Wastegate issues - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 04-17-2012, 06:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
I was searching some websites and decided to check ebay and came across this. Can ya'll look at this and tell me if this would be worth it.

Turbo Wastegate Actuator SUBARU TF035HM TD04L 13T 17psi | eBay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 04-17-2012, 08:01 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I remember a few years ago I was looking at bying one of these for my evo316g and then decided to go EWG... Louder, yes.... but more functional and no issues with the WG arm.... Maybe something to look into.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#18 Old 04-17-2012, 08:22 AM
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
is it a difficult change to go from an IWG to an EWG?
#19 Old 04-17-2012, 08:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Not too bad... with a little $.. and

Well, quite a bit of money and time. Might be a waste on a stocker td04

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#20 Old 04-17-2012, 09:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
So my better bet is to just get the one I found on ebay since I don't plan on really changing any of the stock parts for the moment so I can at least try to achieve the boost level my car is tuned to do
#21 Old 04-17-2012, 09:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

Correct... just didn't know if you were in a rush or this was your project car/daily driver.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#22 Old 04-17-2012, 10:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
Yea this is my DD car so im not too concerned with doing any major upgrades on it at the moment. Thats why i like this tune so much because its only really aggressive when i stomp on it so when im driving around its not being rough on the motor and its not killing my gas that much. So im gonna go ahead and order that part and when it comes in and i put it on ill probably post on here if it helped my situation which im hoping it does cause im out of ideas lol
#23 Old 04-22-2012, 01:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
Alright so I finally got the new IWG in yesterday so I put it in today and then reset my ecu so it wasn't trying to adjust compared to the old wastegate and this is what I got. I've got to say I'm so happy that I finally got this thing working right. I know the boost doesn't hold, but to my understand the wrx turbo doesn't hold boost as well as the sti turbo does. The biggest difference is obviously the WGDC for the fact that before I was almost 100% and now im sitting around 67% and getting more boost. I might have to lengthen the arm a little bit though once it starts to get colder again, but for the most part it looks so much better and feels so much better now. The response to the throttle is a lot different from before so I'm glad it ended up being something as simple as just changing my wastegate. Anything that you see in this log that might look suspicious please let me know and thanks again for helping me try to figure this mess out.
Attached Files
File Type: txt newwastegate.txt (1.8 KB, 62 views)
#24 Old 04-22-2012, 10:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
So, that part is just a upgraded wastegate? Crazy that the old wastegate was the problem...but, I'm glad that this new wastegate is fixing the problem. See, fewer WGDCs and more boost. I knew something was off that your WGDC were too high and lacked boost. It shouldn't take rediculous amounts of WGDCs to max out your turbo.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#25 Old 04-23-2012, 10:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
Yea to my understanding its just got an upgraded spring in it. The only thing i had to do was get 1/4" vacuum hose cause the nipple on the wastegate was 1/4" instead of 3/16" and then an adapter fitting to go from the 1/4" hose to 3/16" hose and everything else lined up perfectly. I did notice tho after i did that log that my arm had a lot of play in it so ive adjusted since then and it actually seems to hold the boost better. I might run another log since its kind of cold right now here in va to make sure its not going to spike any but i definitely understand what you were saying now about the wgdc. Its not every day that you get a problem that ends up being somethin simple so im definitely glad on that
#26 Old 04-23-2012, 01:26 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
You wasted your money unfortunately. I used to run 22psi on my stock wastegate actuator. You just needed to shorten the arm. I would have PB blasted it and added some heat from a torch to free the arm. Also running a 3port EBCS works like a charm as well. The stock 2port is a bleed style system that is not efficient at higher boost pressures.

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#27 Old 04-23-2012, 02:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

jackblack is an unknown
70 bucks really aint a waste of money for the fact that i did everything you mention to get the arm to adjust but it did no good for the fact it wasnt the nut that wouldnt loosen it was the piece on the end that would not budge either longer or shorter. In fact once i took the actuator off it was extremely loose on the arm where it went into the actuator and it felt as if the spring had no resistance what so ever. So in my personal opinion yea i couldve spent hours trying to get one little arm to move but that still didnt guarantee me that my actuator was in good of enough shape to work correctly. So in the end it didnt hurt me to go ahead and get this actuator cause it didnt cost a lot, it took 30 mins to put it on, and im happy with the results so i can live with the 70 bucks that i had to pay
#28 Old 04-23-2012, 02:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Glad it worked out in the end.

CHEERS!!

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3