Will not tuning hurt my car? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-07-2009, 09:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

J.Bissell is an unknown
Will not tuning hurt my car?

I just got a 2002 WRX. It has an SPT air intake, and an HKS turbo back catless exhaust.

I've been doing a lot of reading on here and several other forums on EM in relation to mods, but I have a couple questions.

From what I've been reading the SPT is one of the only intakes that doesn't interfere with the MAF.

The thing I am worried about is the TBE. I'm going to use an Open source system to do my own tuning, but I can't get it yet. Will it hurt to drive it for a month or so with out tuning? Is there anything else I can do to prevent damage til then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-07-2009, 09:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Not on the exhaust side, you just won't see the performance benefits. On the intake, I would say yes it could be dangerous if that info is not correct about the maf. If it's getting a different reading than it should it's going to make adjustments accordingly that you don't want.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
#3 Old 09-07-2009, 10:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

J.Bissell is an unknown
I've heard TBE's allows higher turbo boost, and if you aren't providing more fuel, and adjusting the timing through EM, the engine will run lean and boost spiking will occur. Can't that really hurt the engine?

Yes, in regards to the intake. I was thinking the same thing at first, it causes lean AF ratio. But I'm not getting any CEL on that, and I've read in several places that the SPT intakes do not interfere with MAF.

I'm asking all this because I've read so much conflicting information on both these issues.

I do have a CEL related to my cats.
#4 Old 09-07-2009, 11:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Huh, I guess I need to look into the exhaust issue, that was just always my take on it. But someone else can feel free to step in and set things straight.

-Brandon
#5 Old 09-08-2009, 12:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to airplnmdls
Not factual info...but my friend has an 07 WRX and he had the TBE exhaust on there for about a month before he was able to drive home and get it tuned...his car was fine (as far as we know)...

If it was me i'd say wait to put on the TBE until you can get the EM just to be safe...but I'm a cautious person...I have a COBB AP and am at Stage 1...I'll be looking at trying to get an exhaust some time next year then I could go to Stage 2...but I have to say you could get an AP for like 300-400 bucks...It works pretty good if all you're planning on tuning is the TBE
#6 Old 09-08-2009, 01:38 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
The AP will go farther than Stage 2, it does have maps for the VF39 up to an 18G if I remember. I run a 20G on mine with the AP, just need a tuner that can use/work with it.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#7 Old 09-08-2009, 05:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

J.Bissell is an unknown
I'm guessing it will be fine for a month or so then. The TBE is already on the car. Thanks!
#8 Old 09-08-2009, 07:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
luckily for you, the issue that you are referring to about the turboback doesnt really have as much an effect on the bugeyes. its only a real problem for the 2.5l wrxs because of boost creep/spike. you should be fine for the month
#9 Old 09-09-2009, 09:52 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
04 and up, its the open/close loop fuel that cause problems even for the 2.0l engines. I run an catless TBE on my 05 (4EAT) with no issues though.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#10 Old 09-09-2009, 07:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

J.Bissell is an unknown
Awesome Paulie. Thanks. I feel much better about driving my car now.

So is it the CL/OL delay that causes problems, or just the changes when making mods?
#11 Old 09-09-2009, 08:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

04paulieWRX is an unknown
your car is a finely tuned machine, especially since it has a turbocharger. any changes you make that will affect airflow, fuel, exhaust etc, will not always line up to the stock ecu settings. some changes are worse than others. but once you do get a form of EM, like an accessport, you will definitely feel a difference in power. even more so if/when you get a protune.
#12 Old 09-09-2009, 11:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXParamedic is an unknown
I did the same thing and got TBE and catless uppipe and ran it for a year on my 05 without trouble till 2 weeks ago. It started smelling really rich idling with white smoke and spark plugs were white from running lean. I uploaded a OS map to my car and made HUGE POWER and no more smoke or $40 spark plug changes.
#13 Old 09-09-2009, 11:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

What kind of plugs are you running that cost $10 a piece? Mine cost $9 all the way around.

-Brandon
#14 Old 09-10-2009, 12:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXParamedic is an unknown
NGK Iridium. Maybe 6 bucks each if I can find them on sale. They last forever and they're a higher quality plug than anything else I've used. Usually is OEM replacement part on most high aspirated engines.
#15 Old 09-10-2009, 09:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXParamedic View Post
They last forever
...even if they last forever, you should still replace them every 30,000 miles

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)