New suspension, race rubber !! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-29-2007, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
New suspension, race rubber !!

After working my ass off this winter to get the car ready, I finally got a chance to try it out at Sandia Motor Speedway this past Sunday. It Is a very challenging circuit with lots of things to hit if you go off. Here's a lap video, it's a couple years old, but the track hasn't changed a bit.
http://www.swms.org/video.htm

I am now running on Hankook Z211 DOT Rs (C50 med compound) with koni struts, Whiteline "control" springs, and Noltec camber/castor plates. Holy cow !! What a difference I wanted to run the track on my winter tires, to get a comparison, but I needed to change my swaybar settings, which is easier with the wheels off, so I just slapped on the track tires. I drove the course in November on a set of Dunlop Direzza's (tire shop mistake !) and was timing in the 1:49 - 1:51 range. My first session out, I ran 1:42s Subsequent sessions got me down to the high 1:40s. Because of the walls, and wanting to heat cycle the tires in properly, I didn't go full out. I never got the tires to talk to me much, but did get a couple of four wheel slides in the hairpins. I think that the grip is awesome, but I won't get much warning when I've reached the limits. I'll get a chance to find those limits on a track with some run-off.

The fellow with the black Porche 996 that's behind me in my avatar pic was there, and I can tell you, he won't be that close to me again this year. He's running the same tires too !! There were very few cars taking advantage of the track time for testing. A very quick '74 240Z with race slicks was the only car lapping faster than my little grocery getter. I took the test opportunity to get tire temps with a pyrometer, and of course pressures. I measured inside, outside and center temps. I haven't gotten an allignment, since the suspension just went on, but by using marks on the cam bolts, I'm thinking that it must be pretty good from the evenness of my tire temps. Cold pressures of 38 & 35 didn't seem quite right so I ended up with 40 and 35. Coming off track they were 46 and 39 and felt good with no signs of roll over. My front brake rotors were at about 550 F after a cool down lap, but it was a cool day (45-50) and I think the brake ducts are doing their job.

I set the Konis right in the middle of their adjustment range, and it felt right for this track that has a lot of dips, bumps and banking. I'll need a lot more experience with those to get an idea where they need to be for different surfaces. I will be getting a full performance allignment next week from a shop in ABQ. They have corner scales so I am going to at least find out how much to compensate damping on the different wheels. I'll be getting them to set me for max positive castor. I'm hoping for 4.5 - 5 degrees, but don't know if the plates are good for that much. Camber up front, I'm going to ask for 2.4, rear 1.5 and no toe.

I am very pleased with the new handling, lap times bear out that it was well worth the effort, and with an allignment, should only improve. I will be ordering another set of the Hankooks in a C 30 hard compound for later in the season, when the tracks are hotter, and I don't think I'll get more than 3 or 4 weekends out of the first set. I hope there's more, but..... They are certainly a great deal at $110 a tire. Too bad that's a close out price. Thank god I had a chance to get out on track, before I lost my mind waiting for the season to start. I'll post some on track shots if my buddy got any that are usable.

Name:  1 crop.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  124.2 KB

Name:  3 crop.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  172.5 KB

Here's the wear after 3 15-20 minute sessions, not bad....

Name:  new wheels 006.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  202.7 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-30-2007, 12:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

kh15 is an unknown
man you have a really great looking wagon!
post #3 of 8 Old 01-30-2007, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Thanks, she's a little beat if you see her up-close. 90k miles and a lot of track time takes it toll. I'm going to try to clean her up a little this spring.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-03-2007, 01:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

666wrx666 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to 666wrx666
looks good though man keep up the racin! i might see you down there next season hopefully!

Luke
Owner of "THE DIME"
02 wrx
post #5 of 8 Old 04-13-2007, 04:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

phillepe is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to phillepe
quick question, wagonracer, 90k on the stock motor? Run into ANY problems of any kind? turbo's, internals, trans, anything?
post #6 of 8 Old 05-14-2007, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, I never saw the last post. To answer your question simply, no problems. I'm at 96k now with a lot of track time. Still stock motor, tranny and turbo. That's why I've been driving Subarus for 20 some years !!
post #7 of 8 Old 05-15-2007, 09:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

Nic17fly is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Nic17fly
Thats freakin awsome... I would have figured something broke after 90k especially with lots of racing time. But Subaru is a stout little car.

Nicolas

BUGEYES FOR LIFE
post #8 of 8 Old 08-13-2007, 09:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

DEADBEATDUDE is an unknown
wagonracer. i know this is way off topic but how did you get rid of the roof rails i think it looks so much cleaner that way

drew
2006 wrx wagon stage 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement