Getting a Porsche to race in ! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-27-2007, 01:10 AM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Smile Getting a Porsche to race in !

Well I went and did it now !! I've commited to buying a Porsche 924s to run in NASAs 944 spec class. I decided I really want to go W2W racing, and the wagon wasn't the way to do it. Consequently I am selling a bunch of parts from it listed on e-bay. I don't know if this link will take you to the stuff or not. http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZcwblues40

Anyway, my decision was swayed by a number of things. The 944 class is building up strong, with sponsorship support that will make my weekend expenses drop considerably. I also found out that a number of guys are driving the cars to the track (not trailering) which is great for me since I can't afford a tow vehicle, trailer etc.

The wagon has been taking a beating in Time Trials and Time attack events, because of how hard I have to push to get those extra tenths. My last track weekend had numerous mechanical casualties. I have had to replace a wheel bearing, hub front rotors, pads (always !) and my UP which has a hole in the flex section. I had two other freaky exhaust leaks occur simultaneously. I realize that maybe I need to learn how to drive better, and my mechanical ability is questionable as well Anyway, I figure if I'm going to drive like I don't care about the car, it might as well be a car I don't care about.

I never liked the 944s or 924s, and figure that I will be fast in one since I really won't give a s**t what happens to it, and they have proven to be inexpensive to run, as far as weekend wear and tear goes. I hope to sell off a number of things, including my Toyota FX16 GTS, and a bunch of parts off the wagon to get the porsche paid for and safety equipped ASAP.

My wrx is quickly becoming a daily driver (only) again, and I really like having the quiet factory exhaust back on there. It's reverting back to a simple stage 2 sleeper, with great suspension, since I'm leaving that intact. The Sparco and the front lip really made the car impractical, and those were the first two to come off. The seat will go in the race car, and the lip is up for sale.

I'll try to keep my progress on the POS german car out of these forums, but will leak some info. Don't call me a traitor, I'll always be a Subaru/Mopar guy. Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-27-2007, 01:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
that sounds sick as hell man.
the guys who drop the traitor bomb are just jealous no worries we can be traitors together if thats the way people see it

are you going to mod the 924 at all or just do the safety stuff?

im not super familiar with spec racing so im interested in what all is involved.

im excited to hear any of this leaked info i really enjoy reading your track day/weekend posts.

good luck man.
Robby

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
#3 Old 06-27-2007, 04:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

2006WRXTR is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to 2006WRXTR Send a message via Yahoo to 2006WRXTR
Wow. I am surprised. I guess I'd always thought I'd be reading your posts about your wagon. I am glad you are keeping it though.

Rich
Latest: Meth Injection, Open Source
#4 Old 06-27-2007, 01:44 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXKidid775 View Post
that sounds sick as hell man.
the guys who drop the traitor bomb are just jealous no worries we can be traitors together if thats the way people see it

are you going to mod the 924 at all or just do the safety stuff?

im not super familiar with spec racing so im interested in what all is involved.

im excited to hear any of this leaked info i really enjoy reading your track day/weekend posts.

good luck man.
Robby
The spec classes are very specific as to what you can and cannot modify. The 944 class allows only very limited suspension mods, and the only power upgrade we can do is exhaust.
This evens out the field of cars, and more importantly keeps it from becoming a race of wallets, instead of a test of driving skill. Check out http://www.nasaproracing.com/proracing/index.html for all the regs. It will take some time to get the car paid for and equipped, but will be worth the wait. My TMIC already sold, thanks very much if it was one of you folks from these forums.

The future of racing the wagon, would have put me in Performance Touring, and we have no cars at all running in that class. It would have gotten very lonely !Cry! I certainly will enjoy lots more fun in my WRX, just not on track (well maybe once in a while on track !)
#5 Old 06-27-2007, 01:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

metroscub is more helpful than not
wow, good luck. keep it grassroots man, always. I am happy you are keeping your subie though, you couldn't possibly let her go. good luck bud,
Matt

Matthew
Wow, it can turn well too?
#6 Old 06-28-2007, 09:10 PM

The fire sale continues.... I just sold my old MBC without even advertising it ! Looks like the harness bar is going too. Thanks for the help guys
#7 Old 06-29-2007, 07:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

2006WRXTR is an unknown
I would have taken the harness bar had I known it was for sale.

PM me if you have anything else.

Rich
#8 Old 06-29-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006WRXTR View Post
I would have taken the harness bar had I known it was for sale.

PM me if you have anything else.
It's all still on e-bay, except the TMIC, and the scoop just went. The link in my first post works. I like your new avatar, nice pic
#9 Old 06-29-2007, 01:36 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
how do they let you run a 924s in a 944 race? Isn't that like cheating?

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#10 Old 06-29-2007, 01:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

2006WRXTR is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonracer View Post
It's all still on e-bay, except the TMIC, and the scoop just went. The link in my first post works. I like your new avatar, nice pic
Geez. I didn't even notice the link in your first post. Hmmm the GFB might be nice! Too bad it is not allowed in my race class.

And thanks for the kudos on the avator. I was driving to an autox event outside of town, and the sun was just coming up. I had to stop and take a photo of it. Was a great start to a great day.

Rich
#11 Old 06-29-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
how do they let you run a 924s in a 944 race? Isn't that like cheating?
Actually they're almost the same car. The 944 has the advantage of a wider track, but the 924 is slightly more aerodynamic. The 924s has 8 more hp than the older 944s, but the later ones are the same. I think the wider track is the real advantage, but 924 guys can use spacers. The spec944 class is all about car equality and budget, so that the race is really between drivers. I can't wait !!
#12 Old 06-29-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006WRXTR View Post
Geez. I didn't even notice the link in your first post. Hmmm the GFB might be nice! Too bad it is not allowed in my race class.

And thanks for the kudos on the avator. I was driving to an autox event outside of town, and the sun was just coming up. I had to stop and take a photo of it. Was a great start to a great day.
Why wouldn't a BOV be allowed ? They don't gain you any performance advantage, unless you're running really high boost, which would up-class you anyway right ??
#13 Old 06-29-2007, 08:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
autoX is really specific about them for some reason i really dont know why. just like my car being debadged puts me in SM instead of BSP :/

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
#14 Old 06-30-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXKidid775 View Post
autoX is really specific about them for some reason i really dont know why. just like my car being debadged puts me in SM instead of BSP :/
That's pretty WACKED !!
#15 Old 06-30-2007, 10:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

2006WRXTR is an unknown
They are pretty strict on turbo engines in general. Probably because it is so easy to modify. Who knows...

Rich