Subaru WRX Forum banner

July 4th Event

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  IBAUCLAPlaya 
#1 ·
Well I don't know how many of you guys know, but my rear diff has been out of the car under repair for the last month. I had it back together and the car held for a few hours, then I talked to a friend and realized I was supposed to backlash the diff before putting it in the car. So out it came, and since I really have no idea how to backlash a diff, I took it to my buddy (SloRice) who does know how, and has the tools. He was supposed to have it fixed for this past weekend so I could race July 2nd and then at the July 4th invitational. Well he got pretty sick and didn't have the chance to get it backlashed, therefore I didn't have a car for this weekend, other than a 95 Mercury Tracer lol. So I rolled up to the event Tuesday at 2:30 PM, and hour before racing was supposed to start. Registration ended at 11 AM and I wasn't planning to race. Well long story short, I was sorta urged into racing that day, and I ended up driving my buddy's 99 Miata in CS. The car was bone stock except for an alignment, FSB, and racing slicks. Granted, this was my first time ever driving a RWD car at an autocross, as well as my first time driving any car on R-comps.

So not having a helmet or the racing shoes, I grabbed a loaner and tied up my Nike tennis shoes and winged it. The first run was really an eye opener. I ran a 43.xxx when the rest of the Miatas ran mid 40s. The Miata is nothing like my WRX. Although it isn't oversteer happy, it is perfect handling. And the most suprising part, I didn't have to use the brakes. I was slowing down for a right hander on the first run, and took it like it was a Sunday drive. I realized I really don't have to brake w/ the light car and R-comps. So my second run I experimented a bit w/o braking, and hit two cones and ran a 42.6xx. Still a good two seconds off the rest of the group. My next run I cleaned up a bit and ran a raw time of 41.8xx but coned as well. My fourth run I ran a 42.8xx becasue I screwed up the final section coming in too hot. My final run I ran a 41.1xx clean, which left me about .6 seconds off the pace. I was happy with that, and I also knew where I left about 1 second on the course. The fastest Miata was actually the one I drove, but the owner's son ran a 39.8xx in it which left him first in PAX.

I will most likely be in PA for the Pittsburg Vintage Grand Prix autocross next weekend driving MY car. Finally.

Will update then.

-Matt
50 STX

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.