sparco installed - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 02-23-2007, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
sparco installed

I have had many preparations to make on the car to be ready for the upcoming NASA season, none more important than safety gear. I really wanted to go W2W this year, but even with the generosity of a new sponsor www.paradisepower.net , I was still short on time and money to get a cage in the wagon, and opted to try to kick some butt in the TT program. None of the safety gear needed for racing is required in Time Trials, but I knew that having a race seat and harness would be safer and probably improve my driving skills, just by being firmly planted in the seat.

I scored a slightly used Sparco Pro 2000 on E-bay, and purchased a 6 point 3" FIA approved harness and seat base from www.cp-racing.com (run by a subie driving rally racer) I wanted to avoid the extra hardware of the slider for the seat (to many things to break), and opted for side mount brackets. The Sparco seat base is intended for the slider but the bolt holes match up for the side mounts. The question was, how will the height, angle and distance be ? I got lucky that the distance to the pedals was perfect for my long legs. The height took a little messing with the hole options on the side brackets. I used the highest setting on the rear and the second hole for the front. My ass was still a touch low, so I used a stiff piece of 1" foam under the seat pad to get it just right. I also got the side lumbar pads, as I will drive thousands of miles to the tracks we're running this year, and have to be comfortable on the highway.

The next dilemma was, where to mount the harness(s). I installed a harness bar so the shoulder straps were easy, but the lap belts took a little doing. The seat base has a tab to put an eye-bolt through on the tunnel side, but the angle was wrong. I put an eye bolt through the tunnel side seat base hole (into the floor ), which also holds the support for the harness bar. It isn't ideal to have those all fastened at the same point, but it sure is sturdy. The factory belt mount at the base of the B pillar was the obvious point on that side. All I had to do was peel back the carpet to get the old bolt out, cut a hole in the rug, and thread in an eye-bolt. The substraps are fastened to the bolts that join the side brackets to the base for now. I'll have to drill holes through the floor board to get the ideal angle for those.

Everything was pretty straightforward, I disconnected the battery when I pulled the stock seat, to disarm the airbags. I will leave them that way for racing, and will either use a resistor to get rid of the airbag light, or just put a small sticker over it. I have done a bit of canyon carving since I got it all installed, and am very happy with my seating position, and love the improved control. I definitely get more feedback from the car now that I'm planted well, I can't wait to get to the track. Here are a few photos

Name:  seat  grill 002.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  146.0 KB

Name:  seat  grill 003.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  199.2 KB

Here are the mounting points. I couldn't get a good shot of the eye-bolt on the B-pillar

Name:  seat  grill 004.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  120.5 KB

Name:  seat  grill 005.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  144.0 KB

Name:  seat  grill 007.jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  154.2 KB

The extra strap on the harness bar (on the left) is the factory shoulder belt I haven't decided what to do with that. I will get it all out and paint and pad the bar, when I get the chance.

Name:  seat  grill 006.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  156.5 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-23-2007, 12:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not

looks sweet man.

is it comfortable enough to be a daily driver?

how long did it take you to get it all put in

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-23-2007, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
The comfort part is fine, running errands would be a little awkward with getting in and out a lot, because of the side bolsters and the harness.
I think it took me about three hours, but a lot of that was spent getting things figured out. The factory seat is out with 4 bolts, 2 wires. The Sparco side brackets are 4, brackets to base 4, 4 bolts to put it in the car, not a lot of wrench turning. Probably took longer just to get the strap lengths correct !
post #4 of 19 Old 02-23-2007, 01:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

DesiSuperman is an unknown
are you going to do the passenger seat too?
post #5 of 19 Old 02-23-2007, 01:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

sweet man.

id really like a race seat but when im done with this year of autox i will figure out if its plausible. i dont think that it would be reasonable because my car is my daily driver.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
Now I got nothing.
post #6 of 19 Old 02-23-2007, 03:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

2006WRXTR is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to 2006WRXTR Send a message via Yahoo to 2006WRXTR
Wagonracer:

Very, very sweet. I am envious. Looks awesome.

My WRX is a daily driver too, but heck, I gotta have that! Gives me something to look forward to. Nice!

Rich
Latest: Meth Injection, Open Source
post #7 of 19 Old 02-23-2007, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiSuperman View Post
are you going to do the passenger seat too?
Not likely anytime soon, I'm too selfish !! (and broke) The Pro 2000 was made in '05, so I have 3 more years of racing in it according to the rules. I'll probably move up to a seat with side head bolsters when I cage the car, and make this one the passenger seat.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-24-2007, 09:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

blue blurr is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to blue blurr
What were you planning on running the wagon in if you were to race it? SCCA or NASA?
post #9 of 19 Old 02-24-2007, 10:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

03'WRXDriva is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to 03'WRXDriva Send a message via Yahoo to 03'WRXDriva
i believe he said nasa at the verys first sentence he just posted
post #10 of 19 Old 02-25-2007, 09:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

blue blurr is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to blue blurr
Sorry, I meant what class in either SCCA or NASA.

SFR SCCA Spec Miata #18
post #11 of 19 Old 02-26-2007, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

For the immediate future TTC (time trials). Once the car is caged I'll run in PTC (performance touring) I'm not sure where the SCCA would put me, T2 maybe....
post #12 of 19 Old 02-26-2007, 12:46 AM
WRXtuners Member

is PTC head to head racing or still time trial type racing?
id like to see some vids of h2h this year if thats what it is.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
Now I got nothing.
post #13 of 19 Old 02-26-2007, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

yes PT is W2W racing, hence the need for a cage, and all the other safety gear. NASA also has a pro series, the USTCC (united states touring car championship) which is what I have my sights set on. Check it out online
post #14 of 19 Old 02-26-2007, 01:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

sweet man youl make it. i expect to see a silver wagon winning some ustcc races in the near future.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
Now I got nothing.
post #15 of 19 Old 02-26-2007, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I hope the course officials will let me run with a pile of groceries in the back. I love passing "real" sports cars with my little grocery getter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement