Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Tuning & Engine Management (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/)
-   -   what would happen if i did this (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/what-would-happen-if-i-did-24916/)

05rex 12-11-2008 11:17 AM

what would happen if i did this

hey guys i just picked up my accessport and now im running stage 1 , I dont have a aftermarket downpipe i just have the cobb cat-back. What would happen if I went to stage 2 without the bigger downpipe. Has anybody ever done this?

dumdum 12-11-2008 11:39 AM

Why not try reading Cobb's map notes.They are there for a reason.......

05rex 12-11-2008 11:57 AM

I just read the map notes on cobb and it didnt say anything negative or positive, can you be so kind and inform me great one.

04paulieWRX 12-11-2008 01:04 PM

My assumption is that you would run rich. Going stage 2 increases the boost and therefore would have to increase the fuel to match it.

Honestly, its not worth it. you can find a used downpipe on nasioc for like 150 bucks. JUst throw one on there before you start messing around with the ecu.

Labukas19 12-11-2008 01:52 PM

i forget who said it but someone on here said "it's like shoving a watermelon through a straw". thoguth it was pretty funny lol...

SuBeast 12-11-2008 03:49 PM

[QUOTE=Labukas19;211009]i forget who said it but someone on here said "it's like shoving a watermelon through a straw". thoguth it was pretty funny lol...[/QUOTE]

!Laugh! it is pretty funny, but true. I can only image what kind of damage you'd cause by upgrading the ecu tune without the correct supporting modification..... My suggestion to the OP: Don't try it.

newtothegame 12-11-2008 08:09 PM

Or try it and let us know what happens in a few months. I have seen this asked before, but no one try it.

05rex 12-12-2008 06:32 AM

I dont think i want to be the test rat on this subject so I will just leave it alone
thankyou

dumdum 12-12-2008 08:38 AM

[QUOTE=04paulieWRX;211008]My assumption is that you would run rich. Going stage 2 increases the boost and therefore would have to increase the fuel to match it.
[/QUOTE]Doesn't work like that.Fuel is added accordingly to airflow calculated from the MAF.If I unhhoked my BCS and ran wastegate pressure without changing my mapping at all,my car would run perfectly fine and the proper fuel amount would be given to achieve the proper AFR.Plus if that was the case how do you think your car applies fueling when it's in vacuum?

[QUOTE=Labukas19]
i forget who said it but someone on here said "it's like shoving a watermelon through a straw". thoguth it was pretty funny lol...[/QUOTE]That is actually more correct.Stage 2 raises the boost much higher and sooner.But it is very counter productive to try and do that through the stock DP and midpipe and could cause much higher EGT's than normal possibly.This would not be good for the preturbo cat in the up-pipe.