up down rpm - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-08-2009, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

macosh is an unknown
up down rpm

when the car is already warm and is not running mean waiting for traffic light you can see the rpm going up and down little bit and hear the engine up and down as well. Thank you guys for all these answer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-09-2009, 09:15 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Could be a number of things. That only time something similar to that happened to me was in my 02 Cougar, the alternator was going out. Not sure if thats your issue, but check the electrical system (battery, alternator, ground).

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #3 of 7 Old 12-09-2009, 04:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Is your A/C on? Because if the compressor kicks in. Your engine will change RPMs when the compressor turns on and off.

Edit: A/C for your defrost.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #4 of 7 Old 12-11-2009, 12:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

pb-king07 is an unknown
I had this problem in my prelude. my intake manifold was really really dirty and all the sensors had dirt and crap on it. Its been a really long time but I think the MAF was in there and it was dirty to. if i was you i would try to clean out your MAF then see what happens. when was the last time you had your plugs changed?
post #5 of 7 Old 12-11-2009, 07:15 AM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
A lot of people don't know that your defroster setting kicks on the A/C compressor, like mentioned above , I bet that is what you are experiencing.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #6 of 7 Old 12-11-2009, 09:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful VD5505 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to VD5505 Send a message via MSN to VD5505
What do you all have done to your car? How many RPM's does it range from? Look around for vacuum leaks as well, Have you ever had your car tuned before?
post #7 of 7 Old 12-11-2009, 12:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
How much is it raising and dropping? Your IAC (Idle Air Controller) has a lot to do with that as well. If it's full of crap it will also cause your car to jump up and down in a cycle. It will run for about a second at 1500-2000 rpm, then bog down as if it were going to stall, then come back up for a second, then drop. Is that what you are experiencing? Or are you talking about more of a "load based" drop (i.e. when you're stereo is crazy loud, A/C compressor kicks on, power steering in locked position). Fill us in on specifically the issue you're having, and we can help a little more. The IAC is about $200-$300 but you can often take it out, clean it, dry it, and put it back in. On my old Prelude there was an adjustment to it which we had to change the first winter I had the car. If it's a load based drop, that's completely normal. Give us details on RPM levels and duration of each in the cycle and maybe we can help more.