Towing my race car with the WRX - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-03-2008, 01:05 AM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Towing my race car with the WRX

Yeah I know..... it's nuts, but I put a hitch on the wagon today and wired it up for tow lights. I'm going to be flat towing my Porsche racer with the wagon :eek: My reasoning goes like this:
It's a Subaru
It has a great suspension on it
I'm easy on clutches (got 115k out of the OE)
New clutch installed last month
I take really good care of my brakes (and always carry spares)
I can't afford another vehicle
I can't afford a gas guzzler
I can't repeat the weekend at Gateway (St. Louis) with a spun rod bearing and no way to get home.
I can race the Porsche and smoke the M3s and Vettes in Time Trials with the tow vehicle (how many people can do that ?)
I can sleep in the wagon
I can tow a small trailer for other occasional needs

I am taking my chances with going over tow capacity. The factory rating is 2000 with a class 1 hitch. The race car weighs 2400, but I'm flat towing, so there's pretty much no tongue weight. I believe that if driven easy, the drive train and brakes are up to the task. Driven hard, I could be risking big problems. I'll only tow twice this year (I think) and depending on how it goes, will reevaluate for next season.

Life is an adventure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-03-2008, 01:14 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Hey wagon, good luck with both the towing and the racing. Snap a few photos of the subie towing the Porsche.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 08-03-2008, 12:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
Hey wagon, good luck with both the towing and the racing. Snap a few photos of the subie towing the Porsche.
Definitely snap a few photos, that's got the makings of a great marketing campaign...

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#4 Old 08-03-2008, 02:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

suddenthomas is more helpful than not
Don't have to justify yourself to use tow the car and have fun. Your not the first using your Subie for towing. Its not as bad as the Camaro towing a 22ft boat that I saw in Colorado.
#5 Old 08-03-2008, 03:00 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I think they raised the tow rating to 2500lbs on the 2.5L models, didn't they? Just saying, the frame should handle 2400lbs just fine.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#6 Old 08-04-2008, 12:54 AM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'm driving 1300 miles to Chicago on Thurs to pick up the race car, then back to Hastings NE to race on Fri., and home after the weekend. I'll have a pretty good idea how well the set-up is going to work, with over 1300 tow miles (mostly flat until I get close to home, where the mountains are) Should be a blast, and maybe a just little tiring

Oh, and to add to the danger of it all, I'll have about 400 lbs of spare parts and tools in the car too. Any guesses on what my tow mpg will be ??
#7 Old 08-04-2008, 09:51 AM

Garage
I'd get a 4-wheel hitch and not one of those 2-wheel thingies that put stress on the tow vehicle (sounds like you might already have this?). Other than that I think it'd be fine.

How fast do you drive on the highway? That's the real question. If you go 70 the whole way, I say 23mpg.

#8 Old 08-04-2008, 11:38 AM

I'm using this puppy Draw-Tite Adjustable Tow Bar, 5,000 lbs. 2480 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com and magnetic lights. The hitch on the car is a Curt bolt on, class one. It bolts where the rear tie downs mount on the frame rails. It also relocates the outside exhaust hanger.
#9 Old 08-04-2008, 10:23 PM

I hooked up the hardware to my buddies racer (same as mine) and pulled it around a bit today. It felt good, but kicked back a little in turns. I think I'll soften my rear sway bar to remedy that (it's on full stiff, from the last track outing) I'm ready for a road trip.... 2600 miles plus a weekend of racing Sha-frickin'-Zam !!
#10 Old 08-05-2008, 07:35 PM
WRXpert

LiL Shoaf is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to LiL Shoaf Send a message via Yahoo to LiL Shoaf
Did you wire up electric trailer brakes?? Might be needed to slow all that momentium.

02 WRX.. "It's fun when it runs.. Problem is that it hardly ever does..."
#11 Old 08-05-2008, 10:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
It actually increased the tow capacity too. If the trailer has brakes....I read that in the owners manual.
#12 Old 08-06-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Shoaf View Post
Did you wire up electric trailer brakes?? Might be needed to slow all that momentium.
I'm flat towing the car (no trailer) and towed vehicle braking systems get a little spendy. There's a really simple mechanical one though, that I might invest in if I feel like I need it after this trip. Readybrake RV Tow Bars and RV Surge Braking Systems for Car Towing - Night Shift Auto
#13 Old 08-06-2008, 10:48 AM

Garage
$340 for a hitch and some cables? Wow, talk about profit margin

#14 Old 08-06-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
$340 for a hitch and some cables? Wow, talk about profit margin
It's the brilliant engineering that costs so dearly. There's a fulcrum and everything
#15 Old 08-11-2008, 11:05 PM

Here are close ups of the tow bar set up on my buddies race car. I forgot to take my camera out of the case.....again
Name:  tow hitch 001.jpg
Views: 14741
Size:  188.2 KB

Name:  tow hitch 002.jpg
Views: 8281
Size:  211.2 KB

Name:  tow hitch 003.jpg
Views: 14740
Size:  206.5 KB