Subaru WRX Forum banner

TGV deletes!?!?

28K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  LW_Black4 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the site, this is my first post. I have a 2003 subaru wrx with, cobb accessport v3 running a stage 2 map on 91 octane, equal length headers, 3 inch turbo back catless exhaust. I'm gonna do a tgv delete soon and I need to know anything you can tell me about it because I don't know much about the car as I've only had it for 4 months. Mostly I'm concerned about clearing the cel code perminantly and the guy I bought it off said I could do that with the accessport some how. I'd much appreciate any information you can give me, thanks

#4 ·
The TGV's are there for Cold start an Low end Torque. Once car gets to operating temp they stay open I took mine out an had no codes. That was before I went and got tuned. I am not saying that it is ok.... just saying

#5 ·
I'm just going to take the butterfly plates out for my TVG delete, leaving the shafts and sensors in place and operating so that I don't get a CEL code.

That'll improve the intake breathing sufficiently for modest Stage 2 power levels.

#9 ·
I did mine when I put on my box of bolt-ons. So the intake manifold was already off. Taking the center rod that held the butterfly flaps on and sensors took about 10 minutes. It took about another 25 mins to tap the hole on each side where the sensors were and place plugs there. I left the dividers in but I think most people remove those as well. That would be in my mind the killer with cutting and then smoothing down the walls. When I go to rebuild my block in a few weeks I will be taking them to a shop so they can do it.

But as for the OP being worried about CEL's you can do the above as I did but then put the sensors back on and plug them in. As far as your car is concerned they are working!

#10 ·
Here's some before and afters of when I did mine.

Attachments

#13 ·
Can't really say Chris cause I did it along with a list of other mods all at once so that I would only have to pay for one tune. If op gets back on I can give some pointers or answer any questions about the process. Laszlo, if your just going to remove the butterflies then a word of advice is to grind the backs off the screws holding them in. Those screws are nearly impossible to get out without doing this. Your more likely to strip the head out trying than to get them out if you don't grind the back off.

#14 ·
My tuner did specifically say that the TGV's are designed to help Cold start and low end torque. So removing them isn't going to help low end torque but add better flow to your mid and upper range which in result will add extra power. But that extra power changes on your set-up.

#17 ·
@Mr.impreziv

The CEL code comes from removing the sensor. If you leave the TGV sensor in place you won't get a CEL.

The TGV butterfly valve shaft still partly-blocks the TGV (tumble generator valve) passage, so leaving it in is not as free-breathing as removing it too. At Stage 2 power though, this is not a problem.

Cheers,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.