WRXtuners Member

2006WRXTR is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to 2006WRXTR Send a message via Yahoo to 2006WRXTR
I love all those times of joy...

When parts appear from far and near
Like Samco hoses or safety gear.
A smile on my face as the truck arrives
To hand over a box, oh what's inside!

Sorry, I didn't mean to go off tangent...

Rich
Latest: Meth Injection, Open Source
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 02-13-2007, 10:35 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006WRXTR
I love all those times of joy...

When parts appear from far and near
Like Samco hoses or safety gear.
A smile on my face as the truck arrives
To hand over a box, oh what's inside!

Sorry, I didn't mean to go off tangent...
The man waxes poetic, but would it be Meguiars ??

Allright then, I installed the harness bar to test fitment (still primered) and it fits perfect. It is an e-bay special for $160 shipped. For all you thrifty shoppers and e-bay skeptics. Here it is
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subar...spagenameZWDVW
I didn't take any pics because it goes in so easy, a caveman could do it !! I also took out the factory seat, to see what I've got to deal with to install the sparco. Trying to fab something to use the factory base looks ridiculous. I'm leaning toward dropping the $200 on the WRX specific base and slider from Sparco, but I don't really see why I would have to use the slider with the side mount brackets I already have. I'm going to talk to my buddy at checkpoint racing tomorrow for advice on that. My other option is to have someone fab me a base, which could be a really safe and solid solution. I don't care if the seat slides, as I don't expect anybody to have to drive my car any further than say, a car wash or parking attendant.. I've never seen a parking attendant in New Mexico, however. Anybody dealt with mounting one of these already here ? Thanks

Last edited by wagonracer; 02-14-2007 at 12:04 AM.
#18 Old 02-14-2007, 06:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

2006WRXTR is an unknown
The bar looks sweet. I there a way to install the factory seat belts as well as the bar, or do the factory beats need to be removed completely in order to install the bar.

How heavy is the bar?

Rich
#19 Old 02-14-2007, 08:53 AM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
It mounts to the shoulder strap bolts (in the lowest position), and the strap guides still fit in place, so yes factory belts still work. I'm too cheap to buy a second sparco and harness, so that's a good thing !! With 1.5" DOM, the bar is pretty stout, I'm guessing around 20 lbs. I have read feedback on a forum somewhere that it is as effective as strut tower bars for chassis stiffening. I can see how that is possible. I would not have a back seat passenger with it installed, unless it was really well padded. There's a decent amount of room still back there, but one "WHAM" and the place would be bloody :eek:
#20 Old 02-14-2007, 11:13 AM
WRXtuners Member

2006WRXTR is an unknown
I would have to do that. Add the padding to the bar, that is.

Please post pics when everything is installed. Personally, I am anxious to see how your interior looks with the race seat AND the stock seat. I am planning on doing Autocross this summer, and want to get a seat for it. If I can mange to only buy one seat/brackets/bar... I can do it for the first race in March.

So many mods... so little money.

Rich
#21 Old 02-14-2007, 06:47 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Not a bad looking bar for the price. I had the Sparco bar, but I just got sick of it and have ppl in my back seat and its heavy. Get a camera mount for it! And yes I can vouch it does feel like a strut bar...
#22 Old 02-14-2007, 07:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx3r is more helpful than not
i installed some race seats in a previous car and had one one lame issue. i installed everything and went to shut my door and well it didnt shut. the seat was too wide haha so i just moved it an inch to the left. just double check as you go.

bigger and better than ever
#23 Old 02-14-2007, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBAUCLAPlaya
Not a bad looking bar for the price. I had the Sparco bar, but I just got sick of it and have ppl in my back seat and its heavy. Get a camera mount for it! And yes I can vouch it does feel like a strut bar...
I need the bar for my harness, it'll give an excuse not to cart any of my daughters hockey teamates around in the Subie. I've got a FX16 GTS for that. I do want to get track video going, just don't see budgeting it for a while.

Oh, thanks wrx3r, as tight as I fit in the seat I don't think I'll have that problem, but I'll measure the shoulders to be sure
#24 Old 02-22-2007, 01:28 AM

Well, the seat and harness are in and feel good I used the mounting point at the rear of the seat base for the lap belt on the tunnel side, and the factory belt anchor on the B pillar. This gave me angles just like Sparco (Schroth) recommends. The harness bar angle and distance look good too. For the sub straps I went to the bolts that hold the seat to the base at the rear corners. This is not ideal, so I'll have somebody look at it and give me professional advice. It looks to me like the only way to get that better, is to drill new holes in the floor. I got lucky in that the seat base (no adjustment) put me in the right spot for my long legs, with the seat back distance from the wheel perfect for relaxed arm position. I went and drove one of our nearby canyon roads with a little gusto, and came back wondering why I hadn't done this sooner. Big difference !! I'll post pics and an install write-up when I'm not so fried......
#25 Old 02-22-2007, 01:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
sweeeeeeet.
i wanna see pictures.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.