Going to 1st autoX - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 06-30-2006, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Yenko is an unknown
Going to 1st autoX

Obviously from the title I have never autocrossed or solo. I have drag raced in other cars at various tracks but that really doesn't help me. I have also done some of the racing were not supposed to talk about but that was in my more foolish years.

My question; how small and technical are the tracks? I am not able to downshift to 1st gear while in motion the synchro's just won't line up, and I hate that grinding noise. And before you say no its not me, this is the second trans in the car (it has 102K miles), and I have let far more experienced people drive it all with the same results. So how much will it effect me? Am I going to be able to get by with 2nd being the lowest gear with some clutch abuse?

Yes I would like RA, dog box, STi trans but theres no $ for that now, any suggestions, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-30-2006, 05:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
on most auto cross courses you leave it in second the whole time. if you car has no power mods you will probably want to move between first and second to place optimal times.

suggesttions? blip higher and get that bitch in first.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-30-2006, 06:31 PM

IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful IBAUCLAPlaya is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to IBAUCLAPlaya
Try to replace the transmission fluid w/ 3 quarts of Redline MT-90 and 1 quart of Redline Shockproof superheavyweight.
post #4 of 16 Old 06-30-2006, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Yenko is an unknown
I have tried blippin the throttle and matching rpm to downshift works for all the other gears, not 1st.

I'll have to give the trans fluid swap a shot.

thanks
post #5 of 16 Old 07-01-2006, 12:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
yeah i know. just... try a bigger blip. like... REALLY big, like blip to 5500 big.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-01-2006, 01:40 PM
WRXpert

bigbadbuddha is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to bigbadbuddha Send a message via MSN to bigbadbuddha
I do alot of solo 2, and once i'm out of first i don't really get back in to first until the end. I am normally in 2nd most of the time and on a rare occasion get into 3rd depending on the course layout.

Big Jae -
JDM version 7 bugeye
post #7 of 16 Old 07-06-2006, 02:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

BigJay is an unknown
I think its a natural lock out of 1st because if I'm moving in my '04 I can't go into first. I can only get into it at a stop. I just had my clutch flywheel and fluid changed and I still can't down shift into 1st. I still think its part of the design to lock you out of it to save the tranny.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-06-2006, 04:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

mayhemsm is an unknown
Send a message via MSN to mayhemsm
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920674

Lots of people in there saying this works wonders. Especially for getting into 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yenko
I have tried blippin the throttle and matching rpm to downshift works for all the other gears, not 1st.

I'll have to give the trans fluid swap a shot.

thanks

06' TR WRX 20g @ 19psi
post #9 of 16 Old 07-06-2006, 05:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJay
I think its a natural lock out of 1st because if I'm moving in my '04 I can't go into first. I can only get into it at a stop. I just had my clutch flywheel and fluid changed and I still can't down shift into 1st. I still think its part of the design to lock you out of it to save the tranny.

its not

ive driven every gen wrx and sti and there all tough to get into first. but you can get them all into first rolling
post #10 of 16 Old 07-06-2006, 05:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

BigJay is an unknown
Huh,I stand corrected.
post #11 of 16 Old 07-09-2006, 09:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

smores is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to smores
I went into first yesterday from 2nd at about 20MPH... chirped all 4 wheels and felt all sorts of power come out of nowhere... Then I got pulled over for reckless driving..... figures....

Hey, at least I proved it CAN be done!
post #12 of 16 Old 07-10-2006, 03:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smores
I went into first yesterday from 2nd at about 20MPH... chirped all 4 wheels and felt all sorts of power come out of nowhere... Then I got pulled over for reckless driving..... figures....

Hey, at least I proved it CAN be done!
same thing, blip higher and you wont be chirping.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-13-2006, 12:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

smores is an unknown
Yeah, I think I was in the ballpark of 3000-3500 RPM. Guess 4000-4500 is a better target then...
post #14 of 16 Old 07-13-2006, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Yenko is an unknown
I tryed the High Blip, around 5500 and higher. It was a no go. Tried three or for times again same grinding so I stopped before I did anymore damage. Going into first at a stop you can feel where it gets hung up and avoid it. But on the fly it just doesn't you can try and jam it(doesn't work) and go gentle and slow (while still keeping rpm's way up) trying to find the gate but still locks out.
I have yet to do the fluid swap but should get to it next weekend, I'll post if it helped or not. thanks for the advice
post #15 of 16 Old 07-28-2006, 11:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

smores is an unknown
That's so strange... I don't go from 2nd to 1st usually, and when I do it's usually because I have to slow down, then start rolling again, and I just double-clutch to ease it in to gear. But every time I've tried to go from 2nd DIRECTLY to 1st, I always pre-empt it with a good blip and I've gotten it into 1st every time. Of course, you take off pretty hard, but it's possible. And I have completely stock transmission/fluid etc, afaik. Unless the previous owner put something in...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement