Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Road Course/Autocross Tech (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f71/)
-   -   autox (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f71/autox-23446/)

AWD_JOE 06-06-2008 02:22 PM

autox

i want to get into autox....i was driving to a buddys house and there was an event goin on not to far from his house and it looked really fun....i think scca was running it. i think that stands for "sports car club of america"........where do i start?

zmanoside 06-06-2008 04:49 PM

You just named it! Search SCCA and your city and I'm sure a local chapter will have a link. Get info from them about fees and clubs in your area and do it! Shit i wish I had the money I would have allready raced a few myself! Off and on road:)

AWD_JOE 06-06-2008 04:56 PM

lol your kinda right...ill let ya know how expensive it is....

AWD_JOE 06-06-2008 05:10 PM

Typical Race Schedule

Registration 8:30 - 9:30
Course Open for Walking 8:45 - 9:45
Tech Inspection 8:45 - 9:45
Mandatory Driver's Meeting 9:45
First Car on Course 10:00
Trophy Presentations approx. 4:00
Typical Entry Fees
SCSCC Members $25.00
Non-Members $30.00
Crew and Guests Free!

**Special requirements for these participants include the following.
1.) Must be a current SCSCC club member.
2.) Must have parent present at time of registration and at the start of each run (In Grid or at Start) .
3.) Must be accompanied by an instructor until skill levels are approved and signed off.
4.) Car/Driver must be clearly identified as novice ("X" or other identifier provided by SCSCC).

well it looks like i might have to take a cheap driving school......hmm wonder how much that is going to cost? the club member ship is not that expensive.....i just need to find out about the driving school......any one have any tips

Nose Nuggets 06-06-2008 07:15 PM

[url]http://www.skipbarber.com/driving_school/driving_school.aspx[/url]

if your going to go take a class, dont go take a shitty one. do a one day or a two day driving school here and you will be on your way.

AWD_JOE 06-06-2008 07:40 PM

HOLY BALLS!! that is really expensive...haha i dont think i would be able to afford that.. remember im only 18.....hmmm i guess i wont be doing this any time soon...haha.....this club has a couple of events by my house.....and i guess they use the scca rules...or somthing like that....i really wanna do this tho.....

Nose Nuggets 06-06-2008 07:43 PM

if i was in your shoes, i would save up and spend the first grand you would have spent on mods, on a class. far more bang for the buck.

AWD_JOE 06-06-2008 08:13 PM

well right now i dont have a plan to mod anything else......i just recently put in a td05 16g.......my next mod was going to be 6 speed or ppg......but thats not going to be for a while but mybe i should just save for a good class..im young and i have alot of time to mod my car.....but i was thinking that if i did this autox i would up grade my susp. some more...hmmm not sure yet trying to find more info about this..........

Nose Nuggets 06-06-2008 09:07 PM

i would disregard the suspension to begin with. chances are you cant drive the stock suspension anywhere near the limit.

AWD_JOE 06-06-2008 09:22 PM

mmmk....well i already have tein springs and agx adj struts...lol

Nose Nuggets 06-06-2008 09:52 PM

you have all this shit done to your car and you cant afford a driving school?

WRXKidid775 06-07-2008 12:41 AM

You don't need driving school for SCCA events...
From what the rules you are stating it doesn't sound like it is an SCCA event.

Event schedual looks pretty typical. Usually we bump everything back by about an hour and have first car out around 9 ish.

Honestly I would drop the coin for the membership, then go and have fun. Yes a drivng school will make you more competitive but honestly I had the time of my life and I was running decent close to the cars in higher classes than I was in.

I always like to have someone in the car with me critiquing my run and showing me where to go slower, faster stuff like that except on my last 2 runs. Hell one run we had 4 guys in my friends STi. That was fun.

You don't have to do everything to win. I had tons a fun, came in First in class a couple times but for the most part was mid pack overall which I was happy with.

You are 18 so you wont need a parent with you, the membership thing kinda sucks but if it isnt too expensive I would just go ahead and buy it and go out and have some fun. if they are designating you as a novice driver they probably have a novice class. If not you are kinda screwed on winning cause of your turbo upgrade. If they use SCCA classes that puts you in Street Modified (SM) which most well prepped cars are usually runnning decent HP numbers and a boatload of suspension, R-compound tires and so forth.

To make my long post short, drop the coin for the membership, go out and have fun. You don't need a full fledged driving school to have fun at Auto X. If you are skeptical go out one day and just hang out. talk to some people, most of the AutoXers are nice guys and if you ask them in their early runs they will let you ride along and then you can see if it is really something you will enjoy.

Typing this makes me miss my WRX and reallllly miss my evo. That thing shredded out at AutoX. :( I need to buy a shifter cart so I can go out again.

AWD_JOE 06-07-2008 07:21 PM

[QUOTE=Nose Nuggets;197876]you have all this shit done to your car and you cant afford a driving school?[/QUOTE]

dont get me wrong i know what your saying...........i get alot of my parts used and for cheap because i know some people......the only thing that i had to buy brand new for my car was....turbo, inject, fuel pump,and my struts, honestly every thing else was used like my exhaust,,,i have a costom $1000 exhaust from topspeed in florda.....i paid $100 and swaped my stock with the person.....i paid 150 for a brand new aem wide band.........got my autometer boost guage free.....i look for the deals......my parents dont pay for shit! i bought my own car....they might help me with insurance every now and then..thats it........ohh yea when i say deals i paid $9000 for my car stock with 50k miles.....im not rich....lol..i grew up in a trailer park hahha....i got that money by working with my uncle and saving........ohhh and not to mention...i get my opensource tune for free! it cost me lunch thats about it lol.......does that anser your question? lol

anyways, i think the next event is in july so i cant wait till that day comes im going to go and check it out......:D

AWD_JOE 06-07-2008 07:24 PM

i drove a shifter kart befor with a yz125 motor....crazy!!!!

WRXKidid775 06-16-2008 01:27 AM

shifter karts are way fun. good luck man keep us posted on how it goes.