First time track day - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-31-2007, 12:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

chevarian113 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to chevarian113
First time track day

This coming Saturday, Flatirons tuning is holding a day for Subaru owners only to drive the CHP track in Golden, CO. I am completely stoked for this since it is my first time really letting the car go other than on mtn roads, which I still dont let her rip too hard. I managed to get a friends place that can't make it at last minute, so I am not excited as hell, but curious about what I need to prepare for this.

As I stated, this is my first time on the track, so I dont have much idea of what I should do to prepare. Before I get slammed for not searching first, this thread was started to both ask for help and to be able to track all of my experience with this event. I will post some pics as I can, and post for my own good and other n00bs what I learn along my way.

So, what should I do to prepare for this?

What PSI should I run in my tires?

Should I strip the interior for lighter weight?

any other input helps. By the way, I have a bone stock 07 TR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-31-2007, 01:45 PM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
Change your brake fluid, and check your pads. That is really all you need to do before taking any car out on track. They'll probably have somebody teching cars, in case there is something wrong, but with an 07, I doubt you have wheel bearing issues or suspension parts loosening up on you. Make sure all your fluids are topped off.
As far as tire pressures go, I'd start with stock recommended psi, but check to see if you are getting any rollover. If you are, bump it up a little. You will generate a lot of heat in your tires and the pressures will jump up considerably on their own.
Taking weight out would be a mistake for a first time out. You want the car to feel like you are used to it, and you shouldn't be concerned about shaving a little off lap times. You shouldn't really be concerned with lap times at all, but of course, you'll want to know how you're doing.
Take time to make sure you are ready to go, get a good nights sleep. Drink lots of liquids. Keep your motives in check too, you should be going out to learn high speed car control, not to race somebody. Listen to instructors.....and have a blast man !!
I was going to make that event, but missed registration. Now we've got a NASA weekend at La Junta, so I'll be driving fast too. Let us know how it goes.
#3 Old 05-31-2007, 01:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
Dont worry about stripping the interior. At your skill level it wont make a difference. The first time at a track isnt about going super fast ad running low lap times its about learning to control the car and just have some fun.

+1 with wagonracer on stock psi. Check the psi after every session. usually you want about 40 psi hot. then can adjust up or down a little but i wouldnt really worry too much about that.

wagon racer beat me to just about everything.

remember this: slow into the corners = fast out = quicker lap times
fast into the corners = slow out = slower lap times. the wrx understeers a lot stock so dont try and go ripping into the corners just take it easy and have some fun.

dammit cullen haha.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
#4 Old 05-31-2007, 04:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

2006WRXTR is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to 2006WRXTR Send a message via Yahoo to 2006WRXTR
I STRONGLY agree with Wagonracer. I have been on the track with my WRX and within 1.5 laps, my brakes were pretty much toast. Fluid and 'sporty' brake pads would have helped tremendously. Still a lot of fun, but next time I will have the above-mentioned brake mods.

Coming out of a corner, when you smell something funky... no worries, it is only your brakes screaming for air!

Rich
Latest: Meth Injection, Open Source
#5 Old 05-31-2007, 05:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

Awesome. Thanks for the input guys. I am basically running this one stock so that I can learn the car the way it is before doing any modifications. I would like to get a feel for the car to see what needs upgraded based on my experience with it.

First lap will definitely be a take it easy lap. I am hoping to ride around it with someone else a little bit to get a feel for how they drive it. My thoughts are that I am going to have to upgrade suspension and brakes first thing, but we will see how she does in this first event. Hopefully next season I will be in the circuit a little and can get more tracktime at real events. This year is set for learning and experimentation.

Thanks again! I will post more about how the day went afterwards.
#6 Old 05-31-2007, 06:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
sounds like a plan man.

be careful and have fun!

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
#7 Old 06-04-2007, 03:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

This Saturday was a TON of fun! We had Go4it Racing schools instructing for the first half of the day, then we drove the hell out of out cars. I learned a lot about my car as well as myself. I have most definitely put a plan together for what I want with the car and the order I will do things. I will post more details about the event when I have some more time, but I just wanted to post some pics. This event was sick!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...3/Track%20day/