Subaru WRX Forum banner

Cadillac brags about Nürburgring. STI beats it? lol

9K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  turmic 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I was recently watching some tv and the cadillac commercial about the CTS-V at the nurburgring track and the commercial talked about how it had the fastest production car and how it had this time on the track. Then I saw this article posted on a SEMA review and thought it was pretty funny. Might of been covered before but I thought I would post it anyway.

'Fastest Lap' Subaru WRX STI

The "function" in this impressive Subaru is measured on the clock. Subaru raided the parts bins to create the "Fastest WRX STI Ever.” Back in June, Subaru announced that this new 2011 WRX STI test mule, piloted by Tommi Makinen, lapped the famed Nürburgring in just 7 minutes, 55 seconds – 4 seconds faster than the Cadillac CTS-V, despite having almost half the horsepower. Major upgrades to the 2011 WRX STI focused on the chassis and suspension setup. It is powered by a 305-horsepower turbocharged/intercooled 2.5-liter Subaru boxer engine mated to a 5-speed manual transmission.

< Back to Exhaust Notes

#9 ·
Well, found this tidbit :

In 2004 the car used was an Impreza WRX STI Spec C Type RA prototype... AND it was done from a standing start...

I can't find anything on the 04 driver.... weird.

#10 ·
I just read something about this in Road and Track, I'll quote it

"I sat down to chat with 4-time WRC champion Tommi Makinen, who recently drove the Subaru Impreza WRX STI around the Nurburgring in a blistering 7 minutes 55 seconds, setting a new record for production sedans on the famed 12.9-mile track. What was notable about this accomplishment was that the 46-year old Makinen achieved this record run after only 15 or so total laps, on his first trip there"

So this sort of paints a different picture. Only 15 laps? He's losing time in so many places with only 15 laps under his belt. I'd guess if they put in someone that REALLY knows the track, the times would fall.

#11 ·
I think Nurburg more than any other track relies on driver ability more than familiarity. It's more reactionary the memorization. Sure, familiarity always helps I'm not saying it doesn't matter or anything. It's just that the track has too many corners for muscle memory to really dominate. That and the multitude of low speed sections of the course really drive differently from car to car. Rally drivers are best for this kind of work as they have lots of experience with courses they sorta know or even ones they've never driven. IMHO, especially due to his familiarity with the car in question, he was the singular best man for the job.

Yes, most of that's based on GT4 and GT5 but I think it's accurate.

#12 ·
I'd agree to that. The Nurburgring Nordschleife track is mostly reaction and keeping the car going fast in the fast bits and in control in the control bits. Here...just look at how rediculous the stats are.

Nordschleife (1983-present)
Surface Asphalt/Concrete
Length 20.81 km (12.93 mi)
Turns 154
Lap record 6:11.13 ( Stefan Bellof, Porsche (956), 1983, WSC)
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nürburgring

#14 ·
I'd agree to that. The Nurburgring Nordschleife track is mostly reaction and keeping the car going fast in the fast bits and in control in the control bits. Here...just look at how rediculous the stats are.

Nordschleife (1983-present)
Surface Asphalt/Concrete
Length 20.81 km (12.93 mi)
Turns 154
Lap record 6:11.13 ( Stefan Bellof, Porsche (956), 1983, WSC)
Source: Nürburgring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
956 isn't a car though, it's a GT1 racer with some body paneling. Even something like a Ferrari Enzo isn't going to be sub 7 minute.

#16 ·
Mosc: I was just stating overall track records. Its hard for some race cars to break the 7 min mark.

Chris: I kinda doubt it, there is much better things out there than that car and the track is more car plus damn good driver to get it done. Not just car...

#18 ·
I liked the old atom. It cost ~$50k which made it a great value. The v8 one is about $200k and I gotta say, that's not much more car (even though it has like twice the power). It's not even thinkable anymore.

#20 ·
I didn't have trouble with my bowels, but I was shocked. It's no longer a car that I would ever think of getting as a toy. When my house is paid for, I can see a 50K toy. . . Not that much though. They said 150,000 pounds, and that's like 220-230-ish in dollars. That's nuts.

I also was a little perplexed when I read 5 speed. I think that's a typo.

#21 ·
Its hardly a car and you still need a damn good driver to keep it on the ring. Otherwise all that power to weight distribution is out the window. The Ring is a technical challenge like no other. Driving a F1 on it would take a crap load of skill and experience, let alone a Atom V8.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.