1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 07-19-2013, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Skylark is an unknown
Send a message via Skype™ to Skylark
What Should I Fill My Pod With??

Hey Guys,

So... I want to put a new set of AEM gauges in my '04 WRX's a pillar gauge pod. I know that I want oil pressure and boost.

For the third... I was thinking about a wideband A/F ratio... but everything I've been seeing says that they're a waste of money, and nothing more than pretty lights. Is there a lot of truth to that?

So... if not a wideband A/F... what should I fill the third pod space with?

Also.. how do you guys feel about a analog digital signal AEM boost gauge (sender under the hood) as opposed to a manual boost gauge (one where the vacuum line runs right into the back of the gauge)?

Thanks for any and all suggestions!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-19-2013, 05:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

NeverSummer is more helpful than not
Oil temp

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #3 of 19 Old 07-19-2013, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Skylark is an unknown
Why do you say oil temp. just out of curiosity?

Isn't engine temp. enough? I don't know, that's why I'm asking... i'd assume that when the engine temp. increases, the oil temp. will also increase. Seems kind of redundant?
post #4 of 19 Old 07-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
A/f ratio for sure. Any good tuner will use it to tune with, helps you monitor your engine and tune, you can use it to log with, and a/f ratio is pretty vital. It can also clue you in to boost leaks. No brainer in my opinion. As long as you are using a wideband sensor its much more than pretty lights. I have the Aem and like it.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #5 of 19 Old 07-19-2013, 10:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quartz clock baby....that's how I roll...Boost, Oil pressure, and....hmmm I only have 2 so I don't think I'd be of much help. Oil temp isn't really needed unless your making big power, after all oil is, well hot if the engines been running... A/F I can see, but as stated you'd need to be running a wide band O2, but that's not a good idea, those sensors are expensive and wear out rather quickly...Contrary to their name oxygen sensors don't really like oxygen that much...that's like naming a driveway a place to park and a parkway a place to drive...it's silly. I ramble sometimes.

I'd say Boost, Oil Pressure and maybe a better engine temp...

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #6 of 19 Old 07-20-2013, 11:03 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I have boost, oil pressure, and exhaust gas temperature in my triple pillar pod. The EGT gauge was useful in determining that my catalytic converter was blocked during a tuning session as the temperature went up higher than it normally should. Other than that, it's probably the least useful gauge I have. It's interesting to watch how hot the exhaust gases get a few inches out of the block though.

John
07 WRX
post #7 of 19 Old 07-20-2013, 02:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
I have boost, oil pressure, and exhaust gas temperature in my triple pillar pod. The EGT gauge was useful in determining that my catalytic converter was blocked during a tuning session as the temperature went up higher than it normally should. Other than that, it's probably the least useful gauge I have. It's interesting to watch how hot the exhaust gases get a few inches out of the block though.
You should see how hot they get in the block....
man show likes this.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #8 of 19 Old 07-22-2013, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Skylark is an unknown
This is all really helpful.

Here's my next question.... correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 2004 WRX already use a wideband sensor as the upstream "o2" sensor? I'm pretty sure it's got a reading of 0-5v, and i remember looking at replacing it and the box for the new sensor saying "wideband" right on it.

That being said... if the sensor is in fact a wideband, is there anyway i can tap into that sensor and use it for both the ECU, and my new A/F gauge? As opposed to tapping a new hole into my exhaust??
post #9 of 19 Old 07-22-2013, 09:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^the stocker is a "narrowband" unless it's been replaced with an aftermarket.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #10 of 19 Old 07-22-2013, 12:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

The stock front O2 is not a true wide band and really sucks for actual tuning and if memory servers me correct its the same one used in Hondas...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #11 of 19 Old 07-22-2013, 02:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I'd add guages in this priority:

1. Oil temp,
2. Oil pressure [there's an idiot light for this as well, but it may be too late], and
3. Boost.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return
post #12 of 19 Old 07-22-2013, 02:57 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I don't see the point of oil temp. The car monitors temp anyway. It's not THAT inaccurate and doesn't shoot up instantaneously. I'd look for fuel pressure. Not an easy sensor but it's nice to know your fuel system is working properly. Fuel pumps fail.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #13 of 19 Old 07-22-2013, 04:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
^ I've always thought the opposite.... Oil temp is more important than pressure. Correct if I'm wrong. By the time the pressure is too low, it's already too late...

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #14 of 19 Old 07-22-2013, 04:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful LW_Black4 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
I don't see the point of oil temp. The car monitors temp anyway. It's not THAT inaccurate and doesn't shoot up instantaneously. I'd look for fuel pressure. Not an easy sensor but it's nice to know your fuel system is working properly. Fuel pumps fail.
I don't disagree mosc, but a fuel failure is not catastrophic nor expensive, when lack of oil pressure is quite when you are pushing a machine hard.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return
post #15 of 19 Old 07-22-2013, 05:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fuel pressure can be a PITA depending on platform... If Suby is moving to DI.... it's going to be more detrimental than the PI setups. Just wanted to add that.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement