WHEN to flash to stage 1 - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 09-24-2012, 03:33 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
They could see if the ECU had ever been reflashed. Subaru itself sent out several reflashes for earlier year cars. Refusing service because they could detect the ECU had been reflashed in the past is ridiculous and would be easy to sue them for. Would somebody try it? Maybe, sure. Engines and transmissions aren't cheap. But if that's all they have to stand on it ain't gunna stick. Like I said before though, they can just say "abuse" anytime they want. Sports cars tend to have a little bit of guilty until proven innocent with abuse.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 09-24-2012, 03:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Search "checksum" on here. It leaves a trace of sorts.... But the 2012+ might be a little different, THAT or COBB has it down where they cannot tell. Justin will explain more.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#18 Old 09-24-2012, 06:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Everybody always freaks about the stock tune and blown motors. Despite the way people make it seem, only a small portion of STIs have irregular/premature unless they are abused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilty View Post
From all the reading I have done, it does in fact become traceable. I have heard that it does in fact void a warranty. Also, in July 2009, car and driver did a simple guide to a wrx and they mention "So, to get even more power, we had the engine reprogrammed. Remember, that voids your powertrain warranty." Five Steps to Making More Power in Your Subaru WRX – Feature – Car and Driver

You can always flashback as stated, but the dealership will know that something was messed with, but what it was for sure they wouldn't know. As far as I can tell, for something to be wrong and then for them to deny the claim, they would have to prove to you that what you did was the cause of it being messed up.

I am a newb, I am still awaiting my first WRX, in November. I may be wrong. Mosc is very knowledgeable and knows leaps and bounds beyond what I could possibly know. But I have done about 4 months worth of reading up every piece of knowledge I can get about this car so that I know what I am getting into, and this is what I have concluded on an AP. I will still be flashing mine even with what I have read.

Also, I have read from diff members on forums that a few dealerships offer a AP as an option, and flash before even being drivin off the lot.
It doesn't void, it can just potentially lead to warranty claim denials. You are right that they won't know WHAT was flashed if it's removed, just that it was. More likely you're gonna get spotted for blatant recently tampered parts. It doesn't take an idiot to tell when a care was recently flashed and parts were removed (scratched bolts, not as much corrosion or wear as their should be on stock parts, parts that come off easily, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmartynyuk View Post
there is no way they would know if the car has been flashed, if you put the stock map back on and they check it, it will be a stock map. The ecu does not give out info if its been flashed before, it only gives you the current settings in the rom.
The 1st half of the 1st sentence is wrong according to multiple Cobb employees (despite another one saying otherwise) and multiple dealerships, including the ones I worked in the service dept for. The rest of this statement is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
They could see if the ECU had ever been reflashed. Subaru itself sent out several reflashes for earlier year cars. Refusing service because they could detect the ECU had been reflashed in the past is ridiculous and would be easy to sue them for. Would somebody try it? Maybe, sure. Engines and transmissions aren't cheap. But if that's all they have to stand on it ain't gunna stick. Like I said before though, they can just say "abuse" anytime they want. Sports cars tend to have a little bit of guilty until proven innocent with abuse.
Suing a dealership for denied coverage. Good luck, they expensive lawyers. Abuse is pretty much an irrefutable trump card.
#19 Old 09-24-2012, 09:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
The restore to stock option is supposed to restore the original check sum. From what Cobb claims.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#20 Old 09-25-2012, 08:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

Subxero is an unknown
again, what do you guys do, or did you do when your car was till under warranty? Did you just flash to stock map, or completely uninstall the AP?

If you never had to do either of these which would you do if in the situation?

My 2012 will be due for its first check up very soon and am trying to figure out which route to go.

Thanks in advance,

sorry if this seems like thread highjacking, not my intension
#21 Old 09-25-2012, 08:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subxero View Post
again, what do you guys do, or did you do when your car was till under warranty? Did you just flash to stock map, or completely uninstall the AP?
Still detectable (also, that's fraud). Once you flash the car, you've already committed yourself to the "gotta pay to play" mantra.
#22 Old 09-26-2012, 05:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If anything

When you first flash your car, the AP gives you the option to save the stock map onto the AP. Do this. When you take it back in, uninstall it after the stock map is placed back on the car.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#23 Old 09-26-2012, 06:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
^ Ready the post above yours.
#24 Old 09-26-2012, 09:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

I say it's playing THEIR game when it comes to warranty work. I played it several times and won.... One time, not so much.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#25 Old 09-28-2012, 09:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
I say it's playing THEIR game when it comes to warranty work. I played it several times and won.... One time, not so much.
Did it resemble something like this?

Kirt
#26 Old 09-28-2012, 10:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ohhhh.... your sense of humor is coming back.... smartass.... No, on the stripped gears on the
07 WRX.... not my STi.... Thanks for bringing tthat up again... It's always nice. FOL

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#27 Old 10-01-2012, 09:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

sorry...you can't leave it that open for me.

Kirt
#28 Old 10-08-2012, 12:07 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jautry27 is an unknown
Maybe I can get this answered while you guys are sort of on the subject. I am dropping a new short block in mine. Subaru is not putting it, but another shop is. (trust me, they are legitimate). Will subaru offer any kind of warranty on that short block at all outside of the installation warranty I will get from the mechanic?

Jason - 2007 WRX TR - Warning: Objects In Mirror Are Losing
#29 Old 10-08-2012, 05:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

That's a question you should ask Subaru (if you bought the block through them)

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3