Car numbers - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

hatchimatchi is an unknown
Garage
Car numbers

Hey all. I apologize if this topic is covered elsewhere but I couldn't find it. I'm doing my first autocross event this weekend. My question is about car numbers. I've seen white shoe polish and I've seen painter's tape. What is your experience with these... does the painter's tape leave residue that is a pain to get off? Where does one get white shoe polish? Auto shop... shoe store... Thanks for the help.

I have only autocrossed once before (in a friends 2006 Z06). I'm assuming a 2012 WRX is going to be a completely different experience. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-05-2013, 09:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
This is what I use

MVCX512 Magnetic Vent Covers (5 MVCX512 Magnetic Vent Covers (5" X 12", 3-pk) - Amazon.com

And then trace #'s into them and cut em out... Voila.... Cheaper than the pre-made ones that run in excess of $60

You can even paint them since they come white... but no need to on your OBP

Start off in STU... gives you something to reach for. Who cares if you are winning... Just have fun and tune your driving skills.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #3 of 6 Old 04-05-2013, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Awesome... thanks for the suggestion. This seems like a really great suggestion.

It is definitely all about fun and improving my driving ability. The wife has a Mini Cooper S and a good friend that's coming has a new V6 Mustang. Eventually we're going to trade cars around. Should be really interesting to see how each car performs differently. Same driver but a front wheel drive, a rear wheel drive, and an all wheel drive. Wonder which will be easier to drive, quicker, and most fun... we'll see.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-05-2013, 11:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
haha... you already know what's the quickest out of those 3.

Fun factor I'd imagine it to be the Mustang... (new one?)

As far as the magnets, just don't move them around on the paint.... and the paint should be clean under them

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #5 of 6 Old 04-07-2013, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Garage
What a great day of racing. Did the Chicago Learning Curve. It was an hour or so of classroom stuff followed by one-on-one lapping with a mentor (mine was a guy in a WRX that finished top 10 nationally). Probably ran 25 runs. Next week is the first round of "official" season competition and everyone who took place in the Learning Curve is registered along with any others that signed up. Learned so much about the car and it's capabilites and limits. Whether you're interested in picking it up as a hobby or just trying it... I highly recommend it just to see what these cars can really do. That goes for any car I suppose. The numbers worked perfectly.
Attached Images

post #6 of 6 Old 04-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
Sounds like you had fun man! I'm gearing up for the season here in the NE too. First event is in June and just grabbed a new helmet for the season. Can't wait! You got me excited now!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement