Why tune after AccessPort? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 12-07-2009, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

zappa is an unknown
Why tune after AccessPort?

I have a stock 04 WRX. I plan on getting a Cobb Accessport at somepoint in the future. I have read from several places(I have searched for this answer before I posted this) that it is recommended to get a pro tune after you hook up the Access Port(stage 1). Why is this needed? What all does a pro tune involve? I am only asking just to inform myself and not to dispute that it is needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-07-2009, 03:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Simple and to the point: AP maps are good, pro tunes are better.

You don't have to if you don't want to get every last ounce of power out of the motor. Also, not all COBB maps work with every part you may have, you'll have to check the map notes for that. Since you have the 04 though, COBB has a lot of maps available for the earlier year cars.

-Chris
post #3 of 15 Old 12-07-2009, 09:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
If you follow the map notes like what RcrsWetDream said. You can stick to just the Off the shelf maps (OTS maps), but normally a protune can squeeze out some more hp and tq than the baseline map. Plus, if you go a custom mod route. You'll need a protune to work with those parts.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #4 of 15 Old 12-08-2009, 08:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

airplnmdls is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to airplnmdls
Exactly what they said... get the AP and flash to stage 1 and you'll be fine. Get a turbo back exhaust, and flash to stage 2, you'll be fine. But then if you do more than that (depending on the mod) you might want to take it to a tuner for a protune. They could either use your access port or their laptop with an open source program! And that depends on the tuner...
post #5 of 15 Old 12-08-2009, 09:05 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Just think of it this way, like our cars, the AP is mass produced. The tuning has to be general and broad to be safe to work with every car that may want to use the said program. If you want to maximize what you have and have done to the car, the only real way to do that is through some type of professional tunnning (be it a road tune or a dyno tune). That way the map(s) that you are running are tailored specifically for your car and to optimize what you have.

Im not saying you absolutely have to have/get a tune over top the OTS map on the AP. I ran stage 1 for a year, then stage 2 for a year of the AP with no ill effect. I then upgraded to a 20G turbo and supporting mods and had my car tuned with my AP. The AP was my first mod for my car three years ago this month, and Im so glad I purchased it, its a great mod, tuning tool, diagnostic tool. Good luck with your decision, let us know if we can help anymore.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #6 of 15 Old 12-08-2009, 03:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

adizzle02 is an unknown
As all have said the ap is a great starting point and for some is more then enough. When i finally got a protune it was like going from stage 1 to stage 2.. more power, smoother through out the band just made the car that much more fun to drive.

Stage 2
post #7 of 15 Old 12-15-2009, 04:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

MJThurston is an unknown
Hi all. I just got an 04 WRX with a Stage 2 Turbo and a Cat Back Exhaust. I believe the two I've listed will add 60-70 HP. As I'm understanding the AP it can be programmed for different maps. So I have two questions on this.

1. What kind of HP will this add if I have it set to race gas map?

2. I'm assuming that I'll need to have this protuned because of the upgrades already on my car?
post #8 of 15 Old 12-15-2009, 05:27 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Asking how much HP you will get is not a very good question at all. There are just too many variables to account for. If you want a race gas map on an AP you will have to be tuned for it also.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #9 of 15 Old 12-15-2009, 06:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

MJThurston is an unknown
I didn't see anything in the AP for added HP for the race gas map. I'll go search just the race gas map and see if i can find it that way. I talked to another WRX fan and he said it would add 120 HP. I'll do some more research on here and see if I can find anything.

Also after reading some of the forum's I see that I need to look at a BOV for the upgrades that I have.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-15-2009, 09:19 PM

I meant about the race gas map. It depends on the tuner/tune, the dyno, the temp and so on.

What makes you say/think that you need a new BPV? I have seen stock units run up to 20PSI and higher with the "crush" mod. I mean you can get one, I run one when I really dont, just wondering the reasoning.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #11 of 15 Old 12-15-2009, 10:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
The question is why do you want a race gas map? For dragging? Because that gas is rediculously expensive.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #12 of 15 Old 12-16-2009, 06:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

MJThurston is an unknown
Ok I'd like to say sorry about the race gas map, I was confussed about what the map was for. After reading more into it, it's not what I'm looking for.

I really wish I would have come to this site befor I got my WRX. I'm in the Navy and was out to sea for 7 months. Before I left I had a Ford Focus with all the bells and whistles. This included the Rally Body Kit. I've always loved the Rally look. Well my brother borrowed my car and a drunk driver hit him, totalling my car. My brother was ok for the most part but my car was done.

I looked for a new car for some time and seen the WRX and was really impressed. I did not look at this nice forum before I got my WRX. After doing some searches (Kelly Blue Book/Web searches for WRXs)and driving around Norfolk I finally found a good priced WRX. 04 Impreza WRX with 90k miles, Stage 2 turbo, intercooler and turbo exhaust for only $8600. The issue now is that it was an A/T. I was set on a Manual but for the price at the time I couldn't walk away from what I thought was a steal.

So now i'm looking to get some more info on what I can do to my WRX to add more HP. I really wanted a set up that allows low gear speed because of the lag I feel before 30 MPH. I figured the Cobb App would do that and that the race gas map was for that. Now I understand it is for Racing Gas and not a gas to air ratio.

As for BOV I read that if you put a Stage 2 Turbo and a Stage 2 Exhaust you should replace the BPV with something else because of the PSI. If I don't need one then great. Although if there are some that make cool sounds I'd be interested in looking into them.

At this piont I'm wondering if the Cobb App will make a huge difference.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-16-2009, 08:14 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
If he said "stage 2 turbo" you probably misunderstood that it already has a stage 2 map on the car. Hence, the AP would do absolutely nothing for your current setup.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #14 of 15 Old 02-11-2010, 08:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

WTRacing is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJThurston View Post
Ok I'd like to say sorry about the race gas map, I was confussed about what the map was for. After reading more into it, it's not what I'm looking for.

I really wish I would have come to this site befor I got my WRX. I'm in the Navy and was out to sea for 7 months. Before I left I had a Ford Focus with all the bells and whistles. This included the Rally Body Kit. I've always loved the Rally look. Well my brother borrowed my car and a drunk driver hit him, totalling my car. My brother was ok for the most part but my car was done.

I looked for a new car for some time and seen the WRX and was really impressed. I did not look at this nice forum before I got my WRX. After doing some searches (Kelly Blue Book/Web searches for WRXs)and driving around Norfolk I finally found a good priced WRX. 04 Impreza WRX with 90k miles, Stage 2 turbo, intercooler and turbo exhaust for only $8600. The issue now is that it was an A/T. I was set on a Manual but for the price at the time I couldn't walk away from what I thought was a steal.

So now i'm looking to get some more info on what I can do to my WRX to add more HP. I really wanted a set up that allows low gear speed because of the lag I feel before 30 MPH. I figured the Cobb App would do that and that the race gas map was for that. Now I understand it is for Racing Gas and not a gas to air ratio.

As for BOV I read that if you put a Stage 2 Turbo and a Stage 2 Exhaust you should replace the BPV with something else because of the PSI. If I don't need one then great. Although if there are some that make cool sounds I'd be interested in looking into them.

At this piont I'm wondering if the Cobb App will make a huge difference.
I think your best bet would be to take the car to a tuner that uses open source have it tuned and call it a day. when my 04wagon was stage 2 i had no turbo lag i hit my peak boost of 20psi at 3k and tapered it off to 16 at redline and my 0-60 times were insane,
post #15 of 15 Old 06-04-2010, 11:29 AM
WRXtuners Member

05subywagon is an unknown
WTRacing, I see you are in Pilesgrove. I live near cherry hill. I was wondering if your WRX was protuned. If so, where did you go? I've been trying to find a good shop nearby. Any suggestions?