LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 08-27-2013, 07:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is a helpful contributing member
Garage
What petrol do you use, and why?

This is from a 2011 manual...
"! Except STI
The engine is designed to operate using premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 AKI (95 RON) or higher. If premium unleaded gasoline is not available, regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 87 AKI (90 RON) or higher may be temporarily used. For optimum engine performance and driveability, it is required that you use premium grade unleaded gasoline.
NOTE
Be sure to use premium unleaded gasoline of 91 AKI (95 RON) or higher. If other gasoline (lower than 91 AKI (95 RON)) is used, knocking, reduced outputand poor accelerator response will result."

Although modern engines are designed with some adaptability to lower octane (ignition retard, boost reduction, etc.), Subaru 2.5L engines are vulnerable to detonation and the correct octane is highly recommended.

What petrol do you use in your performance Subaru engine, and why?

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-27-2013, 08:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

Haw1es is more helpful than not
Garage
I have a stock '10 WRX and I run 93octane as much as possible. I do this for 2 reasons, first I was royally f%#ked over by a local station when I ran 91 once. I had horrible knock, severe power loss and eventually an almost fully clogged injector. The local dealer ran a vapor test and found the results were half of what they were supposed to be. The dealer couldn't legally confirm, but it wasn't 91 octane. I then found out that in the state of Maine, the gas is supplied locally. This means that the shell station doesn't sell "shell" gas they buy it from a local company. The only local company I trust carries 93 and Ive never had a problem.
Secondly, I purchased the car used and after talking with the mechanics at the dealer finally found out that the car was stage 1 with an intake and turbo back exhaust. They said it was all put back to stock but I feel safer running 93. I may be completely wrong thinking its better for it. If running 93 is not a good option, please correct me. Id rather corrected now than have to replace the engine later.
#3 Old 08-27-2013, 08:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Sunoco 93, never let me down. In all my 6+ turbocharged cars
arewmors likes this.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#4 Old 08-27-2013, 09:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
93 doesn't hurt on a stock map. I normally use Rutter's 93 oct around me. Simply because its a gas chain around me that actually carries 93 oct at every station. But, I've used Sunoco 93 when traveling up northern PA.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#5 Old 08-27-2013, 10:30 AM
Vendor

PROImportTuners is more helpful than not
We only have 91 here in California

But I always fill up at the same gas station and same pump to keep it consistent

PRO Import Tuners
http://www.proimporttuners.com
#6 Old 08-27-2013, 10:58 AM
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
yep same here all we got is 91 or 103 but can't run that in my subaru
#7 Old 08-27-2013, 11:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan21 View Post
yep same here all we got is 91 or 103 but can't run that in my subaru
Yeah, 103 would require a tune.

Kirt
#8 Old 08-27-2013, 01:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Any concern about Ethanol fuels?

I think that there is no longer any issue with ethanol fuels, but my car Club mates Prefer Shell V-Power - which has none - or racing fuel if they have special octane requirements for trailered track cars.

The 2nd most popular fuel at the track I see is Ultra 94 - which has ethanol - but also has the highest street octane in Canada, without resorting to tank additives.
Attached Images

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return

Last edited by LW_Black4; 08-27-2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Clarity.
#9 Old 08-27-2013, 01:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LW_Black4 View Post
Any concern about Ethanol fuels?

I think that there is no longer any issue with ethanol fuels, but my car Club mates Prefer Shell V-Power - which has none - or racing fuel if they have special octane requirements for trailered track cars.

The 2nd most popular fuel at the track I see is Ultra 94 - which has ethanol - but also has the highest street octane in Canada, without additives.
Some people say it can gum up stuff and you need more ethanol to burn vs gas. Typical gas mixes you may not see it as bad...but, it's why you need bigger injectors for E85 or E100 vs gas. It's harder to start a cold car on ethanol vs gas too. Not many people could even find E100 to have that concern. But, E85 has the same issues on start up. Plus, ethanol is harder on small engines like a mower engine. Because they weren't made to burn ethanol.

Kirt
#10 Old 08-27-2013, 02:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Actually in Economy mode with my engine I can run 87oct... , but I run 93 because that's what I tuned it on. Even in non economy mode I can still run 93 with 22psi.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#11 Old 09-14-2013, 11:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

texasmr2 is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LW_Black4 View Post
What petrol do you use in your performance Subaru engine, and why?
A engine is still just an engine regardless of the make and any forced induction engine should always run the highest octane available. I will do the same thing with my WRX as I did with my built MR2T and SC300/2JZGTE-T78 and dump one gallon of Toluene in the tank when I fill up with 93. I have a distributor of race fuels within 1 mile of my house but 5 gallons of 105 unleaded is over $50 so that can get expensive.

Last edited by texasmr2; 09-20-2013 at 07:50 PM.