What does the ecu log? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-21-2012, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

agileblue is an unknown
What does the ecu log?

What does the ecu log? Like if you have to take your car in for warranty work?

Kelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-22-2012, 06:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Are you asking if the dealer car see if the car has been retuned or "flashed" previously?

Yes they can on your model year BUT they can't see when it was flashed. Did you buy the car private or at a dealership?

You just got your car 8 weeks ago, you will be able to fight on the engine issues you are having.

Paul
2002 WRX Sold
2007 WRX Sold
2007 STi totaled
2007 Foz XT sold
2007 MS3
post #3 of 6 Old 03-22-2012, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

agileblue is an unknown
Cool thanks. I bought the car at the subie dealership so I doubt the car has been tuned in its lifetime. It's bone stock - I know, what fun! (sarcasm)

But ya, I haven't done anything to this car that should make its rod bearings go out so idk what the deal is other than high mileage or maybe some severe abuse at the hands of the person who owned it before me?

editing to add: Also, how the heck can they tell if the car has been raced? My only thought was that the speeds are logged in the ecu or something!

Kelly
post #4 of 6 Old 03-22-2012, 09:48 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Google "freeze frame". The ECU will store data like speed, boost pressure, RPM, and load whenever a DTC (trouble code) is set off. A trouble code does not always cause a CEL. Rod bearings usually go because of detonation. The factory knock sensors will trigger a DTC.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-22-2012, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

agileblue is an unknown
What is detonation? You're talking to someone who really doesn't know much about cars - sorry for the amount of questions following.

So, my cars check engine light wasn't even on when I brought it in. But there are still codes telling them what could be the problem? If they could pin point it with codes I don't get why it is taking them so long to diagnose. I'm probably so off, bare with me please.

Kelly
post #6 of 6 Old 03-22-2012, 11:45 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Engine knocking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Trouble codes and check engine lights are there to tell you that you have a potential problem. They don't tell you what causing it. Things such as misfires and detonation can have dozens of causes.