Subaru WRX Forum banner

Sweepers part 1: late apex

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Nose Nuggets 
#1 ·
If the turn precedes a long straight section, it is very important that you leave the turn at a highest possible speed. In such case you may use a late apex line.To do this you may stay wide in the entrance and travel further before turning than you would initially expect. The diagram shows a resonsble line, depending on the dimension of the turn. This approach counter-intuitive, and the rookie driver will amost always turn in too soon.you may need some opportunities to try different approaches until you agree that is really works. Of course, it is possible to stay out too long in some hairpin turns. :)

#5 ·
if we are in the same car, and i exit a turn 2 MPH faster then you, that means i will be going 2 mph faster when we start braking for the next turn. so if you go into a turn 10 mph faster then i do, but come off the turn 1 mph slower then me, then i will be 1mph faster then you at the end of the next stright.

#7 ·
Actually the late apex will brake later than hugging the inside, because the straight line is longer before turn, but turn in speed is slower because you have to turn more but the exit corner line is more straight and longer, so you will have a higher speed in the exit of corner. Of course there has more than one techniqe to apporach the sweepers turn. Thats why I worte down as part 1.

#8 ·
Here is an example. two same car, the car in front is car A and car B is just right behide. A choose to use the late apex and B use hagging the inside. B will brake and turn before the A. and B may hit the exit point earlier than the A thats means B may pass A in the turn, but B may be passed by A before the next turn in the straight line. Just like nose nugget said slow in fast out and faster out mean faster in the hole straight line section before the next turn.
B have a faster turns in speed than A, but it have to maintain the same speed while he is turning untill a later monent, B turns in slower and later than B, but he can full throttle the car way before the apex and car B, so it will have a higher exit corner speed and make the turbo on boost earlier than B.

#9 ·
Rain_Racer said:
it's funny to use the proper lines when you are racing go-karts because other people will claim that your kart is just sooo much faster than theirs.

depends on the kart, if its the kiddie karts at the local put put golf shop then chances are, covering the least amount of ground is faster (in other words, NOT the racing line), unless your carying more speed the the cohesion of the tiers can handle, you have no buisness taking the largest radius.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.