Subaru WRX Forum banner

Icing the TMIC

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  IBAUCLAPlaya 
#1 ·
When I was at the track on friday for my first time a guy I was talking to told me to put a bag of ice on my TMIC because it couldn't cool down just sitting waiting for another run. Before each run the metal was no longer steaming hot and was even a little on the cold side(for a 90 degree night) I also ran .5 faster after icing (partly do to my driving I think). Is it possible that this ice helped? Does anybody else do this? Just thought i would share this possible tip with everybody.

#3 ·
Yeah that helps, the colder you can get your intercooler to cool the better. Some people even install a NOS sprayer kit for spraying the outside of the intercooler with NOS and it has been know to add about 50+ hp at the wheels.

There is even more you can do like tilting your intercooler, Water/alcohol injection.

#7 ·
Plain water spray works fine. The key is to get the heat away form the IC. I guess putting ice on it will work too, but it is easier/cheaper to just get a spray bottle of water. The finer the mist the better because the heat transfers to the mist of the water then evaporates. Keep on doing that and the IC will cool off. That is what I do for auto-x. 50 HP at the wheels for a N20 sprayer on the IC, I call BS.

#9 ·
IBAUCLAPLAYA, i read your and somebody elses articles on diy IC water sprayers, i bought the stuff today. I am going to do a trunk mount with a second motor. I just need to decide where to put the button now! Do u spray while you are running or right before or both if possible?

#10 ·
You spray right before. Becareful with those CO2 IC kits. If you have a removed intake silencer w/o the elbow, or any short ram intake, it could "suffocate" your engine causing worse performance. But that was done on a dyno and we all know that air doesn't move too well to the TMIC when dynotuning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.