Tuning time? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-15-2009, 07:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Tuning time?

This might be a very generic question, but at what point during the modification process does it become necessary to get a tune? Thanks

-Mike F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-15-2009, 09:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
When you replace any of the following you will need a tune.

downpipe
turbo
intercooler
injectors

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#3 Old 10-15-2009, 09:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
Alright. Is there any way I can tell if my car already has a tune, because it had a downpipe when I bought it? Thanks.

-Mike
#4 Old 10-15-2009, 09:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

VisiX is a helpful contributing member
The only way you could tell is to pull the map off your car and compare it to the stock map. You would need a Cobb AP or Tactrix Cable.
#5 Old 10-15-2009, 10:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If you don't have a tune you would probably see a Check Engine Light with an aftermarket downpipe.

Flip the key to the on position and make sure the CEL turns on.

My friend just bought a Mustang and the person that sold it to him just removed the CEL light bulb before he sold it.

2005 WRX Cobb Stage 2
2009 Outback
#6 Old 10-15-2009, 11:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

mfarnham is an unknown
I know my CEL works. I going to assume it has a tune because there are other mods done to it as well. I bought the car about one month ago and I keep discovering more mods on it. I wish I could get a hold of the previous owner but I bought it from a dealer, and the dealer bought it from Texas. Well thanks for your help.
#7 Old 10-15-2009, 11:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk05WRX View Post
My friend just bought a Mustang and the person that sold it to him just removed the CEL light bulb before he sold it.
Aww... that's a dirty trick

I've always wanted to use a thumbs down emoticon

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#8 Old 11-04-2009, 03:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

new 'bru is an unknown
Sorry for the thread-jack, but it's still on topic. I have stage 1 on my 07 WRX, and I seem to have lag from 3000 to 3500 rpm. Is this a big problem? I'm trying to save enough $$$ (f-ing mortgage) for a Cobb TBE and intake w/ heat shield before I get it tuned, unless I'm doing some damage to my car. Does this sound like the right path or am I getting into some trouble? I've run the OTS map for almost a year already...

Last edited by new 'bru; 11-04-2009 at 03:45 PM. Reason: can't spell for $h1t
#9 Old 11-04-2009, 11:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'd be willing to bet the lag you're experiencing is completely normal. The stock downpipe blank plate design really hinders the performance of your engine - even with the smoother Stage 1 power curve. Once you get a nice aftermarket bellmouth downpipe (you'll love Cobb's dp if that's what you end up getting - I have it and love it) and flash to Stage 2, you'll notice a world of difference. I've been running a Stage 2 Cobb OTS map for about 1 year and 8 months (~30,000 miles) and haven't experienced any problems besides a random CEL that occasionally comes on which I think may be a bad ground somewhere that I still haven't had time to figure out.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#10 Old 11-06-2009, 04:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

new 'bru is an unknown
Thanks for the reply, man show. I'm trying to validate stage two to my gf. I figure by income tax time I'll be good.
#11 Old 11-06-2009, 04:41 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Quote:
Originally Posted by new 'bru View Post
Thanks for the reply, man show. I'm trying to validate stage two to my gf. I figure by income tax time I'll be good.
To justify it, just tell her its so you get better gas mileage, and to make the car more efficient. This statement can be held true if you drive sensible. Its hard, but as I have added more power to my car, it has progressively gotten better gas mileage.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"