autox - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 06-24-2008, 08:22 AM
WRXpert

Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful
don't miss out, just do it

start here to find your division/region SCCA - Sports Car Club of America, go to their website and find out when/where the next event is

you don't have to join (you'll pay a little higher entry fee) right away, if you like it (you will ), then join, if your 18 I believe they have a discounted rate

when you show up to your first event, let them know this is your first event- they typically have a "mentor"" program where they hook you up w/ an experienced driver to get you started on the right foot

autox is a ton of fun, no reason to be intimidated in the least bit

like the Nike ad says- just do it

Mike

Wagon Mafiosa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 06-24-2008, 04:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

AWD_JOE is an unknown
hmm i cant find the next event idk some help pleese chicagoland area ,im not going to lie i am kinda intimidated.........i like your wagon btw
#18 Old 06-24-2008, 07:55 PM
WRXpert

Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful Big Sky is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD_JOE View Post
hmm i cant find the next event idk some help pleese chicagoland area ,im not going to lie i am kinda intimidated.........i like your wagon btw
your young- your supposed to be able to navigate the internet like we used to read comics

Chicago Region, SCCA - Solo Events

Mike

Wagon Mafiosa
#19 Old 06-24-2008, 11:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXKidid775 is more helpful than not
I get to autoX this weekend again finally.

Codriving a 93 l that has a wrx swap. should be fun.

Joe any luck finding an event?

Robby
02 rex is gone.
I defected to an evo :)
Evo is gone :(
Now I got nothing.
#20 Old 06-25-2008, 04:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

AWD_JOE is an unknown
hmm i found a local autocross its the 5th and the 6th....im going to go check it out...its in a really big parking lot.....
#21 Old 06-27-2008, 12:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

thats where they usually are. we have ours out on a little airport on the tarmac.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
Now I got nothing.
#22 Old 06-28-2008, 12:43 AM

wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to wagonracer is a WRX expert worth listening to
After three years of track experience, I'm going to do my first cone dodging event (and first SCCA event). It's up in our mountains, in the parking lot of Taos Ski Valley, which is anything but flat. SCCA Rio Grande Region is hosting, and so far the welcome has been very nice from that group. I just put a set of el cheapo Sumitomo HTR Z's on the car, which have a very low UTQG rating (160) so I think they'll be decently grippy. I'll post up something on the tires in the appropriate forums, and will write up a report on my rookie autoX.

Just do it !!
#23 Old 06-28-2008, 07:50 AM
WRXpert

Welcome back

I think you'll find it very interesting You'll likely find the biggest difference is that your car is practically never settled (vs @ the track)- transitions come fast and furious!

Mike

Wagon Mafiosa
#24 Old 06-28-2008, 04:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

My experience was rather interesting today, i drove an 1993 Subaru L with a WRX drivetrain, on all season tires with only sways and links done.

It took a lot of getting used to. For the first 3 runs I was beating the owner of the car by nearly a second, but I just could not get used to how far I had to turn the wheel to make the thing turn. The ratio of the rack was much higher than that of my old evo, which was the last thing I had out on the course.

Robby
02 rex is gone.
Now I got nothing.