Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Tuning & Engine Management (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/)
-   -   Wastegate issues (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f70/wastegate-issues-32334/)

jackblack 04-12-2012 02:40 PM

Wastegate issues

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 07 wrx with which I use opensource with. The tune that is on my car right now is a stage 2 tune and the boost is set to reach up to 17 lbs. I ran some logs that I posted below where its showing my WGDC is not even reaching 100% at most it is reaching is 90%. I'm guessing that is probably what is preventing my from going over 15 lbs so what are some things I need to look for to figure out what could be the issue. I've already gone back through the tune and the WGDC is maxed at 99 which means it should be able to reach that percentage. any suggestions please help

turmic 04-12-2012 06:15 PM

You do realize that your WGDC % is how hard your wastegate is working to make the boost you're trying to make. You're probably just pushing the little TD04 turbo out of its efficency range. I don't know squat about Opensource to tell you what to adjust. But, just figured I'd clear up some air about the WGDC.

jackblack 04-12-2012 07:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yea I understand that which is why I'm going to post a log from about 2 weeks ago with a different tune. It's the same car same setup just a different tune on it and as you will see the WGDC reaches 99.2% but then my car based off of the manifold relative pressure doesn't even reach 13lbs of boost. So that told me that tune needed to go so I went back to a tune that I had gotten from xpt tuning and now I'm getting this result. So what would keep the wastegate from reaching 100% on this tune? and if going by what you are saying that it's not necessarily a bad thing that the duty cycle doesn't reach 100% what other factors could be causing me not to reach my target boost? I'm just trying to pin point what I need to focus on as to what could be causing my car to not reach it's boost correctly whether it be because of a boost leak, a wastegate issue, or a bad tune. Just trying to get some insight.

pzr2874 04-12-2012 07:26 PM

Adjust the wastegate arm a quarter turn and do another log.

jackblack 04-12-2012 07:40 PM

I actually tried to adjust the wastegate earlier today but it wont turn at all. I can loosen the nut and take the C-clip off and everything, but the part of the arm i'm suppose to turn won't turn it just moves the whole arm. I sprayed it a couple of times with pb blaster and still same result so i was thinking about taking it by my local subaru dealership and see if someone can get it to unseize. Unless you got a suggestion on how I could get it to loosen up cause i've tried everything without taking the risk of damaging the arm.

BLAZE2099 04-12-2012 07:46 PM

Sorry, I'm going off topic. Jackblack, nice freakin park job!

hahaha

jackblack 04-12-2012 08:02 PM

haha actually that was how the people i bought it from parked it to take that picture. i just took their picture caused i liked how it showed the car lol

turmic 04-13-2012 10:28 PM

Ok, so normally a high WGDC means that you're struggling to get the boost that you set. My WGDC is not 100% and its probably more like 60-70%. I haven't checked lately and I make great power. The end goal is not 100% WGDC to make power....its to make good power at a reasonable WGDC.

jackblack 04-14-2012 07:30 AM

ok so in other words I could be looking at two possible problems either the wastegate needs to be adjusted or I could have a boost leak. So probably the safest thing to check first would be a boost leak. I talked to my dealership about doing a boost leak test for me but I'm not paying that much. Is there a way I could do it myself without havin to spend an arm and leg and still get the same result? Also could it be possible that my turbo is wearing out would that effect it like that or would it be a more noticeable power loss than that

pzr2874 04-14-2012 09:10 AM

Check the turbo (wouldn't hurt) Take the IC off and see if you have oil everywhere.

turmic 04-15-2012 11:14 AM

Yeah, I'd check for a boost leak and the turbo.

jackblack 04-16-2012 06:56 AM

Ok I took the IC off yesterday and check around the y-pipe and then took that off and looked at the inside of the turbo from that outlet. It had a little bit of black oil on the inside of it not coated in oil on the inside but enough to be able to see it, so I cleaned that out with a rag and i checked all the gaskets and couplers around the IC and everything looked to be in good shape. I really don't want to have to spend that much money to get it checked out at the delearship but it looks like its my best bet to ensure its running right.

jackblack 04-16-2012 04:42 PM

I went by subaru today and talked with some of the techs there. One told me that the stock bpv will not allow the car to reach that much boost because it can't hold the pressure so I need to upgrade to an aftermarket bpv. Does this make sense to anybody as far as what could be my problem?

pzr2874 04-17-2012 05:57 AM

20-21lbs is the factory BPV limits. If you are on 17lbs, that shouldn't be an issue. They are high.

jackblack 04-17-2012 06:44 AM

That's what I was thinking as far as what I have read on here. I should've known not to listen to what he said when he started telling me to just unhook the vacuum lines from the bcs and put a manual boost controller in its place to turn my boost up. The only thing I'm really thinking that I could do is adjust the wastegate arm but for some reason it will not budge so I'm tempted to just replace it with a new actuator from forge motorsports and then maybe see if that will work.