Meet the new wagon !! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-24-2010, 08:02 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Meet the new wagon !!

Well, I got my swap done !!

Quick history: Corvette runs red light smashes front end of my car, insurance company can't decide on totaling or repairing, decides on repair but me and the body shop don't want to chance it, I pay off car, retain for parts, find 2002 TS wagon with seized engine and rodent infestation for $600 in Oklahoma, tow TS home......

So I stripped both cars down to the bare shell, in order to get the wiring harness' out. I then built the TS shell back up with basically everything from the WRX. It took me about three weeks to do. Lots of tedious detail stuff. The engine swap was the easiest, so I saved it for last. That only took 1/2 a day !! Anyway here are pics. I'll get a chance to take it out on track this weekend at High Plains Raceway (Byers, Co) I can't wait to shake it out a little

Here's what left of the old car...!Cry!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-24-2010, 08:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
Nice work!

Ryan
2009 STi - Cobb Stage 2
#3 Old 05-24-2010, 08:34 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
BTW, that's the bent hood off my old car. I tried to get a CF one but the vendor was a loser. I'll probably get something soon. That's a OBS grill. I just happened to have one and liked it. I wonder how many Blue Ridge Pearl WRX's there are out there ??
#4 Old 05-24-2010, 10:14 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
And the best thing is the insurance company gets told it's a TS. HA!

You even switched the hubs didn't you?

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#5 Old 05-24-2010, 10:56 PM

Yeah, the VIN gives me a little break on insurance

TS's have drums in the rear and smaller front discs, so I dropped the whole rear end as a unit, sub-frame, trailing arms, diff, axles, hubs all at once. When I changed the front crossmember, I just dropped the subframe first and left the control arms on. I swapped everything except for the front subframe, which was a little tweaked from the accident. The TS was an AT car, so pedals and all are on the new tub. The only things I left on it were the gas tank (switched the WRX pump) fuel lines and hard brake lines.

I've got a lot of loose parts and the old wagon tub for sale BTW. I'm trying to dump it as a whole, but if I part out, I'll post a list in the classifieds.

How come there's no forum here for swaps ?
#6 Old 05-25-2010, 01:10 AM

Garage
because you're the only one man enough around here to do it properly

#7 Old 05-25-2010, 03:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Well done! Looking forward to your future posts!

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#8 Old 05-25-2010, 12:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

kyfi87 is an unknown
Thats good stuff. I am a big fan of the black and blue bug eye look (I painted my wheels a while ago, was just to lazy to post pics, ha ha). Be sure to let us know how she does on the track!
#9 Old 05-25-2010, 12:26 PM

Garage
You should paint the hood though, it's such a non-wrx-ie color. Flaunt it!

#10 Old 05-25-2010, 01:01 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Congrats on the find and the accomplishment. Sorry to hear about the orginal wagon. Good luck this season.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#11 Old 05-25-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
You should paint the hood though, it's such a non-wrx-ie color. Flaunt it!
Thanks. I will paint to match when I find a straight hood. I may even get the dings taken out and get the whole thing sprayed. It looks OK in the pics but the paint is pretty tired with lots of scrapes (down to metal) and such. Just registered it
#12 Old 06-07-2010, 09:52 PM

So my laziness bit me in the butt I didn't change out the gas tank, because I basically hate that job, and it turns out the tank was filled with crud. Consequently, I had fuel pick-up issues on the way to the track. I had to stop in Co Springs to drain and clean it as best I could, but it was very, very ugly. I couldn't run it at HPR safely, so I just instructed. My student had an Audi RS4, which was a pretty nice way to get around the track !!

I swallowed my pride, put my head down and swapped out the tank on Thurs. It sucked as expected, with temps close to 90F and high winds. I got it done in 9 hours with dirt in every orifice and constant cursing (mostly at myself for not doing it the first time the rear end was out of the car) Problem completely solved The car runs great again, and will get a romp at PPIR in three weeks. NASA is running it clockwise, which should prove interesting.

Another piece of laziness biting my arse: I didn't switch out the ABS control module either and have had the ABS light on since finishing the build, which is just annoying. It looks like I'll go ahead and swap that out too. Hopefully that extinguishes the light. I don't have a way to scan ABS diagnostics, so I'll just have to cross my fingers on that one.

I think I'm going to order a CF hood tomorrow. I'm so happy to be rockin' the wagon again. The OBS just didn't cut it. It's for sale BTW 2002 Subaru Impreza, Used Cars For Sale - Carsforsale.com

I think I have the silver tub sold, which will make my landlord happy.
#13 Old 06-07-2010, 11:35 PM

Garage
Awesome stuff. Any thoughts on the OBS's replacement? I'm thinking you'll go for some completely wrench free car after all the work you put into the wagon!

I mean, considering you had just done the motor not long before, you basically rebuilt the whole damn thing down to, well, the fuel tank!

#14 Old 06-08-2010, 12:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to airplnmdls
Wow...awesome job!!! Looks nice!

Stage 2 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon
#15 Old 06-08-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
Awesome stuff. Any thoughts on the OBS's replacement? I'm thinking you'll go for some completely wrench free car after all the work you put into the wagon!
Yeah, I'm actually un-sensibly considering caging the wagon and running NASA Performance Touring since I sold my race car (944spec) last year, and getting a tow vehicle of some sort. However the wagon is now a very wrench free car itself !!

My daughter, the hockey player, made it to USAH National PDC (putting her in the top 12 goalies in the country for her age !!). It looks like a hockey prep school is in the works for her for this fall, so I may end up with even more time on my hands. I guess I should try to find a job first though

I've also got a EJ25 DOHC (with blown head gaskets of course) from a '97 legacy sitting in my driveway. I'm thinking about silly things to do with that too. Maybe a mid engined Karmann Ghia conversion, hmmmm........Anybody got a shell rusting in their yard ?