Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Road Course/Autocross Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f71/)
-   -   May28 '07: Track Day- Blackhawk Farms (BFR) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f71/may28-07-track-day-blackhawk-farms-bfr-18505/)

twrex02 05-30-2007 01:01 PM

May28 '07: Track Day- Blackhawk Farms (BFR)

2 Attachment(s)
After attending a driver's school in April at BFR with some friends, we decided to get some timed runs in to see who was the fastest. The Memorial Day weekend had Wheel to Wheel racing Sat., another Driver's school on Sunday, and Timed Runs on Monday. I live 2 hours away from the track and decided to camp-out overnight so I was not rushed on track day. I prayed hard for nice weather both days: warm and dry with a little cloud cover. I checked weather.com about every 6 hours the week before the event. Isolated T-storm bookended Monday and I was worried. But, my prayer was answered with nice weather for camping (free @ BFR) and racing.

Surprisingly, I didn't see any Subaru's on Sun- but we did see a sweet Orange Exige. Other cars also started rolling in at dinner time to tech. for the Monday event.

twrex02 05-30-2007 01:12 PM

part 2

2 Attachment(s)
I camped overnight with my 2 boys, wife and '02 wagon. My co-workers: 04 WRX and 94 Supra also arrived late that night.

twrex02 05-30-2007 01:22 PM

part 3

7 Attachment(s)
Two more co-workers showed up in the early AM: 2.5L RS and an *ahem* RX-7. Not to ruin the end of the story, but 2 turbos are better than 1...

During the morning on Monday, you get some lapping sessions to learn or refamiliarize yourself with the track. We ended up with about 3 or 4 sessions of 4-5 laps each. Cars are let out with some space, but you inevitably get some fast cars behind slow cars. At BFR, passing is usually only allowed on the straight for lapping at Timed Run events.

Unlike Sunday, there were lots of Subarus at the event. There were several STi's but they were all Silver, so all the pictures really look the same.

mosc 05-30-2007 01:27 PM

nice pics, but GOD I hate spacers...

-1 to you #555

twrex02 05-30-2007 01:37 PM

part 4

5 Attachment(s)
After the lapping sessions, everyone held their breath as dark clouds started to roll in. I had faith and knew this would only be a "track cleansing". Sure enough, it lightly drizzled for about 5 minutes and then stopped (I had prayed for some cloud cover- what did I expect). We were glad the rain ended, but not glad that the sun came out. It quickly became very hot- the wife was not amused.

The afternoon brought the Timed Runs and we each got 5 runs, pretty good for only $95. I ended up driving 51 miles on the track which is about 25 laps on the 1.95 mi course. The wagon got 8.5 mpg for the day- not bad.

Lots of Sti's, Mustangs, Corvettes, etc. as well as the 2 Lotus'.

twrex02 05-30-2007 01:44 PM

part 5

5 Attachment(s)
Don't worry, the STi DID beat the Evo in it's class (and got 1st). More Timed Runs... and my youngest son was practicing his power shifting as well as good safety practices.

twrex02 05-30-2007 01:49 PM

part 6

4 Attachment(s)
My friend's RX-7 and the Exige were shooting 6' flames out the exaust at the Start/Finish. Always a crowd pleaser. As hard as I tried, I just couldn't get it on film... :notgood:

twrex02 05-30-2007 02:02 PM

Part 7 - The End (??)

1 Attachment(s)
Overall- a perfect day for racing. Here's the standings from our little group:

2.5 L RS Impreza- 1min 44 sec
'02 WRX wagon (me) 1min 36 sec Stock EVERYTHING
'04 WRX sedan 1min 31 sec Up/down pipe and ~16.5psi boost
'93 RX-7 1min 29 sec (310hp @ wheels) 12psi boost

Maybe I could have done better if I didn't keep thinking of that car that crashed into the tire wall right in front of me, or the Acura that spun right in front of me. Definitely an exciting day: spin-outs are expected- but crashes are not.

I think everyone had non-stock tires except me. And they won't last long at this rate- 2 track days and there are big chunks coming off the outside edges. It serves me right.

The 1st place STi ran 1min 26sec. I believe the best car time on the track is around 1min 20sec.

Touring the track at lunch was also free. I got me wife out there and showed her the racing line. Hopefully, I got her HOOKED and she will want to start funding the money pit known as Aftermarket Upgrades.

I will post video as soon as I have edited it to my satisfaction...trying to get some shots from my friends cameras.

twrex02 05-30-2007 02:08 PM

part 7a

1 Attachment(s)
Also, here's the layout of the track.

newtothegame 05-30-2007 09:40 PM

Hey man, great write up and some great pics also!Thumbs Up !Thumbs Up Good luck with getting the funding (via the wife) to start upgrading that beast. I hope to see some more pics and more write ups maybe. And hopefully one day be involved in some events like this myself.