What could I exspect to get when tuning a mostly stock 04 wrx? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-16-2010, 03:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

Nekoawag04 is an unknown
What could I exspect to get when tuning a mostly stock 04 wrx?

I have been looking at a lot of stuff to do to my car. I keep feeling like it would be good to get my car retuned but not sure when I should do it. It is kinda spendy at a shop. Any short cuts or things I should do before I go through with this? Like should I wait till I can afford a down pipe and then get it tuned? All I have done to my car is a axle back Turbo xs exhaust and after a down pipe I think I will be happy for awhile (MAYBE). New to this so please be easy on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-16-2010, 05:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

allvolwrx is more helpful than not
The cobb accessport is a great tuning tool. CobbTuning.com - Home Page You can go straight to stage one without any other mods after you get an ap. Stage one is usually good for 12%more hp and 18% more tq. After that you can tune for future mods as you get them. Here are some map notes. cobb . wrx accessport . map listing These will tell you what upgrades are compatible with the maps the ap comes with and a few other ots maps. There is a good tuning faq and others here http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787
#3 Old 02-16-2010, 08:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
^ Agreed.

Engine Management FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

I have a Cobb AP and I've been Stage 2 for just over 2 years now and 34,000+ miles and I'm still happy. I think once you bite the bullet and get a nice bellmouth downpipe and Stage 2 tune, you'll be happy for a while. I'm still waiting until I have my car completely paid off and some extra money in the bank before I start building beyond where I'm at now.

John
07 WRX
#4 Old 02-16-2010, 08:07 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I can attest to the AP being an awesome mod for the car. I have ran the car anywhere from stage 1 (directly after the AP came out, and my car was maybe 2 months old). I ran stage 2 for about a year, and have been running a custom map to account for my 20G turbo and supporting mods. I have about 6-7 maps just for my 20G, they go from wastegate pressure up to 20PSI (where we decided to stop) in both 91 and 92OCT so I can pretty much run my car anywhere. If you look around you can find used APs for rather cheap (just be sure that the AP was unmarried from the previous car). Or Cobb has just reduced the price of a brand new down to the price of $595.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#5 Old 02-27-2010, 11:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

Nekoawag04 is an unknown
Put on a turbo back exhaust yesterday and got the cobb stage 2 going.It is a lot better. But I still have that annoying noise after 3000 rpms. I wish someone in Austin on here that knew these cars better than i did could hear it. I don't trust most shops. I'm starting to think it has something to do with my Clutch/tranny. it only makes the noise when I let go of the gas pedal after 3000 rpms. Really starting to get to me....... i think I can go ahead and rule out all heat shields. While I was under my car yesterday i check them for looseness. Couldn't find anything.
#6 Old 02-27-2010, 12:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoawag04 View Post
Put on a turbo back exhaust yesterday and got the cobb stage 2 going.It is a lot better. But I still have that annoying noise after 3000 rpms. I wish someone in Austin on here that knew these cars better than i did could hear it. I don't trust most shops. I'm starting to think it has something to do with my Clutch/tranny. it only makes the noise when I let go of the gas pedal after 3000 rpms. Really starting to get to me....... i think I can go ahead and rule out all heat shields. While I was under my car yesterday i check them for looseness. Couldn't find anything.
Flywheel chatter.

Check your tire pressure.