Subaru WRX Forum banner

Wideband

10K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  psinuse 
#1 ·
How essential is a wideband gauge compared to a standard A/F gauge? I was reading through the guide and figured Id work on getting gauges as my next step. Im going to pick up a turbo timer first, and then eventually the others listed. Most wideband ive seen are around 200 compared to the 60 or so for standard. After the gauges id like to try to move on to the engine management and get the cobb tune going. Will not having the wideband severely hurt my ability to read it correctly?

#2 ·
How essential is a wideband gauge compared to a standard A/F gauge? VERY if you are tuning your own car. I was reading through the guide and figured Id work on getting gauges as my next step. Im going to pick up a turbo timer first If you do, look at the Blitz dual TT, it has a few nice functions but is not really needed, and then eventually the others listed. Most wideband ive seen are around 200 compared to the 60 or so for standard. If you decide to pick one up, try to stay with Innovate and AEM. After the gauges id like to try to move on to the engine management and get the cobb tune going. Will not having the wideband severely hurt my ability to read it correctly? The wideband is a necessity for tuning but not required for monitoring but if you are going to get one, the wideband is the way to go.
I would go with the COBB AP first before anything else IMHO.

#7 ·
I had proof. hahahahaha.... I'll take the comment.

BUT

I did use it for almost everything it offered. Gauge, warm-up timer and lap timer. Especially when a nice gauge is ~130.00 anyways

PS... I still have my wing.

#12 · (Edited)
I have zero aftermarket gauges in my stage 4 with a big turbo, it looks completely stock inside. Of course I used a wide band to tune afr, but I would never try to tune a car with a gauge. I guess I am not completely understanding the thread, but yes a wideband and other logging tools are necessary to tune properly, a gauge is far from necessary.

#15 ·
The accessport will show you a/f readings but I would not recommend using it to base your tune of of as it uses the cars narrow band sensor in order to insure proper tuning you need a wideband sensor you do not need the Gauge as you don't need to be able to always see your a/f readings but u do need to be able to log the readings so that you can then look at them when tuning in order to base your tune off of so that you can make a accurate and safe tune for your car.

#17 ·
U need gauges if u dont know how to tune. Gauges def help for readings but u can hook laptop up an still see ## boost. Get aem a/f wideband and thatll help if yur worried. Spend money on essentials and dont ricer it up with battery gauges and stupid stuff like others dont junk up ## interior

My thoughts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.