Tactrix vs cobb - Subaru WRX Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-27-2016, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Exodus5656 is an unknown
Tactrix vs cobb

So I acquired a Cobb AP v2 for $20. Come to find out it was for an evo x. I'm going to sell it for a couple hundred and put it towards a v3. Through all my searching I found out about tactrix. My question is which is better. I know the Cobb has pre set tunes but a new AP is $650 and the tactrix is $169. Has open source tuning come along enough to be a better buy?

I have a stock 2012 wrx hatch and would like to start modding, but I am currently saving for an AP v3 so if tactrix is a competitive option I am more than happy to spend less!

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-27-2016, 06:55 AM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
the end result from both is the same.

tactrix is open source tuning. you need to know how to tune to you risk blowing up your engine. copp ap has pre-made maps called "off the shelf" maps that are developped by cobb specifically for your car with specific parts.

if you *JUST* found out about tactrix. it will be a while before your able to tune your car unless youre already a tuning wizard. but i doubt that as you havent heard of tactrix untill now.

i suggest you read this in full: RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | Documentation / RomRaider FAQ rom raider is the program used with tactrix (along with ecuflash) to tune your car.

also any protuner or e-tuner can tune with the cobb ap or opensource. but with opensource, at minimum u need a boost gauge and a wideband gauge, which is an extra cost. i dont know of a tuner that will opensource tune without a wideband or boost gauge.

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave

Last edited by titter; 01-27-2016 at 08:55 AM.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-27-2016, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Exodus5656 is an unknown
Well I have always wanted to learn to tune vehicles and it would be nice to know how to do it and I have a ton of rom raider bookmarks ready to read. I was just curious to which would be better. Since it is the same end result I am going to go with the cheaper alternative of the two. Boost gauge and wideband are fine as I wanted to get a boost gauge anyway. Just don't know which one to get. After reading some of the post on other forums courtesy of Google I am starting to think an EWG would be a good insurance in case boost peaks or boost becomes inconsistent. Rather run low sparatic boost than have a boost spike and blow my motor.

Any input on boost gauges and wideband?
post #4 of 18 Old 01-27-2016, 01:26 PM

mosc is known to be trustworthy and helpful mosc is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
you don't need an EWG for a 4-cylinder engine.
Exodus5656 likes this.

2015 STi: Still Stock
04 STi, 04 WRX: SOLD
post #5 of 18 Old 01-27-2016, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Exodus5656 is an unknown
@mosc Thanks for that info. This is my first FI car. So if I am having random boost spikes what is an effective method of releasing that pressure besides an EWG? If I am not mistaken the waste gate for the stock turbo is co trolled by the ecu.. I'm not sure how a manual boost controller would work in this situation.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-28-2016, 09:40 AM

mosc is known to be trustworthy and helpful mosc is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Can you describe "random boost spikes" as a symptom please? You might try a mechanic.

post #7 of 18 Old 01-29-2016, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Exodus5656 is an unknown
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
Can you describe "random boost spikes" as a symptom please? You might try a mechanic.

I read a post either on nasioc or clubwrx... Hellaybe here that was talking about an open source tune that had the turbo pushing peak boost at random times and sometimes pushing more boost than spec for the settings on the boost controller. Basically a tune that did not control the boost controller or wastegate properly causing the wastegate to be closed when it should be open. @titter mentioned to me that the open source tune was not done by a pro or knowledgeable individual, but a noob.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-29-2016, 09:42 AM

Garage
Sounds more like open loop/closed loop problems common on the EJ205. I don't think you'd run into that unless the tune is poorly done. There are wastegate control problems on subarus with more aggressive maps due to the boost control solenoid. Many recommend replacing it with a 3-port system rather than the T-line bleed off. It's not caused by the size of the wastegate it's caused by the air pressure in the line not staying perfectly proportional to your boost. 3-port uses a boost reading directly to control the wastegate arm.
Fidrat and Exodus5656 like this.

post #9 of 18 Old 01-31-2016, 02:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by titter View Post
also any protuner or e-tuner can tune with the cobb ap or opensource. but with opensource, at minimum u need a boost gauge and a wideband gauge, which is an extra cost. i dont know of a tuner that will opensource tune without a wideband or boost gauge.
Well, then just let me introduce you to one. I have the stock boost gauge and no wideband!!! Also he is tuning for 91oct something that Cobb can't do.  photo IMG_2458_zpsae90a691.jpg

Junior Barrios (link) JR Tuned At P&L Motorsports

"maps that are developped by cobb specifically for your car with specific parts." As long as those specific parts come specifically from Cobb.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-31-2016, 02:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by titter View Post
You need a wideband and a laptop to e-tune or custom tune with an AP too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
you don't need an EWG for a 4-cylinder engine.
That is completely absurd. Why would you even think that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidrat View Post
Well, then just let me introduce you to one. I have the stock boost gauge and no wideband!!! Also he is tuning for 91oct something that Cobb can't do.  photo IMG_2458_zpsae90a691.jpg
Junior Barrios (link) JR Tuned

You can tune without, but you're missing critical logging data. I would not run a tune without comprehensive logs being available. This is a multi-thousand dollar motor, not a $100 lawn mower engine. If you're not running a wideband you're basing your fuel maps on knock count and you're blind to other potential issues.
boo-key and Exodus5656 like this.
post #11 of 18 Old 01-31-2016, 03:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is a helpful contributing member
I personally can't tune anything. That is why I hired a professional. With or without comprehensive logs being available.I wouldn't know what I was looking at enough to interpret the data. It doesn't matter if I'm in the dark if I'm blind in the 1st place.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-31-2016, 07:56 AM
WRXtuners Member

titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention titter is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Garage
ok JR is a fkn wizard. hes an exception... along with a few others.

i just meant as a generalized statement.

you can run without shoes on, doesnt mean its a good idea

Bugeye EJ207 Spec C 4EAT Wagon
happiness is measured in smiles per gallon
dont forget to wave
post #13 of 18 Old 01-31-2016, 10:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

RoboTuner is a helpful contributing member
Maybe it's the mobile version but your profile doesn't say where you're located. Also how many miles are on it? If you live in an area that see cold temperatures (below 60/snow) or at high altitude (CO/etc), the factory ecu can't compensate for over boosting past a certain point. It's rare (from searching) that a stock wrx would do this, but hey each car is different.

Example: my bugeye has a stroker motor (2.17l) with full 3"catless exhaust, it was protuned using an APv3 when it was about 89 outside. When the temps drop below 65 I get boost above my target (upwards of 4-6 psi more than where we set it) and hesitation (fuel cut) due to the ecu not being able to compensate enough WasteGate Duty Cycle (WGDC). I also have a 3port ebcs (grimmspeed) and it doesn't fix the issue, reason below.

Regarding Mosc's comment about not needing an External WasteGate (EWG), having an ewg will allow more exhaust gases to bypass the turbine (which lowers compressor output aka boost). So of your stock turbo can't bypass enough efficiently that could be a mechanical problem that a tune cannot fix.

Then again it could be something else.
post #14 of 18 Old 02-02-2016, 12:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
I am JrTuned as well.

It's worth mentioning that OS should not really be considered for +'08 models. It's missing too many fields that are present with the AP. Not many tuners are savvy on tuning with OS as well because it doesn't allow you to lock the map, though there are a few out there that will still do it.
post #15 of 18 Old 02-02-2016, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Exodus5656 is an unknown
Alright an update and tale of where I am.

Cobb v2 AP is fixed!! The dealer let me unmarry it from the evo. Now I just need to sell it! Super stoked. Now I'm curious how much it will sell for.

Location is Hawaii, ###### why my rear strut popped. Roads here suck.

I plan on getting a three port boost controller and considering that I don't plan onuch more than stock if not stock I should be good with boost from what you are telling me. I am moving in 2017. Idk where to but I should be moving again then.

Great info, now if anybody here that is good with suspension check out my rubbing thread in prob diag I would appreciate it. I think I'm just being anal about stuff at this point. Convincing myself to spend money on everything I want.

$1,500 in tools can save you $10,000 in maintenance and repairs.

Every escape has it's cost.