Time for monitoring - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 05-01-2009, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Time for monitoring

I need to get my gauge on! Seriously, I don't even have a boost gauge, and I'm scared. So looking into it, I found the cheapest clock delete gauge pods are like $50,and I thought to myself, wow, that's expensive for a thin plastic mold. Then I searched here for decent gauge brands and just about crapped my pants when I saw the prices for the decent brands even on ebay(greddy, plx, defi, etc).

I want a wideband, oil pressure, fuel pressure, and boost gauge.

So walk me through this please. What brands are not stupid expensive but look and act like they are? Where do I get them? I was also thinking with that kind of pricing for 4 gauges and a couple pods, maybe it would be more cost effective to get an electronic head unit that can monitor the afore-mentioned. But this I haven't even looked into at all yet. I definately don't want to spend more than a few hundred right now, but if a head unit were worth it, I could wait.

355 awhp fp green six speed wagon in Corvette Atomic Orange
-Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-01-2009, 04:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

04wrxhart is an unknown
Uhm gauges are pretty expensive. All the nice ones ive seen are 100-150 for just the gauge and the wires etc. As far as a gauge pod goes, you could also mod your clock pod into a gauge pod with some bondo, fiberglass and a shit ton of sanding. I plan on doing mine one of these days when i can afford some gauges that look decent. But you shouldnt worry about it to much, if your car does something its not suppose to it will let you know via cel.
post #3 of 25 Old 05-01-2009, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to Chase is a WRX expert worth listening to
Well that's the point though man, When it blew a 2 inch chunk out of the side of my piston because it had been running lean, it let me know via cel that it was time to spend $2000 rebuilding it. I want some advance notice in the future.

I don't mind the pod expense, just curious mostly about gauges.

-Brandon
post #4 of 25 Old 05-02-2009, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Fine, I'm buying glowshift gauges because it's like 120 for 3 unless someone says otherwise. Is anyone running them that likes them? Glowshift is pretty big, so they've got to make at least decent gauges, right?

-Brandon
post #5 of 25 Old 05-02-2009, 05:12 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
I would go with prosport over glow shifts. Several people on here have ran the prosports and like them. Also heard that they have great customer service.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #6 of 25 Old 05-02-2009, 10:00 PM
WRXpert

nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to nagyhead is a WRX expert worth listening to
glowshifts suck, your are better off with out one. Prosports are the way to go, super cheap and they are accurate. Green Gauges- Prosport Gauges WRX Subaru gauges
the wideband is going to be the most expensive, expect to pay around 275 for a good gauge and sensor.

Dom Tuned 2003 WRX Wagon
251.3 WHP
235.8 WTQ

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
post #7 of 25 Old 05-03-2009, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate it.

-Brandon
post #8 of 25 Old 05-03-2009, 09:30 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase View Post
Fine, I'm buying glowshift gauges because it's like 120 for 3 unless someone says otherwise. Is anyone running them that likes them? Glowshift is pretty big, so they've got to make at least decent gauges, right?
So your woried about having to spend $2000 on another blown engine so your going to buy the cheapest gauges possible?You really don't even need a fuel pressure gauge.Oil,EGT,boost/vac and maybe something like a TurboXS knock sensor or wideband.I run one of these in my car(PSI3)

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #9 of 25 Old 05-03-2009, 01:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

oldfartracer is more helpful than not
AEM Uego wideband, Tur Boost and Oil Pressure is what I run, I also data log.
But I would say an AFR or EGT, boost and oil pressure will keep thing in check. Just remember that by the time the gauge shows a problem, it's normally too late.
post #10 of 25 Old 05-07-2009, 01:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful blk05WRX is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Anybody know if there are open ports to plug some of these gauges into? A friend's EVO had two open ports that he could plug an Air/Fuel ratio gauge into. Is it that easy on a WRX?

I know that boost is pretty easy b/c you just tap into a vacuum line. I want to get 3 gauges, but they're more for show, so I'd like to know which are the most straight forward to install. For an EGT, you have to drill into the exhaust, right?
post #11 of 25 Old 05-07-2009, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

For a wideband, yes. You have to tap a hole and weld in a nut to thread into.

I don't want the cheapest gauges possible, but I want some that aren't overpriced. There's no reason to spend a grand doing this. I'll go with prosport.

-Brandon
post #12 of 25 Old 05-07-2009, 03:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

wrx9wagon is a helpful contributing member
What would be the cons of just running Dashhawk?
post #13 of 25 Old 05-07-2009, 11:18 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Chase where do you plan on mounting them? Post up some pics also when you get them installed.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
post #14 of 25 Old 05-08-2009, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

glowshift's clock delete pod is only 40 dollars on their site, and it's not the aggressive hoodscoop style one, it's very lowkey and I like it. For the actual gauges I'll go with prosport, and have the bung welded in for the Wide band next time I take my car into RallyTek.

-Brandon
post #15 of 25 Old 05-08-2009, 12:48 AM

I kind of like the clock delete myself, but just not sure. Kind of been kicking around the idea of having 6 or 7 gauges total, just not exactly sure (I mean I know what ones I really want, EGT, boost, and wideband), or when I will be getting mine.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement