Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Road Course/Autocross Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f71/)
-   -   Getting a sponsor | Best practices (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f71/getting-sponsor-best-practices-18053/)

2006WRXTR 05-02-2007 08:43 AM

Getting a sponsor | Best practices

Anyone have any examples of how you attain[ed] a sponsor? Was it just an email or letter? Or something a little more formal, like a full proposal with photos, race goals, etc.

metroscub 05-02-2007 08:49 AM

i just emailed, told them a little about myself, sent a picture of my car, and they replied, you would be surprised at the amount of willingness they have dude.

wagonracer 05-02-2007 05:03 PM

I use a proposal letter. You're selling advertising, and need to let the "client" know what you can do for them. When I get home I'll e-mail you a copy of one of mine. Cheers

jb181 05-02-2007 07:30 PM

Looking to do the same thing mainly a sponsor for tires and rims. I have seen a few sites that say they will find you a sponsor for a fee. Not really down with giving some money for something I could do myself.

2006WRXTR 05-02-2007 08:00 PM

[QUOTE=wagonracer;150779]I use a proposal letter. You're selling advertising, and need to let the "client" know what you can do for them. When I get home I'll e-mail you a copy of one of mine. Cheers[/QUOTE]

Thanks Cullen!

I should know the answer to my own question as I have been in marketing departments for all of my career. Duh.

WRXKidid775 05-03-2007 01:22 AM

Cullen could you shoot that my way as well? im in the hunt for a sponsor(s) as well.

Cullen will you sponsor me ROFL

2006WRXTR 05-03-2007 05:33 AM

Don't sponsor Rob, Cullen. He's evil... I mean Evo. :)

WRXKidid775 05-03-2007 06:48 PM

ROFL haha

wagonracer 05-05-2007 12:36 AM

[QUOTE=WRXKidid775;150873]Cullen could you shoot that my way as well? im in the hunt for a sponsor(s) as well.

Cullen will you sponsor me ROFL[/QUOTE]

With what ?!! Sorry I haven't been online. Here's the letter, glad to share. Now this is pretty informal since the guy I wrote this one for is a neighbor, and he already agreed to help me out.

Hi Dan,
I am seeking sponsorship for my auto road racing endeavors. Last year I participated in the Cannonball Run One lap of America sponsored by the Tire Rack. I also completed the entire season of events with NASA (National Auto Sports Association) Rocky Mountain region. This enabled me to gain eligibilty to race in their time trials program, or get a provisional race licence.
What I can offer your company is advertising visibilty, both on the local and regional level, with your logo on the race vehicle (which is also a daily driver) and nationally, through internet and racing media publications. Most of the events I will be entering are in Colorado, as well as New Mexico and Nebraska. I will gladly make brochures, business cards etc. available to the many entrants and visitors at all of the events (listed below)

Official 2007 Schedule

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

March 17-18; Pueblo,Co
April 14-15; La Junta, Co
June 30-1; Mid America, Iowa (with NASA Midwest)
July 21-22; Pueblo, Co
August 25-26; Hastings, Nebraska
Sept 13-16; MidOhio Nationals, Ohio
Sept 29-30; La Junta, Co
Oct 20-21; Sandia, NM

On the internet, your logo and internet links will be displayed on all of the NASA forums, of which I am a member, as well as on my sponsorship page with [url]www.wrxtuners.com[/url]. They have chosen me to be their sponsored driver for 2007, and provided me with a web page to post event diaries, how-to write ups etc. Your sponsorship will be noted prominently in all posts that appear there. I am also a member of NASIOC and a number of other forums, and your link will be displayed as part of my signature on all of them. All of these have huge member numbers and web hits.
I will also be seeking media coverage from the Taos News, as well as a number of racing publications, such as Grassroots Motorsports, and Racer magazines. Paradise Power, along with my other sponsors, Jack-Wrap-It and Lisa's Import Performance Service, will be the focal point of any media coverage I receive.
As you know, auto-racing is a very exciting, and fast growing spectator sport, and racing sponsorship is very useful in building your corporate image. Since the race car is also a daily driver, you will gain valuable local visibilty for you business, and can be assured the the vehicle will be driven with the utmost courtesy on the road.
I am also offering my hospitality, should you want to attend any of the events I will be entered in. Also, should you want to try out some track time, I am offering the use of the car for you to experience the HPDEs (high performance driving event) that are part of the track weekend. You will be responsible for your own entry fees, and any damage that might occur to the vehicle, and you will definitely have the time of your life.
What I am seeking is a one year sponsorship of $1200.00. All of the above mentioned visibilty will be in place for at least 12 months, and should I change vehicles, your sponsorship would carry over to the new one. Thank you for your consideration, Cullen Winter

You get the basic gist of what you can offer to a potential sponsor from this, but like I said, it's a pretty simple approach. If you search online, there are a number of proposal drafts out there to plageurize. Good luck

jb181 05-11-2007 09:08 PM

Thanks Wagonracer, Working on sponsor now, but have not had any luck yet. Last guy I talk was the graphics shop owner that made my numbers. Told me I could take orders have them made by him and charge them what I want to. Thought that was pretty crappy told him I was to honest to do that to someone. Bad thing is the guy does good work and he is fast and cheap. I believe what goes around comes around, so the search carries on.

wagonracer 05-12-2007 06:00 PM

I have the advantage of living in a small town, and being a bit of a celebrity (pro musician) I approached business owners I already knew, and thought they might be able to afford it. I used the $1200 a year figure so they can write it off as a $100 per month advertising budget, however I usually collect at least half up front. Running the NASA TT program might get me some credibilty for parts sponsors if I place well. I need to find a wealthy new sponsor ($2000+) to get myself to nationals in Ohio in Sept. Anybody got deep pockets out there ??

2006WRXTR 05-13-2007 07:51 AM

My pockets are deep, but they are stuffed with lint. Do I get my name on your car for a ball of link?

jb181 05-13-2007 10:27 PM

I got short arms and deep pockets! Good thing I can sell my junk on e-bay to help with my addiction.

WRXKidid775 05-14-2007 01:46 AM

my uncle is 'sponsoring' me. he pays for my event entries and I put his store name on my car.

not much but it is a start. I want to get a vendor so i can get some parts for cheaper and there arent really any good shops here.

thanks cullen.
would you approach vendors in the same way with a dollar amount or could you also approach them with parts and things like that.

wagonracer 05-14-2007 01:54 AM

I haven't figured out the parts sponsor thing yet. I think it will be easier after I have more events under my belt, hopefully with good finishes. I bet the parts guys get approached all the time by us novices, and want to see that you're competing before they cough up the goods. Just guessing though...

Rich, a pocketful of lint is the best offer I've had today, but I don't think it'll get me to Mid-Ohio, unless it's like Atomic lint or something. Solid gold lint maybe ROFL