Getting ready for a new season - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 01-29-2007, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Getting ready for a new season

My last track day for 2006 was in Nov, down at Sandia Motor Speedway. I went because I had never run the course and it was rumoured that NASA Rocky Mountain would be doing an event there in 07. Turned out to be true. I also had just gotten 100 no lead race gas maps from PDX tuning that I wanted to try out. I was happy with my car, but had plans to go a little further with it during the winter. I did a lot of parts shopping in Dec. since I figured that a lot of folks would be needing holiday money, and deals would be out there.

My mods up to this point were: Perrin main pulley, Cobb accessport ECU, E-bay UP, DP, CBE, samco IC hoses, turbo inlet hose, lots of heat shielding, Cobb shifter bushings, Cobb sway bars front & rear (adjustable), Tien S Tech springs, Kartboy rear endlinks, PBR ultimate brake pads, front strut tower brace, Ingalls camber bolts, E-bay front end links

I scored a set of stock 16" rims from the NASIOC classifieds with the original Bridgestones on them for $340. They have been powder-coated black and look great. I figure I'll use the rims for race rubber, and save the Potenzas for daily driving, once I can safely take my snow tires off. Frisbyracetire.com was advertising a special on Hankook Z211 DOT Rs for $110 a tire, so I grabbed a set. I've got track rubber covered.

My next, and only plan for more power was a larger TMIC, and I got the Godspeed from e-bay for $165 shipped. I figured a larger scoop was in order to make it work, so I got an Aero Domination 4" carbon fiber one. I also came across a really good deal on a Go Fast Bits hybrid BOV (used) That all installed pretty easily, with a little creativity needed on the intercooler. I also got rid of a MBC that was on the car when I got it, as NASA vehicle classing is based on modification points, and I knew it wasn't the best thing for a WRX, thanks to these forums.

I had been planning to switch to Koni strut cartridges, a stiffer spring set, and camber/castor plates. The plates (Noltec MRT) appeared in the classifieds for $160 so I snapped them up. I wasn't sure about which spring to go with, but after getting some advice from the forums here, and Jon Cooley at Flatirons performance, I contacted Whiteline, got the specs on their "control" springs and got a set. I just got all of that installed last week, when the snow had melted enough. I have a shop that sponsors me, but Lisa's Import Performance Service is a front yard operation for now. No garage for me. I did almost all of the work myself, borrowing her airtools.

My other plans for the car were brake ducts to go through the fog light openings, which meant a snorkus-ectomy to make room. The thread on that and my custom MAF hose are here fog light brake ducts
and here $6.72 intake silencer & MAF hose
I am also going to fab a front splitter soon.

Since I am far too impatient to wait for the NASA season to start in March, and there was another open track day on the calendar for Sandia, I had to go. I think the car is good to go on the track. I just secured another sposor, which will help me aquire the safety gear that I need to be up to date on the regs. They are www.paradisepower.net I am very grateful to them and my other financial sponsor, Jack-Wrap-it for enabling me to keep up with my addiction !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement