WHEN to flash to stage 1 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 09-13-2012, 11:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

Terrible1 is an unknown
WHEN to flash to stage 1

Hey subaru nation,
Im new to the forums and not even a WRX owner... YET. but my 2013 has an eta of 10/5. Please excuse me if these questions are answered already in the forums, I did some searching and did not find exaclty what i needed. Anyways.. as for my actual questions...

How soon can I flash my new car to stage one? from what i have read i feel like i need the car to be at stage one cause the factory tuning is poor. but can i do it right away or should i give the car a break in period before i go reformatting its computer?

Do i need any mods to go hand-in-hand with the stage one? or can it go straight from stock to stage one?

What are the major differences i will feel from stock to stage one?

And I have never tuned a car before but i am pretty computer literate and mechanically inclined.. would it be possible for me to buy a tactrix cable and do this myself? I would like to be able to so i can save some time and money and there are no tuners in my area that im aware of.

From what ive seen you guys are all very helpful answering questions so thank you in advance for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-13-2012, 11:24 AM
WRXtuners Member

05wrxcm is an unknown
Well if your going for ease the Cobb AP is probably the best haven't used tactrix so maybe someone else will chime in on that. Its a plug and play devise you download maps from the cobb website. Also you can keep the car completely stock no performance upgrades. The downside is the price it's 600$ if you want to spend it
#3 Old 09-13-2012, 01:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

jimbo058 is an unknown
1. You can flash your car to Stage 1 any time. Common sense says do it after break-in.

2. You can go straight to Stage 1 from stock. Most people do a cat-back exhaust and better air filter.

3. You will feel a smoother power curve and engine feel. It seems to have a little more pull.

4. If you have the aptitude for technical reading, diagrams, graphs and lots of numbers, open source tuning using the Tactrix cable gives you the opportunity to control virtually unlimited tuning options. Difficulty rating=High. I went with the Access Port for ease of use and all the other features such as performance monitoring, trouble code reading, monitoring sensor data, launch control, flat-foot shifting, shift light, and more. Difficulty rating=low, but still takes a whole day to learn how to use all the features.
#4 Old 09-13-2012, 04:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
You can go directly to stage one like the other guys said.
AP is user friendly. It's basically stupid proof.
Or open source. If you do your research you can learn it, just s bit trickier.
A favorite for this is rom raider. Good luck

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#5 Old 09-14-2012, 04:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Terrible1 is an unknown
Thanks so much for the help everyone. I think ill wait a couple weeks after getting it and just go with the cobb ap to save me some time and forseen headaches.

now this car will already be the fastest car i have ever owned and i dont plan on takin it to the track any time soon but will the stage one make the car faster? I would do it just to make it drive better, but if it will be faster too after only a flash thats an added bonus.. or do i need the catback and cai to expect hp gains?

you guys rule.
#6 Old 09-14-2012, 05:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
It smoothes everything out and few ponies are the bonus.

Right off COBB's website:

Power Output: STOCK INTAKE Stage1 93 MTv310 +13.5% HP / +17.3% lb-ft over stock.

Maximum Power Gains: Stage1+COBB's SF INTAKE 93 v311 +21.4% HP / +22.9% lb-ft over stock.

This is for the 2012, so it's going to be diff for you i'm sure as you will have the 2.0L (I'm assuming this)

https://static.cobbtuning.com/cobbtu...XM_12_v310.pdf <-- this is on the stock intake

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#7 Old 09-14-2012, 08:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

Terrible1 is an unknown
Awesome.
I know that if i do this itll void the warrenty, but how bad do i need the warrenty? am i at serious risk of anything failing me during the first 3/5 years of owning it and needing to relay on the warrenty?
#8 Old 09-14-2012, 10:35 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
1) It doesn't void shit
2) Warrantees on sports cars are suspect to begin with. "Abuse" can be claimed on a totally untouched car. happens every day
3) They won't know if you use an AP or not. You can re-flash to stock if you have to take it in.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#9 Old 09-15-2012, 11:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

Terrible1 is an unknown
okay so what im hearing is more hp + smoother drive = flash that shit asap
thanks everyone
im sure ill be the dude askin the newbie questions for some time to come but as long as im gettin all this assistance im cool with that
thanks again
#10 Old 09-15-2012, 05:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Subxero is an unknown
I flashed my 2012 after i ran a full tank through it following typical break in procedure for that tank. so i flashed around 300 miles give or take and i have had no issues. After flash it definitely smoothed out and could notice a difference especially in 2nd and 3rd gear. I flashed to Torqued performance stage 1 map (purchased), ran it for a few hundred, then did some 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear pulls sent my data logs to Eric (guy at torqued performance) and he did free e tune and it runs even smoother now, data logs look great! Could not be happier

Only thoughts, if you are going to try your hand at tuning...find someone on the site that is friendly and willing to help you out and get them to look over your tune before you use it to be safe.

A question to everyone who uses AP on newer cars, do you all uninstall before you take your car in for service? or just take it in as is? or just flash to stock?

I have not had to take mine in just yet but not to long
#11 Old 09-23-2012, 12:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Alexmartynyuk is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible1 View Post
Hey subaru nation,
Im new to the forums and not even a WRX owner... YET. but my 2013 has an eta of 10/5. Please excuse me if these questions are answered already in the forums, I did some searching and did not find exaclty what i needed. Anyways.. as for my actual questions...

How soon can I flash my new car to stage one? from what i have read i feel like i need the car to be at stage one cause the factory tuning is poor. but can i do it right away or should i give the car a break in period before i go reformatting its computer?

Do i need any mods to go hand-in-hand with the stage one? or can it go straight from stock to stage one?

What are the major differences i will feel from stock to stage one?

And I have never tuned a car before but i am pretty computer literate and mechanically inclined.. would it be possible for me to buy a tactrix cable and do this myself? I would like to be able to so i can save some time and money and there are no tuners in my area that im aware of.

From what ive seen you guys are all very helpful answering questions so thank you in advance for any help!
You can flash it right away, break it in, then drive like its meant to be driven as for stage 1 mods you don't really need any mods thats why its called stage 1. With the cobb ap you might not feel any difference between stock and stage 1 so I imagine you would be unhappy. If you get a tactrix cable pm me, ill help you learn tuning, it took me a good two years to learn but mostly because not many people care to share much info about tuning but i have found some that were helpful.
#12 Old 09-23-2012, 07:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

jilty is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
1) It doesn't void shit
2) Warrantees on sports cars are suspect to begin with. "Abuse" can be claimed on a totally untouched car. happens every day
3) They won't know if you use an AP or not. You can re-flash to stock if you have to take it in.
From all the reading I have done, it does in fact become traceable. I have heard that it does in fact void a warranty. Also, in July 2009, car and driver did a simple guide to a wrx and they mention "So, to get even more power, we had the engine reprogrammed. Remember, that voids your powertrain warranty." Five Steps to Making More Power in Your Subaru WRX – Feature – Car and Driver

You can always flashback as stated, but the dealership will know that something was messed with, but what it was for sure they wouldn't know. As far as I can tell, for something to be wrong and then for them to deny the claim, they would have to prove to you that what you did was the cause of it being messed up.

I am a newb, I am still awaiting my first WRX, in November. I may be wrong. Mosc is very knowledgeable and knows leaps and bounds beyond what I could possibly know. But I have done about 4 months worth of reading up every piece of knowledge I can get about this car so that I know what I am getting into, and this is what I have concluded on an AP. I will still be flashing mine even with what I have read.

Also, I have read from diff members on forums that a few dealerships offer a AP as an option, and flash before even being drivin off the lot.
#13 Old 09-23-2012, 11:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

there is no way they would know if the car has been flashed, if you put the stock map back on and they check it, it will be a stock map. The ecu does not give out info if its been flashed before, it only gives you the current settings in the rom.
#14 Old 09-24-2012, 05:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I believe the 2012 is the first year that they cannot trace the reflash back to stock. Service advisor buddy here locally told me this. Not sure but he knows a bit about the Subies.

Something to do with the checksum on the previous years they were able to check.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#15 Old 09-24-2012, 02:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

never heard of that before, I went in to my local dealership and asked them if they are able to trace a reflash, they said no.