct covers. It looks pretty tough, I'll post up photo's soon. One other thing I had to get corrected, were my maps from PDX tuning. [url]www.pdxtuning.com[/url] I did some data-logging and they made the revisions needed. The car is running great and I think the only thing I have left, is getting vinyl made for my newest sponsor [url]www.paradisepower.net[/url] oh, and perfecting the front lip and checking this and that, ordering another set of race tires etc. etc........

[ATTACH]2166[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2167[/ATTACH]

IBAUCLAPlaya 03-05-2007 09:04 PM

I assume you sent you manifold to Grimmspeed for porting and coating. I just got the crossover pipe as well, but am waiting to install until I get my stock mani ported.

wagonracer 03-05-2007 10:39 PM

No, WRXed turned me on to a guy in Wyoming for the PnP+C he did an excellent job, very reasonable. I believe he may be looking do more of them, as a side biz. I'll post here if he does.

Big Sky 03-05-2007 11:42 PM

This is the time of year I like to crawl underneath and check everything for torque- very common for things to loosen up (especially w/ track use)- I put together a short tutorial w/ torque specs/wrench sizes

[url]http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80548[/url]

I p&p'd my oe manifolds/cross over pipe- was a BIG PITA- very time consuming (probably not for someone who knows what they are doing :))- had them jet hot coated too. I looked at headers, but adding top end and sacrificing low end wasn't worth the tradeoff for me. "Fixing" the oe manifolds was the better choice :)

I'd consider saving the Ultimates for the street and find a more agressive (and higher temp) pad- personally I'd look past the HP+'s too- in the Hawk line look at the HT-10's.

IBAUCLAPlaya 03-05-2007 11:42 PM

How much you pay for it if you don't mind me asking? Also did you have to send in your manifold and have the car not running for a while or did he send you the manifold then you sent him yours?

wagonracer 03-05-2007 11:53 PM

He had cores, I had to wait a couple of weeks to get them, about the same time waiting for the Grimmspeed pipe. It worked out perf they both showed up on Fri. I just sent the cores back to him, so no down time. After getting my deposit back ($75) the PnP and coating cost $130.00 I think the guy is working too cheap, because he did a beautiful job, port matching to my UP and the crossover ID, awesome deal !Thumbs Up

Thanks for the brake tip BigSky, I'll do some more pad research. And yes this definitely the time to make sure everything is tight, I've spent quite a bit of time under the car lately doing just that. Thank god it's starting to warm up, we hit the 50s today !

WRX_JUNKI 03-08-2007 01:00 PM

Wow that's a nice write up on torque'ing down everything to spec. Too bad I don't have near enough tools to do that and half the time I don't really know what your referring to. =(

Big Sky 03-08-2007 02:47 PM

A 3/8 and 1/2" torque wrenches are very good investments if your going to be tinkering w/ your car much :)

That's why there is pictures! :D

Nose Nuggets 06-05-2008 06:49 PM

i hate you....

mosc 06-06-2008 11:00 AM

Don't reply to spammers. I will delete their crap and then you'll just look like an idiot replying to a 15 month old thread with something stupid like that. Let NN be an example to you ALL!

Big Sky 06-07-2008 11:26 AM

why does Nose Nuggets hate me?

:lol:

wagonracer 06-28-2008 01:49 AM

hate....with 15 months between posts....hmmm ROFL Torque wrench envy maybe. I think there are support groups for that.